Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Greenlight Launches

Valve has launched its proposed Steam Greenlight program to enlist community support for determining games to be released through the Steam service. Here's the deal:

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the launch of Steam Greenlight, a new platform feature that enlists the community's help in selecting some of the next games to be released on Steam.

Announced earlier this summer, Steam Greenlight allows developers and publishers to post information and media about their game in an effort to convince the Community that the game should be released on Steam. Greenlight piggybacks on Steam Workshop's flexible system that organizes content and lets customers rate and leave feedback.

"We've been working on this feature for the last few months with the input from a group of indie partners, and the response has been extremely positive," said Valve's Anna Sweet. "With the additional help of beta testers, we are able to launch with a solid line-up of titles for the community to start viewing and rating. And, as we've done with all Steam features, we intend to continually grow and modify Greenlight as more and more developers and community members have a chance to get involved."

As well as serving as a clearing house for game submissions, Greenlight provides an incredible level of added exposure for new games and an opportunity to connect directly with potential customers and fans.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Sep 2, 2012, 16:49 Dades

Apples to grapefruit. You can't compare the kind of trolls the most popular multiplayer FPS game attracts compared to a game approval service. It will die down, chill out.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 31, 2012, 14:36 Dev

Dades wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 12:41:
Dev wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 12:27:
Frijoles wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:30:
I figure it'll straighten itself up after a week or two when the trolls get bored and move on.

Oh and that happened in CS when? Its been going on 10 years and they are still there in the original game, trolls, hackers, griefers, etc.

There's a never ending supply of them, and since steam is ever increasing in popularity, as some of them move on, many more new ones will take their place.

CS is a game that people play together, Greenlight is not. Everything on the internet attracts trolls but hes just saying it will die down from the initial explosion, don't get your panties in a knot Olga Headphones
And greenlight is a games platform with a strong social component, and a constant influx of people, including brand new people, some of which are new trolls who will think its a great joke on their friends to make a new "game".

33. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 31, 2012, 12:41 Dades

Dev wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 12:27:
I figure it'll straighten itself up after a week or two when the trolls get bored and move on.

Oh and that happened in CS when? Its been going on 10 years and they are still there in the original game, trolls, hackers, griefers, etc.

There's a never ending supply of them, and since steam is ever increasing in popularity, as some of them move on, many more new ones will take their place.

CS is a game that people play together, Greenlight is not. Everything on the internet attracts trolls but hes just saying it will die down from the initial explosion, don't get your panties in a knot Olga Headphones

32. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 31, 2012, 12:27 Dev

31. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 31, 2012, 11:33 nin

John wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 11:20:
Yeah I know.. plus it seems the games need a LOT of votes to even be considered anyways. The most I've seen only has 8-9% of the necessary votes to be considered so far.

Contrast looks interesting. I like the design anyways: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92921128&searchtext=

Yeah, the two games I updated are still at like 1%, with over 10K views...so either people aren't voting or you need upwards of a million likes.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

30. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 31, 2012, 11:20 John

Yeah I know.. plus it seems the games need a LOT of votes to even be considered anyways. The most I've seen only has 8-9% of the necessary votes to be considered so far.

Contrast looks interesting. I like the design anyways: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92921128&searchtext=

This space is available for rent

29. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 31, 2012, 10:52 Dades

John wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 09:48:
Dev wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 21:51:
They do not check or verify anything AT ALL.

You're right! Someone posted a flight sim where you fly into the World Trade Center! That is some BS there. They should at least glance over the games to make sure nothing like that gets submitted. At least most people are giving it negative comments and thumbs down..

It doesn't matter, the games don't automatically go onto the store just because people vote them. Valve still vets the submissions themselves.

28. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 31, 2012, 10:32 nin

I hope you're right. It's a great idea that needs some tweaks here and there, and morons are ruining it for the legitimate folks...

27. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 31, 2012, 10:30 Frijoles

26. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 31, 2012, 10:13 Mr. Tact

Sounds like they need to put in place at least some cursory review process...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

25. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 31, 2012, 09:48 John

Dev wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 21:51:
They do not check or verify anything AT ALL.

You're right! Someone posted a flight sim where you fly into the World Trade Center! That is some BS there. They should at least glance over the games to make sure nothing like that gets submitted. At least most people are giving it negative comments and thumbs down..

24. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 30, 2012, 21:51 Dev

John wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 14:33:
Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 14:27:
They need to rethink parts of this, some fans are going to nominate games that are potentially stolen. I hope they have some oversight on this.

I would think they (Steam) checks for stuff like that before they allow it to be voted on.

They do not check or verify anything AT ALL. That isn't interesting or fun to valve. Remember their stated goal in doing this is to REDUCE the workload and only look at the top community games, so community does the boring work for them. They don't want to spend 24/7 policing this. Unfortunately for them, the way they set it up, any random griefer, troll, or fanboy can submit any game under the sun, or a made up game. Fanboys are submitting games they have no right to (devs are supposed to submit) that they want to see on steam. Trolls and griefers are submitting games that are already on steam, or made up games, or doing pron for pics of the game.

Valve is banning, but its only a community tab ban and only for 1 week. Not nearly enough.

IMHO, it should be a minimum of a week long total steam account ban for first offense. Otherwise this is going to turn into a infested mess and nothing much useful come out of greenlight. It should also be required that you have purchased a steam game to submit anything, so you can't just create a steam account for free and spam more.

Make sure if you like a project, to try and verify that its been put there by the real devs and not fanboys who like it, or trolls who might be trying to steal money out of a project.

Another valve release project that didn't have nearly enough forethought or testing put into it.

On the other hand, if they can get past the growing pains, hand out heavier bans, make submitting a project have a few more requirements, it could be something really great. I'd love to get some good community voted projects into steam that valve seems to ignore. My 500+ steam games aren't enough yet

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2012, 22:22.

23. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 30, 2012, 21:49 nin

It appears that the order is constantly being updated or something.

Yeah, it's a PITA.

22. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 30, 2012, 21:43 John

nin wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 19:17:
A few things:

It would really help to see what's popular/trending...

Also, when I hit the back button after viewing a project, I'm taking back to the page I was on, but some of the projects have changed.

Pretty sure I've seen the same project on multiple pages a few times...

I like it, but trying to shoehorn it into the existing steam workshop format isn't doing it any favors...

It appears that the order is constantly being updated or something. Don't know if it's from people "uprating" it or new games being added to the list though. It would be nice to sort by popularity too.

21. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 30, 2012, 21:23 Bhruic

Clancy wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 19:25:
They are not checking things before hand it seems...
SirTech is DEAD, yet, now Wizardy 8 is back from the dead ?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92970331&searchtext=

Smells really fishy.

Already been taken down:
This item has been banned for either violating the Steam Terms of Service or the Terms of Service for Greenlight.

20. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 30, 2012, 19:25 Clancy

They are not checking things before hand it seems...
SirTech is DEAD, yet, now Wizardy 8 is back from the dead ?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92970331&searchtext=

Smells really fishy.

19. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 30, 2012, 19:17 nin

A few things:

It would really help to see what's popular/trending...

Also, when I hit the back button after viewing a project, I'm taking back to the page I was on, but some of the projects have changed.

Pretty sure I've seen the same project on multiple pages a few times...

I like it, but trying to shoehorn it into the existing steam workshop format isn't doing it any favors...

18. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 30, 2012, 17:50 Prez

Awesome AWESOME idea. It's going to be a bit of a chaotic mess at first but in the long run I think that this is going to be EXACTLY what PC gamers want - a say so in what gets created and published.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

17. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 30, 2012, 17:29 eRe4s3r

It was Medal of Honor ^^  

16. Re: Steam Greenlight Launches Aug 30, 2012, 16:45 Rhino

John wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 16:10:
nin wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 15:33:
Here's my pick, watch the first video...

For some reason the videos aren't working for me.. just shows white. Hmmm

I had that with a few and found that clicking off of the video and onto a screenshot and then back a few times finally triggered the video to play.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo