Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I need to try to help Hudson the wonder dog, as her annual bout with skin allergies has sprung up virtually overnight, and she is suddenly spending a great deal of her time attempting to chew all the hair off the base of her tail. Hopefully a bath and some topical treatments will help with this, because the poor thing seems completely miserable at the moment. Also, the bald butt look is not working for her.

Itchy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Trafficator 2.
Links: What If?: Gaming's Alternate Realities.
Stories: Police: 100-year-old driver hits 11 near LA school.
Raimi Wins "Evil Dead" Legal Dispute.
Secret Service Detail Leaves Gun Unattended on Romney's Charter Flight.
Media: Unbelievably Epic Skyrim Battle of Dawnguard.
Cat chasing dog chasing leash.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2012, 08:39 DNForever

That data is nice and official, but to keep moving up the ages will just delay where you have that initial increase in accidents due to inexperience.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2012, 04:22 Bet

Blue wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 17:58:
Julio wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 17:17:
No need for any driving tests, just take away their licenses at 75. Easy, cheap and by the time I get there I'll be happy to not be driving anymore.

It will free up traffic for those who can actually drive (and save some lives).

They should take the 100 year old who did this out back and shoot him.
Fatal accidents per 1000 drivers (by age) from 2009 (National Safety Council).

Any guesses what it shows?

19-under: 38
20-24: 36
25-34: 24
35-44: 20
45-54: 20
55-64: 18
65-74: 18
75-over: 28

Yes there's a jump for the elderly, which makes them slightly worse than 25-34 year olds. However, you'd make the roads *far* safer by banning drivers under 25 than those over 75. Not to mention how many more of them there are in total.

Just sayin'...

Source
That would explain why the 40,000+ highway fatalities a year aren't all caused by the elderly?!

Now who's going to volunteer to drive around those above age 65 to where they need to go? Emphasis on the 'volunteer', as in, not paid, on demand, in the middle of the day. Like the people driving themselves at that age as it is.

Logistics.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2012, 01:19 PHJF

jimnms wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 23:39:
PHJF wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 18:01:
THE DIFFERENCE IS YOUNG PEOPLE HAVE LIVES TO LIVE AND IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO.

Like play video games.

You're forgetting that young people also think they're invincible.

I am, as long as I DDQD.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 23:39 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 18:01:

Like play video games.

You're forgetting that young people also think they're invincible.

MeanJim on Steam

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 21:42 nin

Sepharo wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 20:59:
We took my grandpa's keys away when dementia kicked in at 80. He was ready to fight us over it, gave my grandmother hell, and regularly said things like "Well, I may as well just kill myself now." My grandma never drove so it essentially took away their "lives" since they were avid shoppers and bingo players. Tough stuff.

My grandfather got his taken away 5-10 years ago after driving on the highway in the wrong direction at night. Amazingly, no one was injured...I don't think it even made the papers.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 21:26 Cutter

Blue wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 17:58:
No need for any driving tests, just take away their licenses at 75. Easy, cheap and by the time I get there I'll be happy to not be driving anymore.

Yes there's a jump for the elderly, which makes them slightly worse than 25-34 year olds. However, you'd make the roads *far* safer by banning drivers under 25 than those over 75. Not to mention how many more of them there are in total.

Just sayin'...

Source

Yes, but looking at the stats there's half the old drivers that there are young that cause those fatalaties so that percentage doubles, which is huge. Even when you break down the numbers on general accidents they're still responsible for the lion share of them given the numbers of actual drivers.

And none of this also takes into account where these things take place. If you're retired and living in the country you're considerably less likely to have any of these problems. And living out there you do actually need to be mobile. Major cities, not so much. That's why I want to retire to the country.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 20:59 Sepharo

We took my grandpa's keys away when dementia kicked in at 80. He was ready to fight us over it, gave my grandmother hell, and regularly said things like "Well, I may as well just kill myself now." My grandma never drove so it essentially took away their "lives" since they were avid shoppers and bingo players. Tough stuff.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 20:39 DNForever

Driving is more dangerous and unpredictable than flying, and pilots aren't allowed to fly commercially after age 65.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 19:35 PHJF

But that 20 bucks wouldn't even begin to cover the actual cost of a project like this, and that's disregarding the administrative side of it. It'd likely cost several hundred dollars per person per year. And again, who's going to pay for all that?

Social Security!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 19:08 WarPig

It's tough, my 72 year old mom is still one of the best drivers I know. She still drives how I think of as "aggressively well" (for example she aggressively accelerates into traffic when needed and is always aware of what's going on well in front and behind her). My grandma, on the other hand, was scary as hell. Turns out she was slipping into dementia well before it was obvious to anyone around her. She's in a home now but at the time they would have had to take her car to keep her from driving.  

GO SEAHAWKS!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 18:51 Creston

Cutter wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 15:18:
55 is way too young. Even the 60s. So post retirement 70+ would be the time to start. And as I said, it could be a nominal fee that would amount to what it cost to renew your license every 5 years - so like $20 per year. If they can't afford that they can't afford to drive anyway.

But that 20 bucks wouldn't even begin to cover the actual cost of a project like this, and that's disregarding the administrative side of it. It'd likely cost several hundred dollars per person per year. And again, who's going to pay for all that?

Creston

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 18:36 Linthat22

Blue, as mentioned above have you tried Benadryl? It's 25mg per 50 pounds for dogs.

Also, if you want a more natural solution to your dogs allergies, you might want to look at Serrapeptase. It's great for all sorts of things, especially allergies. You can get it where it's a powder in pill form and put it in your dogs water (it's odorless and tasteless) or give him the entire thing. Just thought you'd like to know about another more natural option.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 18:01 PHJF

Yes there's a jump for the elderly, which makes them slighly worse than 25-34 year olds. However, you'd make the roads *far* safer by banning drivers under 25 than those over 75.

Like play video games.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 17:58  Blue 

Just sayin'...

Source

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 17:17 Julio

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 16:40 SectorEffector

Apply water to the affected areas before going to bed, sometimes the allergies get worse when the skin is dry.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 16:08 Mr. Tact

Gotta agree with Creston on this -- even at 70+ the states don't have the money to do it. Yes, even with the $20 fee.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 15:18 Cutter

Creston wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 13:46:
The idea is nice, but who's going to pay for that? The State? They already don't have enough money.

Who's going to do all the exams? The DMV instructors? They already have lines out the door and keep complaining they need more instructors.

Who's going to enforce it? The police? They already don't have time to do anything but write speeding tickets... oh wait, that one would actually work.

The idea's been bandied about forever. Holland was on the verge of actually implementing a system for everyone over 55, but the simple fact of the matter is that you're talking about testing MILLIONS of people every single year (Especially now with all the baby-boomers having reached retirement age.) The costs and administrative burdens are just astronomical.

I agree with the sentiment, but simply mandating a test just isn't feasible.

Creston

55 is way too young. Even the 60s. So post retirement 70+ would be the time to start. And as I said, it could be a nominal fee that would amount to what it cost to renew your license every 5 years - so like $20 per year. If they can't afford that they can't afford to drive anyway.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 13:46 Creston

Cutter wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 13:32:

I think from 70 onward they should have to renew or at least be tested once a year, two at the outside. From 80 on, definitely every year. It should be free or a very small nominal cost. After all it's not like they have anything else to do. Perhaps they should be restricted like new drivers are.

The idea is nice, but who's going to pay for that? The State? They already don't have enough money.

Who's going to do all the exams? The DMV instructors? They already have lines out the door and keep complaining they need more instructors.

Who's going to enforce it? The police? They already don't have time to do anything but write speeding tickets... oh wait, that one would actually work.

The idea's been bandied about forever. Holland was on the verge of actually implementing a system for everyone over 55, but the simple fact of the matter is that you're talking about testing MILLIONS of people every single year (Especially now with all the baby-boomers having reached retirement age.) The costs and administrative burdens are just astronomical.

I agree with the sentiment, but simply mandating a test just isn't feasible.

Creston

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2012, 13:32 Cutter

According to California's Department of Motor Vehicles, people over age 70 must renew their driver's license in person, rather than via the Internet or by mail. Older drivers can also be required to take a supplemental driving test if they fail a vision exam, or if a police officer, a physician, or a family member raises questions about their ability to drive.

I think from 70 onward they should have to renew or at least be tested once a year, two at the outside. From 80 on, definitely every year. It should be free or a very small nominal cost. After all it's not like they have anything else to do. Perhaps they should be restricted like new drivers are.

I've just seen too many on the road that are dangerous because they're situationally unaware. Also many of them drive so slow it also becomes a danger with frustrated drivers behind them trying to get around them. People need to remember that driving is a privilege, not a right.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo