Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming

"Our engine is definitely portable, it could be operated on many platforms, but that's where our market is," EA Maxis lead producer Kip Katsarelis tells GamesIndustry International speaking about PC gaming. "We're still seeing the PC market is not dead, it's very much alive. Blizzard's shown quite a bit of success with their recent Diablo launch, The Sims is highly successful, so there's a market there, we've got an audience there that wants games on that platform, and we are still a PC house and will continue to be so."

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

15. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 06:07 NetHead

Jerykk wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 05:06:
Unfortunately, D3's 6+ million sales don't really suggest that consumers are against always-online DRM. Rather, it suggests that they don't care about DRM at all provided that your game has sufficient hype and marketing.

I wouldn't say that, if anything it just shows how established Diablo is and how much it's fans are willing to go through to get it. It's clear noone likes being forced to be online for single player games, some might not care but noone goes "oh that's a great feature for a single player game, I love potential disconnects, being unable to play, lag, hackers, possibility of the game becoming unplayable in future etc". They put up with it because they have to

Also all the hype and marketing in the world will not make a game sell like that, again this is Diablo, something that's had a massive fan base for over a decade with them all waiting over a decade just between Diablo 2 and 3, just like people are waiting for Half Life 3 except Diablo goes back even further.

What I would instead say what that suggests is that most fans of established games are willing to put up with more to play those games and publishers know this and make them jump through more hoops and tie things to those games, of which DRM is not the only downside.

The success of Diablo 3 and all it's nonsense people put up with is only possible with a rare few game franchises and when that is the case people already want the game so much marketing has almost nothing to do with it, it's more of a case of "if you build it they will come".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 05:06 Jerykk

Unfortunately, D3's 6+ million sales don't really suggest that consumers are against always-online DRM. Rather, it suggests that they don't care about DRM at all provided that your game has sufficient hype and marketing.  

13. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 04:49 Paketep

Yep, there's a huge market, but they are not going to taste shit unless they drop their stupid always-online DRM. Especially after D3.  

12. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 03:45 Prez

mag wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 02:39:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 23:57:
I think they listed D3 as an example because it sold like 6 million units in a week and is the fastest selling PC game of all time.

They already announced that the next Sim City would be always-online.

I completely forgot about that. Damn - more depression. Pouting

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 02:57 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 02:50:
PHJF wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 01:07:
Except Skyrim isn't a PC exclusive?

People have estimated the PC version has outsold both consoles combined.

That's fairly unlikely but I wouldn't be surprised if it at least outsold the PS3 version. I do wonder why Bethesda hasn't released any platform-specific sales figures yet. Maybe their DLC exclusivity contract with MS prohibits them from announcing sales figures if the Xbox version isn't the top-seller. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if such a clause existed. That's how MS rolls.

10. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 02:50 jacobvandy

PHJF wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 01:07:

People have estimated the PC version has outsold both consoles combined.

9. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 02:39 mag

I think they listed D3 as an example because it sold like 6 million units in a week and is the fastest selling PC game of all time.

They already announced that the next Sim City would be always-online.

8. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 01:24 eRe4s3r

Still a better game than Diablo 3 though  

7. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 01:07 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 00:19 Mashiki Amiketo

Pretty much. Though they could have used Skyrim too which would be an excellent example. D3 for fast selling, Skyrim for longevity and modability IMO.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

5. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 30, 2012, 00:18 Bhruic

Prez wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 23:33:
For me it's a little disheartening that they invoke Diablo 3 as an example, which kind of implies that they would consider releasing DRM-laden online only games as the "future".

Considering their plans for SimCity, it's not exactly a surprise they'd have no issues with requiring a connection to play the game. EA has been pushing hard to shoehorn "social" aspects of gaming into everything they can.

Although emulating the sales for Diablo 3 probably wouldn't make them upset either.

4. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 29, 2012, 23:57 Jerykk

3. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 29, 2012, 23:33 Prez

For me it's a little disheartening that they invoke Diablo 3 as an example, which kind of implies that they would consider releasing DRM-laden online only games as the "future".  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 29, 2012, 21:48 Sepharo

Well Maxis that's good to hear but unfortunately like the Spec Ops devs you have a cancerous growth.  

1. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 29, 2012, 21:44 Dev

But ZOMG PC GAMING IS DEAD! ZOMG What about teh piratez?

Incidentally, I'd buy sims 3 if they offered a complete pack for a reasonable price. $350 is NOT.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo