Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Warcraft Patched

Version 5.0.4 is now live in World of Warcraft, adding account-wide achievements, a new world event, AOE looting, BattleTag support, and more to Blizzard's MMORPG. These patch notes have all the details, and there is also this handy version 5.0.4 Survival Guide that tells you more of what you need to know about all this.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

9. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 07:04 Wallshadows

Now I can sport my Herald of the Titans title while sitting on my Zulian Tiger! It's almost enough to get me to log in for 10 minutes until I go back to GW2.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 04:48 Muscular Beaver

The changes are horrible.
I mean, I knew it would be bad, after reading the patch notes and hearing for the first time how they want to dumb the game down even more, but the reality is much worse than even I thought.

The talent trees are a joke now. Lots of specs feel completely different now. You cant choose important talents anymore, because there is another more important one in the same tier. Lots of skills, talents and parts of those are gone. For example a rogue has to decide between preparation and shadow step. Wouldnt be such a huge deal, since shadow step is awesome, but they increased cooldown of several skills, which makes preparation mandatory in PvP, but at the same time, youre also screwed without shadow step. You can also no longer choose between the poisons you want to use. Theres now 2 different types of poisons and only one of each can be used. One talented and one normal. No more possibility to use crippling poison and wound poison together.

As I said, too much class changes again. The whole game feels completely different, similar to when they took away tree form and root breaking from druids, but much worse actually.

Its extremely dumbed down, to a point where I can no longer say that I know this game.

I am pretty sure the achievement whores and bling bling freaks will love it again, since they care more about their mounts and pets than the actual gameplay, but this will be the first expansion I wont buy.

Oh and yeah, the classes have become even more similar now. Everyone seems to have CC, heals and running speed abilities now, and the classes that really need those or are defined by them, have not been altered or have actually been nerfed.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

7. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 00:06 eunichron

nin wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 21:54:
It really REALLY depends on who you talk to. Some wax nostalgic about how vanilla was so much better, how change is bad, et cetera...

Very true words. I came back after a year and a half, and I'm looking forward to the changes and the expansion, as it seems to be more of a shift back to the casual side. And seeing as how I'm not going back to raiding 9+ hours a week, I welcome that. But there's a lot of vocal folks that lament any changes that make the game easier in any way.

It almost seems like Blizzard alternates with expansions, with ones geared towards the hardcore (BC, and to a lesser extent Cata) and ones that encourage more fun and playing with friends over hardcore raiding (LK and now Pandaland).

I'll also say the same thing I said a few weeks ago: The people that have played this game for years and years straight and grumble about the state of things are burnt out. They don't know it (or they're in denial), but they are. I've been in that position, and I've seen a lot of friends go through the same thing. Coming back after a year and a half gone feels like a breath of fresh air.

I was one of those people until I jumped on a 1.11 private server and realized that vanilla really wasn't the best. It was great fun, and I have a ton of fond memories from the game in that era, but it was rough around the edges and needed a lot of refinement. To that regard, TBC was the pinnacle of the game in my opinion. The raid/dungeon design of that era was amazing, and the lore behind them was well done and well presented.

Though I also don't get how people say that Cataclysm was a "hardcore" expansion. As a (former) hardcore raider I thought it was just as easy and dumbed down as WotLK was. It wasn't just tuned for casuals, it was tuned for "bads". It was entirely too forgiving of mistakes, and we saw the introduction of LFR. While LFR gave "casual" players (I say "casual" because many of them I ran into played the game more than I did as a hardcore raider) a chance to see the raids, it was a massive joke. I tried it on a few alts and half the raid was AFK, it required no thought, it was literally push a button to receive gear. The sad part is is that the normal mode raids weren't that much more difficult, and yet for whatever reason people flocked to and praised LFR because raiding was "hardcore" and thus a waste of time (because hey, people that spend 6 hours a day trolling /trade have lives to attend to). On that note the hard mode were just more of the same, just MOAR DAMAGE, MOAR HEALING, nothing really new or interesting about them.

In any case, I canceled my account the day they announced Pandas. I quit the game early this year after my guild finished hard modes. The dungeons and raids have become progressively uninteresting and boring. The lore is a joke, the classes have become so homogenized that no class has any distinguishing qualities other than being DPS, healer, or tank, and they've rehashed content to the point that it almost is like playing vanilla again. I uninstalled it back in February and haven't looked back.

6. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 28, 2012, 23:29 Dwarf-Snowninja

Likewise Nin; I was in the first co-op that killed Ragnaros and Nefarion in vanilla, whenever I hear "oh it was great back in the day" I shudder and think of the time spent killing these dumb fire elementals for hours and hours.
I was in the beta and played quite often and, despite the detractors, it felt far more enjoyable an expansion than Cataclysm or even WotLK was.

As to compare it to GW2, I think it's a matter of tastes, I revile pvp, as I'm bad at it, and because I burned myself out on it. I enjoyed GW1 and I may take a look at GW2, but I think they cater to different crowds, and won't ever agree that one is better than the other (claiming one form of fun is better than another is rather silly to me anyways).

Edit: and yes I like that too Alamar >.> I can have all my characters run around as "so and so the Insane".

5. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 28, 2012, 23:00 Alamar

As someone that never much cared for collecting mounts/pets, this patch is AWESOME...

I now have Raven Lord and Hippogryph on all my chars... and that's damned sexy : )

-Alamar

4. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 28, 2012, 21:54 nin

It really REALLY depends on who you talk to. Some wax nostalgic about how vanilla was so much better, how change is bad, et cetera...

Very true words. I came back after a year and a half, and I'm looking forward to the changes and the expansion, as it seems to be more of a shift back to the casual side. And seeing as how I'm not going back to raiding 9+ hours a week, I welcome that. But there's a lot of vocal folks that lament any changes that make the game easier in any way.

It almost seems like Blizzard alternates with expansions, with ones geared towards the hardcore (BC, and to a lesser extent Cata) and ones that encourage more fun and playing with friends over hardcore raiding (LK and now Pandaland).

I'll also say the same thing I said a few weeks ago: The people that have played this game for years and years straight and grumble about the state of things are burnt out. They don't know it (or they're in denial), but they are. I've been in that position, and I've seen a lot of friends go through the same thing. Coming back after a year and a half gone feels like a breath of fresh air.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 28, 2012, 21:40 ColoradoHoudini

I'd be curious to know the actual population difference, if any, that WoW has gone and will undergo due to the gem of a game that is Guild Wars 2.
Of course, how much staying power GW2 has remains to be seen.. but so far, it's amazing.

2. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 28, 2012, 21:25 Dwarf-Snowninja

It really REALLY depends on who you talk to. Some wax nostalgic about how vanilla was so much better, how change is bad, et cetera... The changes will take some time to settle, but overall I'd argue they're for the better. The account wide changes are actually quite welcome. As for specifics, I mostly play a shaman and while jarring, the new talent system let you play a bit more "as you like/as you need" and less "you have to take talent x or you're bad".

1. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 28, 2012, 21:13 DrSquick

I haven't played WOW in several years, but I do have to give it to them, they really put a lot of effort into continuously improving the game. I am a bit out of touch, but can any current WOW players comment on these changes? Are they positive for the game?  

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo