Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

World of Warcraft Patched

Version 5.0.4 is now live in World of Warcraft, adding account-wide achievements, a new world event, AOE looting, BattleTag support, and more to Blizzard's MMORPG. These patch notes have all the details, and there is also this handy version 5.0.4 Survival Guide that tells you more of what you need to know about all this.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 30, 2012, 13:36 MattyC

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 10:44:
Oh, I don't know -- I even had fun in the suppression room, and I was doing it as a Paladin most of the time. And as you mentioned, there wasn't THAT much trash. Heck, the instance started out with two boss fights and no trash. (Or am I remembering it wrong?)

You remember it right. It was Razorgore and then Vael (no idea if I am spelling those correctly) right at the start. Some of the trash could be really fun. You had those mobs that took extra damage to certain types of magic and, IIRC, you could also take their resists into negative values with curse of shadow and curse of elements. This could lead to some insane crit damage.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 30, 2012, 10:44 Mr. Tact

Oh, I don't know -- I even had fun in the suppression room, and I was doing it as a Paladin most of the time. And as you mentioned, there wasn't THAT much trash. Heck, the instance started out with two boss fights and no trash. (Or am I remembering it wrong?)  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

27. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 30, 2012, 10:29 MattyC

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 21:26:
Yeah, the BWL trash was tough, but it was also fun. At least I thought so. You forgot Naxxramas which was excellent. I was so happy in WotLK when they revamped/re-released it. That was awesome.

Other than the suppression room (which suuuucccckkkkkeeedd) BWL is still one of my favorite raids. Ignoring the SR it really didn't have that much trash.

26. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 30, 2012, 05:07 .Drifter

They apparently screwed up the launcher for the 64-bit client. Won't run it, gives a "critical file failed to launch" error, but you can directly launch the client from the game folder.
Not even the beta has this issue, lol.

25. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 21:26 Mr. Tact

Yeah, the BWL trash was tough, but it was also fun. At least I thought so. You forgot Naxxramas which was excellent. I was so happy in WotLK when they revamped/re-released it. That was awesome.  

24. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 17:35 Dwarf-Snowninja

I would argue that while the talents give some fairly lackluster choices in regards to dps/hps throughput, many were put in simply for pvp/cc/defense reasons. I cannot agree that classes are homogenized to the degree where a shaman = paladin = druid, especially with regard to playstyle.
Prior to this patch, as enhancement, you basically took one of 2 cookie cutter builds, or your dps suffered and you were generally ridiculed, likewise for a hunter... mage... and every single class. Now it's usually take this one talent and leave the rest up to the player. I won't defend the patch and say it's all roses, hardly, but it's a lot better than having to lookup a character build and copy the billion other shaman/druid/paladin/whatever because it was the only viable option.
And content in vanilla? You had MC, with it's gigantically spread out bosses, bwl with the trash from hell, aq20/zg were fun I won't deny, and aq40 which had pvp loot as rewards for half the fights and was again a giant spread out mess.
As someone else said TBC felt like the pinnacle with regards to raiding, and yes the raiding now is simplified to the point of silliness, including hardmodes.

23. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 13:33 MattyC

Yeah a lot of me thinks I just have no real desire to go back (other than playing with friends who do still play). The other bit of me wonders if they had a lot of the stuff they have added / are adding for MoP would I have even got so burned out in the first place?  

22. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 12:27 Verno

Fair points. The majority of my play time was before EJ became such a massive resource but I played a fair bit after that as well and we still figured out our own builds. I remember going dual wield Frost for DK raiding long before it was a "thing" on EJ and largely did it to differentiate myself from other people in the guild and because it was fun, imagine that

I still feel like this removes a lot of build diversity though, however narrowly defined that might be. I think the reality is that this is simpler to understand for people and easier on them balance wise as opposed to any motives regarding guided builds on other websites.

Oh well, either way I've been done with WoW for awhile so this is just interesting reading more than anything else. It was a great game while it lasted and did a lot of great things for the MMO market. I just hope they don't undo a lot of those advancements in a desire to widen mass market appeal, the reality is simply that no game lasts forever.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

21. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 12:02 MattyC

Verno wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 11:00:
Haha ok reading into this further I have to revise my earlier statement to be a bit harsher. Some of these changes sound dumb. Stuff like mana pools being capped and one talent from each line kills build diversity. The people who were calling this total homogenization seem to be correct. Also some of their changes just toss out all legacy support for the sake of it. Head enchants were just tossed and if you had one well tough.

Some of the game has evolved considerably over the years while other parts they just change arbitrarily to give people something new to dick around with before getting bored and repeating the cycle.

I am not sure how I feel about the talents now, but lets not pretend there was ever a lot of build diversity. Maybe in PvP, but not in serious PvE (unless that was a mid-late Cata or very late Wrath thing that I would not have been around for).

I was more talking about content and ways to access it than mechanics when I said I thought they were improving.

20. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 11:46 Alamar

Verno wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 11:00:
Haha ok reading into this further I have to revise my earlier statement to be a bit harsher. Some of these changes sound dumb. Stuff like mana pools being capped and one talent from each line kills build diversity. The people who were calling this total homogenization seem to be correct. Also some of their changes just toss out all legacy support for the sake of it. Head enchants were just tossed and if you had one well tough.

Some of the game has evolved considerably over the years while other parts they just change arbitrarily to give people something new to dick around with before getting bored and repeating the cycle.

I don't know... I played a lot of competitive WoW over the years, and one thing I learned, is that talent points rarely mattered...

With BC and later, most players were going to sites like elitist jerks, that spoon fed them their optimal talents, stat priorities (ironically, wrong for most people), and rotations...

So while EJ isn't perfect, they do have a lot of math friendly people that were willing to put in the hundreds (some thousands) of hours to test which talents were best, and after that was all done, you usually had the 'perfect' spec, with maybe ~3 talents left over for fluff (run speed boosts and the like)...

The new system, that's all been simplified, and many of the talent trees offer some interesting choices. So just like the backlash they had with Diablo 3 and removing pointless stat allocations (which were only in the game to let people make bad choices), people call this 'dumbed down' and ironically, with less choices...

Now, to counter my own point about choices, in a few months, there will be optimal 'you must use these' talent builds for each spec, but even after that, most trees include 3+ tiers of 'utility' (sometimes pvp, sometimes defense/fun/wonky) abilities...

Such as... Druids can choose between a passive speed buff, a blink ability (shoot forward and stealth - awesome for pvp/escape), and a charge... That's a really tough choice for me; if I ever want to pvp, I love the middle one, even for moonkin/healer, but I'll also really miss charge, and passive speed buffs are always fun : )

In short, I like change, so I'm already at a different spot than most people : ) I'm looking forward to relearning classes, though I do feel a bit of regret now that I can't state 'I am competitive with every spec of every class', because enough of them changed just enough for them to need a few hours of finagglin : )

I'm also really looking forward to content I can do with less people, because I like to play with friends, and I haven't been replacing them as they go, so our guild has shrunk over time : ) (Area 52, Horde, Dialectic, if anyone here is somewhat interested : )

-Alamar

19. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 11:00 Verno

18. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 10:36 MattyC

They seem to be correcting a lot of what I felt was wrong/boring in Cata. Still not sure if I will go back, but they at least have my attention again.  

17. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 10:03 xXBatmanXx

yea, one of the things is the obvious monthly fee to a barrier for me to play. I play far too many games to concentrate just on one and pay a monthly fee for it.

For this reason, I enjoy the GW games. They are more casual and I can jump in and out as I see fit. There are still several missions I need to complete in the trilogy, and I have yet to touch Eye of the North. Which is probably why I didn't preorder GW2.

I look forwad to GW2, and if WoW goes totally free to play, not a level cap, I may try it out, I just have a hard time getting into those games. Hell, I have a hard time completing Skyrim, Oblivion, Witcher, and Fallout games....they are such large time investments, that if you don't stick with it for a duration, it is just best to start over.....and I just don't get those chuncks of time in my life anymore. CoD, DoD, CS fit my playstyle and time allotment better.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 09:37 Verno

I don't know, I'm sure there will be some overlap but I feel like GW2 shoots for an entirely different type of player than WoW. I've seen many obvious WoW refugees in the game and many of them don't do well. WoW really ushered in the MMO era of positive reinforcement and guided experiences then successfully married it to item collection and grinding. GW2 does positive reinforcement well but its a game where loot takes a back seat and the game can be really punishing, I just don't see many WoW players taking that in stride.

But hey I'm probably wrong, people grinded shitty raids for years and that includes a ton of the more laidback casual style player.

15. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 09:30 wtf_man

As for GW2 taking WoW Players...

I think there will be some. Many are burned out on WoW. Of course, most have them haven't played or been subbed to WoW for a while now, and some friends have told me that the Panda thing won't even bring them back. So, as the word spreads amongst the "already quit" to their friends that still play... I think there will be a decent chunk that will switch to GW2. It won't be drastic like 80% of their currently active player base.... more like 10%... but that's still a HUGE chunk when you think in terms of WoW's numbers. Some of that will be natural "bleed off" that has been going on already... but GW2 will probably accelerate that "bleed off" some, IMO.

14. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 09:24 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 09:08:
I am utterly amazed people still play this game. If they ONLY play WoW - they are missing out on years of great gaming....

That was always my big problem with WoW. When I used to play you couldn't really play casually and get anything done other than collecting some tokens to maybe buy a piece of gear in 2 weeks. I spent like 4 years playing that game and missed out on some awesome games

13. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 09:22 Mr. Tact

There are people still playing EQ. I'd guess there are some people who play WoW exclusively, not a ton. Even when I was playing 30-40 hours a week I took breaks by playing other games.  

12. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 09:08 xXBatmanXx

I am utterly amazed people still play this game. If they ONLY play WoW - they are missing out on years of great gaming....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 08:24 Mr. Tact

I played from Dec. 2004 through Dec. 2011 with a single six month break just before the release of Cata. Raided in Vanilla, WotLK, and Cata, but not TBC. TBC was my "break from raiding" after being in a guild for 14 months that raided 20 hours a week.

The game has changed so much over time, it's barely the same game. I agree that it appears the new skill system for this expansion seems to be a large dumbing down of the game. That's bad IMHO. I agree there has been a homogenizing of the classes. That's both good and bad. It's nice that you don't have to have specific classes to get specific types of healing, damage, or buffs but it also mean there isn't any effective difference between playing a Warrior or a Death Knight, etc.

It was a good game. It is a good game. It's just not the same game it was. I think it is legitimate to say you did like it but now you don't, or you didn't like it but now you do, or you always liked it, or you never liked it.

Personally, nothing about the new skill system seems attractive, I prefer the more complex mechanism. The new content, meh. It doesn't excite me at all. So, while I thought I might come back for the expansion when I left in Dec. It doesn't look like I will.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2012, 08:58.

10. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 07:42 Dades

nin wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 21:54:
It really REALLY depends on who you talk to. Some wax nostalgic about how vanilla was so much better, how change is bad, et cetera...

Very true words. I came back after a year and a half, and I'm looking forward to the changes and the expansion, as it seems to be more of a shift back to the casual side. And seeing as how I'm not going back to raiding 9+ hours a week, I welcome that. But there's a lot of vocal folks that lament any changes that make the game easier in any way.

There is easy and then there is simplified and boring. Vanilla and the early expansions were very rough and unfinished but they had enough there to dig your teeth into. Long raids sucked, very few people will defend spending 5 hours a night repeating the same thing. I'm talking about the talent system and having some character customization. WOW has become a boring, diluted mess, making your character your own was a big thing and you can only really do that with gear now. I want to do more than play dress up and collect pets, maybe other people don't but that still sucks.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo