Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 31, 2012, 15:39 Flatline

killer_roach wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 03:21:
JeffD wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 02:36:
Lack of game support. The obscene price of the memory sticks. The cost of the unit itself. The lockdown on the number of users per device (ie. . 1 user). Now the lockdown of 1 user to a memory stick so you can't share memory sticks. The hardware is great but every single other aspect of it fucking sucks and you are only hurting the industry by giving sony money for this pile of crap.

Only one handheld gaming unit has gotten it right imo... the ipod touch/iphone.

The iTouch/iPhone is a complete piece of shit when it comes to gaming, the iTouch in particular (<2 hour battery life in gaming, overheating issues, software stability issues... I speak from experience as an iTouch 4th Gen owner). The only thing it has going for it is cheap games, but most of them are cases where you get what you pay for.

We're still not seeing mobile phones specced to the level of the Vita (not even the Optimus G, although that will have a faster CPU... the GPU, on the other hand...), the problem is that the market has become too used to disposable gaming for the handheld segment and Sony isn't seemingly willing to do what Nintendo does to push their handhelds - namely, rape the ever-loving hell out of their IP portfolio in the hopes of appealing to nostalgia.

That being said, it seems as though mobile gaming has been effectively taken over by the casual crowd. Shame, really, but this is the ADHD Generation we're talking about.

Or, you know, we all grew up. If I'm at home, I don't need a mobile gaming console. If I'm in line for something, I don't have 30 minutes to spend on a really good game session. If I'm traveling, I have a laptop, tablet, music player, e-reader, and phone loaded with 30 different games that cost me as much as *one* Vita game.

Vita and the 3ds just don't compete any more.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 29, 2012, 19:15 raVen

Sony Vita screwups:
  • PSone games you've already purchased on ps3/psp not playable day one

• Not ever making it clear if we'd have to rebuy PSone games for vita

• Region lockout

• Now account lockouts

• #3 was a real deal breaker for me, and I'm still mad at Nintendo due to the same crap on 3DS (Except I can still play my non US region DS games on my US 3DS)
    Both Nintendo and Sony don't understand that we don't want to buy games over and over again. At least I don't. I won't buy any more virtual console / PSN until they allow usage across at least their own consoles/handhelds.

(I don't own a Vita, and at this rate wont.)
    And then I'd probably buy entire catalogs if they had a supported emulator for PC.

10. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 29, 2012, 10:59 avianflu

All SONY had to do was include 16 gigs internal to the system at the $249 price, and they would have sold TONS globally.

9. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 29, 2012, 08:45 nin

Don't get me started on iTouch/iPhone gaming - as the previous poster said they're complete shit for gaming.

Where were you guys in the other threads, where people were talking about the i devices running nintendo out of town?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 29, 2012, 07:51 Dades

Flatline wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 03:10:
    It's good hardware, but it's too little, too late. It's competing with smartphones and tablets that are pre-integrated into a customer's life to the point that PC sales are taking it up the ass, let alone portable consoles.

It's competing with Nintendo systems that are way cheaper and actually have unique games. I don't own one but I can see why people would, they have a ton of character franchises. What does the Vita have? Hot Shots Golf and Uncharted.

7. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 29, 2012, 05:50 JeffD

Well if battery life is your ONLY complaint.. I can agree with you but it is also easily fixable with literally hundreds of external power source addons that come in all sizes and shape which will increase your ipods life span to many hours.

The Itouch 4g was also a bit of a lemon. Similar to the iphone 4, the ipod 4g received a large resolution upgrade without a similar gpu upgrade to cope with it. Even worse is it is missing half the memory of the ipohone4 so games have to have a hardware profile for the ipod 4 all by itself and that usually does not happen. The itouch 3g was inline with the iphone 3gs so games only needed to be tested on the 3gs. So the itouch 4 became the red headed stepchild and continues to be for 2 years now until apple decides to update it, and it better copy the hardware specs of one of its cell phones.

Still judging from my itouch 3g, the iOS has tons of quality games that all run great, look good, sound great, and are very stable. They are also very affordable. Cant quite afford a full blown iphone but some day.

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 29, 2012, 05:44 Julio

The Vita has great hardware, but Sony's really messed up on it. Proprietary memory, and lack of games is hurting sales.

Don't get me started on iTouch/iPhone gaming - as the previous poster said they're complete shit for gaming.

5. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 29, 2012, 03:21 killer_roach

JeffD wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 02:36:
    Lack of game support. The obscene price of the memory sticks. The cost of the unit itself. The lockdown on the number of users per device (ie. . 1 user). Now the lockdown of 1 user to a memory stick so you can't share memory sticks. The hardware is great but every single other aspect of it fucking sucks and you are only hurting the industry by giving sony money for this pile of crap.

The iTouch/iPhone is a complete piece of shit when it comes to gaming, the iTouch in particular (<2 hour battery life in gaming, overheating issues, software stability issues... I speak from experience as an iTouch 4th Gen owner). The only thing it has going for it is cheap games, but most of them are cases where you get what you pay for.

We're still not seeing mobile phones specced to the level of the Vita (not even the Optimus G, although that will have a faster CPU... the GPU, on the other hand...), the problem is that the market has become too used to disposable gaming for the handheld segment and Sony isn't seemingly willing to do what Nintendo does to push their handhelds - namely, rape the ever-loving hell out of their IP portfolio in the hopes of appealing to nostalgia.

That being said, it seems as though mobile gaming has been effectively taken over by the casual crowd. Shame, really, but this is the ADHD Generation we're talking about.

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 29, 2012, 03:10 Flatline

SirKnight wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 23:05:
    What the hell are you talking about? The Vita doesn't suck at all. It's by far the best mobile gaming system there is and ever was. The problem is lack of games, but it's still fairly new and it takes a while to make good games these days.

Still, there's a number of really good titles right now and to me the Vita was worth every $.

Except that even Sony says (in it's usual bullshit propaganda way) that the Vita is not "living up to expectations".

It's good hardware, but it's too little, too late. It's competing with smartphones and tablets that are pre-integrated into a customer's life to the point that PC sales are taking it up the ass, let alone portable consoles.

In this environment the only thing that will carry a handheld console is the software library, and already the Vita is in the same death-spiral that the PSP was in.

If 6 months after launch you're not seeing a growing software library that can move a rather pricey piece of hardware, odds are you aren't going to see one in a year or two years.

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 29, 2012, 02:36 JeffD

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 28, 2012, 23:05 SirKnight

What the hell are you talking about? The Vita doesn't suck at all. It's by far the best mobile gaming system there is and ever was. The problem is lack of games, but it's still fairly new and it takes a while to make good games these days.

Still, there's a number of really good titles right now and to me the Vita was worth every $.

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 28, 2012, 22:07 JeffD

Sony tries even harder to make the vita suck more.  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo