Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 29, 2012, 09:14 Verno

InBlack wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 05:16:
Here is a recomendation for all of you who consider themselves avid Blue's readers:

"Prince of Nothing" trilogy from R. Scott Bakker. Although these books are disguised as standard fantasy fare they are much, much more. One of the best new authors of SF or Fantasy (I cant decide what category this fall under) I have ever read. Can't recommend it highly enough...

I read the first book after someone recommended it here awhile back. The writing was a bit dense at times, the author seemingly just grabbing his thesaurus to over complicate passages. The characterization wasn't very believable either, Kellhus is probably one of the biggest Mary Sue author fetishisms I've ever seen. I didn't hate it or anything, I thought his take on how we perceive consciousness was pretty refreshing but ultimately it didn't really grab me either. I didn't think the stuff about women was a huge deal, fantasy authors simply can't write women to save their lives. Women have the same problem writing men, Robin Hobb and Sarah Ash for example.

I'm more of a Joe Abercrombie guy, his stuff is very approachable and seems almost simple on the surface but he's good at tying long running plot arcs together without effort. It's a little nihilistic at times but its so readable that you just don't care.

If you're looking for something a little more light hearted then The Lies of Locke Lamora is fun although it can be a bit dark in spots. The sequel is extremely poorly paced and a poor followup overall but the author was having a nervous breakdown or something so I'm trying to keep an open mind for the third book.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 29, 2012, 08:43 nin

and embarrassing garbage like demon rape

Just to be clear, are we raping the demons, or are the demons raping us?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 29, 2012, 07:50 PHJF

It's geopolitical fantasy fare disguised with new age prose, characters with the same voice and every single person is a political schemer right down to the dumbest peasant.

Game of Thrones?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 29, 2012, 07:47 Dades

InBlack wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 05:16:
Here is a recomendation for all of you who consider themselves avid Blue's readers:

"Prince of Nothing" trilogy from R. Scott Bakker. Although these books are disguised as standard fantasy fare they are much, much more. One of the best new authors of SF or Fantasy (I cant decide what category this fall under) I have ever read. Can't recommend it highly enough...

I didn't care for those at all. They were filled with misogynistic claptrap and embarrassing garbage like demon rape. It's geopolitical fantasy fare disguised with new age prose, characters with the same voice and every single person is a political schemer right down to the dumbest peasant.

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 29, 2012, 05:16 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 29, 2012, 01:52 eRe4s3r

same here, Kindle finally got me to read Ender Saga ;p Never had time or inclination to lug around books, but now it's kinda easy ;p  

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 28, 2012, 21:15 Prez

nin wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 20:17:
Love my kindle. My only regret is I don't always have time to read. I've got like 70+ books in my kindle wish list...

I love my Kindle and I love Amazon. I especially like how they are innovating while Apple is busy out attempting to sue its competition out of existence n order to remain at the top.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2012, 21:23.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 28, 2012, 20:17 nin

Love my kindle. My only regret is I don't always have time to read. I've got like 70+ books in my kindle wish list...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo