Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced

The Bethesda Blog announces Hearthfire, a DLC pack coming to the Xbox 360 edition of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on September 4th. The announcement does not mention other platforms, but this and Dawnguard were both announced as 30-day Xbox exclusives, so this is not unexpected. This short trailer accompanies this announcement:

With Skyrim’s newest game add-on, Hearthfire, you can purchase land and build your own home from the ground up – from a simple one-room cottage to a sprawling compound complete with an armory, alchemy laboratory, stable, garden, and more. Use all-new tools like the drafting table and carpenter’s workbench to transform quarried stone, clay, and sawn logs into structures and furnishings. Even transform your house into a home by adopting children.

Hearthfire releases on Xbox LIVE next week (September 4th) for 400 Microsoft Points.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 15:36 Ratty

Jivaro wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 14:46:
A console DLC. I doubt PC users are going to see much need for this. Honestly, I have zero problem with that. I am a PC user, but I will take the mod community, the CK, and the mods over DLC any day. Every single piece of DLC for this game could be console only and I wouldn't care. The community can do better and often does. (of course, you have to sift through the crap too, but hey..nothing is perfect!)
Absolutely true. There are quite a few excellent mods now for player homes, from the modest to the opulent. A few let you customize aspects of it, and at least one lets you build it from the ground up. It will be interesting to see how Bethesda's measures up to the best of the mods already out there.

Let the XBoxers have this one. I guess if I had to grump it would be that they're wasting time that could be spent on the next meaty, questy DLC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. So whatever happened to "we do real expansions" Aug 28, 2012, 15:10 eRe4s3r

Because so far, the DLC has been less than underwhelming. And particularly this DLC apparently aims to underwhelm even more.

No new factions? No new lands? wtf Bethesda.

18. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 15:08 avianflu

at least its 5 bucks, which sounds like the right price for a house building kit.  

17. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 14:53 cronik

Arrrgghhh, it's for the consoletoys!!!  

16. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 14:46 Jivaro

A console DLC. I doubt PC users are going to see much need for this. Honestly, I have zero problem with that. I am a PC user, but I will take the mod community, the CK, and the mods over DLC any day. Every single piece of DLC for this game could be console only and I wouldn't care. The community can do better and often does. (of course, you have to sift through the crap too, but hey..nothing is perfect!)  

15. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 14:39 NegaDeath

Can I have a lava moat?  

14. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 14:32 DG

Sounds a bit meh.

Can't see myself getting back into Skyrim until there's a whole bunch of content, on a Steam sale.

TBF I regret not playing Skyrim how my friend did - new thief char for the thief quests, new mage char for the mage quests, etc. Would have been awesome if they had built it so you could have multiple chars on the go in the same "world" as it were.

13. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 14:31 gilly775

WTF is this????? If I wanted to play a game where I build my house, I'd play the Sims!

Bring on the death and destruction of Skyrim and other lands!!!!

12. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 14:20 Kythlyn

Gonna wait for the next big Steam sale before buying any Skyrim DLC.  

11. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 14:12 PropheT

Fion wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 13:32:
Yep. I don't know about paying $20 for essentially the same thing as that mod (though by the sounds of this, it's more complex). I haven't even gotten Dawnguard yet because of all the poor reviews.

Dawnguard isn't bad, it's just not really $20 good either. It has some nice features to it and parts of it can be really fun, but it's kind of expensive for what it is since you can buy some full games for that now.

10. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 13:58 xXBatmanXx

This is why I like to wait until there is a nice big bundle. Includes everything and the DLCs are actually nice to have on a first playthrough.

my .02

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

9. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 13:50 Creston

Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 13:31:
Interesting, that one mod "Build your own Home" got popular very quickly so I can imagine this will be a big money maker for them.

It's basically the Xbox version of that mod.

Creston

8. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 13:43 Beamer

I know everyone mocked Oblivion for having no children, but I hate children in Skyrim.

Plus, it doesn't really solve that mocking, as now we can mock that people only come in ages 10 or ages 30-100.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 13:41 Minuit

Hmm. Sounds like it's turning into "THE SkyrIMS". All it needs to be complete is the ability to invite everyone in town over to a BBQ, convince them to go swimming and then have the ladder leading out of the pool mysteriously disappear.

6. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 13:41 Kastagir

More "Game Jam" recycling. There's nothing here that wasn't part of the freeform developer creations from December.

However, I'm all for a small "horse armor" DLC if it means the last of the XBOX 360-exclusive content.

5. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 13:39 StingingVelvet

Fion wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 13:32:
Yep. I don't know about paying $20 for essentially the same thing as that mod (though by the sounds of this, it's more complex). I haven't even gotten Dawnguard yet because of all the poor reviews.

More like average reviews than bad (metacritic says 73). It's just more Skyrim, no more and no less. It's $20 worth of content easily when compared to other DLC, but it's just not really special or different.

4. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 13:37 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 13:36:
Looks like it's only about $5, 400 MSP is 5ish USD. I don't know if I care enough to pay for such a specialized thing but oh well, it'll give me something to grab on a steam sale sometime.

Same thought here, maybe for 99 cents. Reminds me of the "bad DLC" from Oblivion.

3. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 13:36 Verno

Looks like it's only about $5, 400 MSP is 5ish USD. I don't know if I care enough to pay for such a specialized thing but oh well, it'll give me something to grab on a steam sale sometime.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

2. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 13:32 Fion

1. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 13:31 Verno

Interesting, that one mod "Build your own Home" got popular very quickly so I can imagine this will be a big money maker for them.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo