Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 30, 2012, 16:44 SectorEffector

Julio wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 05:50:
Nucas wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 00:41:
beyond working conditions so poor their slaves are literally driven to suicide as a means to provide for their families

Hey putting those nets up so their employees can't kill themselves as easily is true innovation...I wonder if they patented that?

Anyone who knows anything about the culture or society knows they would have committed suicide over bad grades and or another job thats been lucrative because some outside Western business owner is raking in on the cheap labor.

Apple is the tip of this iceberg, its just tall poppy syndrome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 29, 2012, 09:01 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 14:56:
Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 14:51:
Copying doesn't do any good at all.

Unless it's something totally obvious, as a rectangle with a grid of icons mostly is.

Don't get me wrong, I've ragged on the grid of icons as being a ridiculously dull way of having an interface, and would love some true innovation (WP7 is the most innovative alternative to the bland, dead grid of iOS), but c'mon, even Windows 3.1 was a grid of icons.

Yeah a rectangle with a grid of icons has got to be the most innovative design ever invented, more important than the wheel. Definitely worth 1 Billion dollars in retroactive damages.

Fuck these copyright laws, and may that asshole Steve Jobs rot in hell the greedy bastard.

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 29, 2012, 05:50 Julio

Nucas wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 00:41:
beyond working conditions so poor their slaves are literally driven to suicide as a means to provide for their families

Hey putting those nets up so their employees can't kill themselves as easily is true innovation...I wonder if they patented that?

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 29, 2012, 00:41 Nucas

beyond rampant waste compounded by the planned annual obsolescence of their products, accelerating resource exhaustion to a not-so-distant inevitability; beyond working conditions so poor their slaves are literally driven to suicide as a means to provide for their families; apple proves they deserve to retain the crown of World's Most Evil Corporation by perfecting the science of litigating your most dangerous competition out of the market.

and now, back to innovating!

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2012, 17:21 SectorEffector

Beamer wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 14:56:

Unless it's something totally obvious, as a rectangle with a grid of icons mostly is.

Don't get me wrong, I've ragged on the grid of icons as being a ridiculously dull way of having an interface, and would love some true innovation (WP7 is the most innovative alternative to the bland, dead grid of iOS), but c'mon, even Windows 3.1 was a grid of icons.

Purely from a numbers perspective

If it aint broken ( sells well ) then don't innovate it? ( win 8?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2012, 17:15 Julio

Really the corporation driven legal system should just get it over with.

Only Apple tablets and phones can be sold in the US. Nobody else can sell any. It would save a lot of time and effort. Because we all know that Apple came up with the idea for a phone.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2012, 17:13 Wowbagger_TIP

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 12:52:
I have Sprint Galaxy S III, and love it. Battery life is awesome, and it's very smooth and responsive. Haven't had any problem with it so far. Screen looks great too.

Apple really has no room to bitch about ripping stuff off anyway. Their company was built on that too. Most of their patents are ridiculous and should never have been granted in the first place. The patent office is full of morons (or at least run by them) and the whole system is out of control.

Apple doesn't set the patent laws.

Also, if you designed something that took you years to complete, using all your time, energy, and money, and then someone copied it in just a few months and started selling more than you, would you be happy? I think not. Copying innovation, blocks advancement. If Samsung has to redesign to sell phone, who knows, maybe they're come out with something groundbreaking. That's the idea. Copying doesn't do any good at all.

Aside from already made point that Apple has done this themselves plenty of times, you're talking about actual innovation, not ridiculous software patents or these design patents that are so over-broad as to cover practically anything. I never said Apple made the rules. I said the patent system is broken and it's currently doing more to restrict innovation than to help it. Smaller players can't do anything without the threat of a lawsuit, either by a company like Apple or Samsung, or one of the ubiquitous patent trolls, hanging over their head. If you don't have a huge portfolio of defensive patents, you can't even attempt to compete these days.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2012, 16:45 Bhruic

Also, if you designed something that took you years to complete, using all your time, energy, and money, and then someone copied it in just a few months and started selling more than you, would you be happy?

No, I wouldn't be happy, but Apple seems to make a good business of doing just that, so apparently it's allowed.

Oh, you thought the above description only described Samsung?

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2012, 14:56 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2012, 14:51 Steele Johnson

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 12:52:
I have Sprint Galaxy S III, and love it. Battery life is awesome, and it's very smooth and responsive. Haven't had any problem with it so far. Screen looks great too.

Apple really has no room to bitch about ripping stuff off anyway. Their company was built on that too. Most of their patents are ridiculous and should never have been granted in the first place. The patent office is full of morons (or at least run by them) and the whole system is out of control.

Apple doesn't set the patent laws.

Also, if you designed something that took you years to complete, using all your time, energy, and money, and then someone copied it in just a few months and started selling more than you, would you be happy? I think not. Copying innovation, blocks advancement. If Samsung has to redesign to sell phone, who knows, maybe they're come out with something groundbreaking. That's the idea. Copying doesn't do any good at all.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2012, 12:52 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2012, 11:18 SirKnight

I have the AT&T Galaxy S II and it's a great phone. The battery life is the best I've seen on Android so far (I'm sure there's newer phones that are better by now) and it's very fast. It would be a shame to see it go since you can get it real cheap now. It was worth the original price when released last year and it's absolutely worth the current price, which is right around $50 or so now.

The iPhone is a great phone for sure. It's very fast, made much better quality than any Android and the OS has always ran smoother than Android. I have a TON of money sunk in iOS apps and games, mostly games, which is why I still get tempted by an iPhone. But there are some things about my SII that I'd hate to give up right now. I would like a new iPod touch, as long as they release a 128GB version as my 64 is not cutting it at all.

Even though Apple is the king of stealing/copying, it has always been 100% obvious to me that Samsung has been ripping Apple off for quite some time now. Though, I could care less personally.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2012, 10:28 Silicon Avatar

Meh. I hope this gets worked out by Christmas. I sort of wanted one of the Galaxy phones. I'm sure as hell not spending any money on Apple.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo