Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

There was a commotion outside in the wee hours of the morning, which turned out to be a bunch of fire engines, one of which settled right in front of our house, since we are guardians of a fire hydrant. We haven't found out what happened yet, but it must have been pretty routine, as they didn't hang around too long, and it's obvious nobody's house burned down. The weird thing is that someone hit a siren as they drove off, which seemed like an odd way to depart the scene of such a call, especially at 2:00 am, but if I had a siren like that I'd be using it whenever I could too.

Loud Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: I Bet You Can't Name All 50 Of These Famous Bills. 48/50. Thanks nin via Kotaku.
Reign of Centipede.
Stories: Indy 4, Star Wars Ep1 Are Biggest Letdowns.
Man killed while trying to create Bigfoot sighting. Plan fail/camouflage success.
Images: Lytro Camera Produces Amazing, Interactive Pictures.
Media: Watch A Woman With A Stuck Accelerator Weave Through Traffic. Thanks Devicer.
GeekSquad Fail.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Follow-up: 'Neil Armstrong - Moon Truthers Mourn a Legend.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2012, 12:16 jimnms

robdot wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 14:35:
it is completely impossible for any car made, for the engine to overpower the brakes. this has been proven over and over. it cant be done. its always operator error.
second. the sirens on firetrucks are on the floor. they often get stepped on by accident. an error he probably instantly regretted as the citizens(you) are his employer.

What orifice did you pull that out of? It certainly is possible for an engine to be able to overpower the brakes. Kia most likely doesn't make one, but there are cars and trucks with engines that will overpower the brakes.

A place I worked during summer in college I drove so many different vehicles, one time I forgot I was in a diesel truck with a manual. I had just driven a pickup with an auto trans then switched to the big diesel truck with a manual. I was backing out when my brain farted and was still in auto trans mode. I stepped on the brakes and it didn't slow down. I stood on the brake pedal with both feet and the truck kept going. Then the brain fart cleared and I remembered to press the clutch.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2012, 08:55 Mr. Tact

I'd never heard of The Fountain either -- after watching the trailer at IMDB my read is that it's a major "chick flick". Which isn't necessarily bad, but judging by your comments, in this case is.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2012, 08:51 nin

Prez wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 03:19:
Prez, having never heard of "The Fountain", heads off to google...

Make sure you have all sharp instruments put away, as you may be ready to kill yourself by the end...

Of course, that also applies to the first 10 minutes of pixar's Up. Actually, strike that, ALL of Up. By the time we got to the dogs flying biplanes at the end, I wondered what kind of drugs I should have been taking to enjoy it...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

32. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2012, 08:30  Blue 

shul wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 05:15:
Agree with everything on this list except for Vanilla Sky...

Yeah, I like that one too.

I also did not understand how Kill Bill Vol 2 ended up on that list.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2012, 05:15 shul

Agree with everything on this list except for Vanilla Sky...  

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2012, 03:19 Prez

Prez, having never heard of "The Fountain", heads off to google...  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 17:57 MisterBenn

robdot wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 14:35:
it is completely impossible for any car made, for the engine to overpower the brakes. this has been proven over and over. it cant be done. its always operator error.

I had this exact problem (accelerator stuck) a month after passing my test while growing up. I was in a Golf at the time driving down country lanes in Devon, doing like 50 or 60 mph. After panicking for a bit and catching the car up in front, I tried putting it in neutral but thought it might damage the engine to rev like that. I put it back in gear then discovered that yes, the brakes were far stronger. It's definitely reasonable to expect an experienced driver to work out what to do.

Playing: Path of Exile, Trials Evolution, Magic 2014.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 17:18 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 17:00:
The Fountain was infinitely more shitty than Van Helsing. Mankind should probably go and have another meeting...

Creston

Regrettably we only hold meetings every second Tuesday, and most of the time is taken up by reading minutes from the last meeting and then arguing. I think Indy IV was next on the list. It's a long list....so very long.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 17:05 mag

Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 17:00:
NegaDeath wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 15:44:
nin wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 15:38:
I was amazed Last stand rated so bad, while X-Men Origins: Wolverine was 30...I remember laughing out loud, in a bad way, during one of the more unbelievable parts of Wolverine...

And speaking of shitty Jackman movies, I don't see redacted on this list, so it's clearly incorrect...

Mankind as a whole decided to erase all knowledge of the aformentioned Hugh Jackman movie that cannot be named. You must have missed the meeting.

The Fountain was infinitely more shitty than Van Helsing. Mankind should probably go and have another meeting...

Creston

The Fountain had pretty visuals.

I still have no idea what happened in it, though.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 17:00 Creston

I was amazed Last stand rated so bad, while X-Men Origins: Wolverine was 30...I remember laughing out loud, in a bad way, during one of the more unbelievable parts of Wolverine...

And speaking of shitty Jackman movies, I don't see redacted on this list, so it's clearly incorrect...

Mankind as a whole decided to erase all knowledge of the aformentioned Hugh Jackman movie that cannot be named. You must have missed the meeting.

Creston

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 16:53 Jivaro

So...Madden and Guild Wars 2 release on the same day, and unfortunately, this is not the day that science makes cloning affordable to the common man. This of course will affect my ability to sleep, but hey, a man has to have priorities.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 15:59 PHJF

Van Helsing had really good CGI. And do you not remember this???  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 15:48 nin

I had a friend of a friend who said it was their favorite movie ever. I just sat there with a dumbfounded look on my face, as of everything I could say to follow that up, none of it was appropriate or non offensive...

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 15:44 NegaDeath

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 15:38 nin

Prez wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 15:29:
Some strange entries on that "biggest movie letsowns" list. For it to have been a letdown wouldn't it have to have been hotly anticipated to begin with?

I liked Troy.

And speaking of shitty Jackman movies, I don't see Van Helsing on this list, so it's clearly incorrect...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 15:29 Prez

Some strange entries on that "biggest movie letsowns" list. For it to have been a letdown wouldn't it have to have been hotly anticipated to begin with?

I liked Troy.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 15:15 mch

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 15:04:
Not really, the "in focus" part is blurry, it is not 100% in focus even if you have it focus on that point. Seems to me, whatever lense they use is either crap, or the lightfield is not resolving in a high enough depth.

Sidenote: As someone who does macro photo's, I would love a lightfield camera that actually gets close to the quality of a good macro lense

Ah, apologies. In that case I misunderstood your original post

PSN: CaseDesignate

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 15:04 eRe4s3r

Not really, the "in focus" part is blurry, it is not 100% in focus even if you have it focus on that point. Seems to me, whatever lense they use is either crap, or the lightfield is not resolving in a high enough depth.

Sidenote: As someone who does macro photo's, I would love a lightfield camera that actually gets close to the quality of a good macro lense

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 14:35 robdot

second. the sirens on firetrucks are on the floor. they often get stepped on by accident. an error he probably instantly regretted as the citizens(you) are his employer.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 13:25 D4rkKnight

I'm pretty sure this is for everyone even though I get the advertisement as a student account:

GTA4 Complete & Max Payne 3 together for $25 digital copies from amazon with choice of steam copy too:

Link

This is for today only!

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo