Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

There was a commotion outside in the wee hours of the morning, which turned out to be a bunch of fire engines, one of which settled right in front of our house, since we are guardians of a fire hydrant. We haven't found out what happened yet, but it must have been pretty routine, as they didn't hang around too long, and it's obvious nobody's house burned down. The weird thing is that someone hit a siren as they drove off, which seemed like an odd way to depart the scene of such a call, especially at 2:00 am, but if I had a siren like that I'd be using it whenever I could too.

Loud Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: I Bet You Can't Name All 50 Of These Famous Bills. 48/50. Thanks nin via Kotaku.
Reign of Centipede.
Stories: Indy 4, Star Wars Ep1 Are Biggest Letdowns.
Man killed while trying to create Bigfoot sighting. Plan fail/camouflage success.
Images: Lytro Camera Produces Amazing, Interactive Pictures.
Media: Watch A Woman With A Stuck Accelerator Weave Through Traffic. Thanks Devicer.
GeekSquad Fail.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Follow-up: 'Neil Armstrong - Moon Truthers Mourn a Legend.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 13:05 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 12:50:
Hah! guy was thinkin' "Fuck you people and your sleep if I have to work graveyard!"

Once long ago when I was working graveyard for a while I used to tell my neighbors to keep it down till at least 2pm because of said shift. That didn't work at first so, when I started getting home at 6am I'd be outside drinking beer and cranking stuff like AC/DC. As I seem to recall that went on for 3 or 4 days before they got the message.

Myself and others have done similar things. Oddly enough ther eis no ordinance or law in Minneapolis for snow blowers.....but all the same it does the trick as well. 330am snowblower gets your neighbors attention REAL QUICK!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 12:50 Cutter

Hah! guy was thinkin' "Fuck you people and your sleep if I have to work graveyard!"

Once long ago when I was working graveyard for a while I used to tell my neighbors to keep it down till at least 2pm because of said shift. That didn't work at first so, when I started getting home at 6am I'd be outside drinking beer and cranking stuff like AC/DC. As I seem to recall that went on for 3 or 4 days before they got the message.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 12:47 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 10:06:
The weird thing is that someone hit a siren as they drove off, which seemed like an odd way to depart the scene of such a call, especially at 2:00 am

"NIGHT, FUCKERS! WE OUTTA HERE!"

hehehe was probably a mistake. The number of flood lights and other lights they use when they come to a stop at a location is ridiculous. I have just one slide toggle that switches my lights, but also have side lights and flood lights front (take downs). Probably fat fingered the switches to off and hit a button next to it for siren. whoops.

Otherwise, yea, dick move. hehehehe

Link to my signal box:
http://www.fedsig.com/products/112/smartsiren

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 12:12 mch

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 12:03:
I want one when they don't produce blurry images. Or is it a design limitation?

I think you are completely missing the point.

PSN: CaseDesignate

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 12:03 eRe4s3r

I want one when they don't produce blurry images. Or is it a design limitation?  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 12:00 nin

jimnms wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 11:56:
nin wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 10:58:
stuck accelerator

But her Sorrento features a push button start, and she said there was no key off option.

So, how does she turn it off normally????? I saw a similar video yesterday and the comment was she couldn't shift to neutral, either. I find that neither of those options being available more than a little hard to believe...

I said the same thing when there were reports of Toyota Priuses having runaway accelerator issues, but once I saw a Prius first hand, I now see how. The Prius has no physical link to the accelerator, brake or transmission. They're just connected to sensors that tell the computer what you want it to do. I've never seen a Sorrento, but it's possible that it's all electronic too.

Based on the link, the update says Kia was able to duplicate the issue...I guess my line of thinking is: if there's not some way to manually shut off a moving vehicle from inside, or at least take it out of gear, there should be. She could have been killed, or she could have lost control and plowed into a van carrying any number of other people (like that one a year or so ago where the woman hit the van that had like 6 kids inside).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 11:56 jimnms

nin wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 10:58:
stuck accelerator

But her Sorrento features a push button start, and she said there was no key off option.

So, how does she turn it off normally????? I saw a similar video yesterday and the comment was she couldn't shift to neutral, either. I find that neither of those options being available more than a little hard to believe...

I said the same thing when there were reports of Toyota Priuses having runaway accelerator issues, but once I saw a Prius first hand, I now see how. The Prius has no physical link to the accelerator, brake or transmission. They're just connected to sensors that tell the computer what you want it to do. I've never seen a Sorrento, but it's possible that it's all electronic too.

Steam Profile

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 10:58 nin

stuck accelerator

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 10:55 RailWizard

Never cheered at someones death before, but that bigfoot asshole has changed that.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 10:26 Mr. Tact

Ha! Amusing I got 44 also.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 10:17 Shok

I want one of those Lytro cameras...when they get under $100.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 10:15 InBlack

Cabezone wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 10:04:
They may had gone to the wrong address.

This would be the height of stupidity, but civil servarnts continue to amaze me with the heights they keep reaching and the records they keep braking, although I would give the fire department a little bit more benefit of the doubt.

Can you imagine the scenario? A building burns down killing everyone inside it because the dispatcher sent the trucks to the wrong address....it almost brings a tear to my eye.

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 10:09 nin

I Bet You Can't Name All 50 Of These Famous Bills.

Oh, and I got 44/50, but that was only because I didn't understand what they were asking on one particularly odd question and chose the person at the top of the pyramid...

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 10:06 nin

The weird thing is that someone hit a siren as they drove off, which seemed like an odd way to depart the scene of such a call, especially at 2:00 am

"NIGHT, FUCKERS! WE OUTTA HERE!"

edit: Oh god, I can't stop playing the GANGNAM STYLE video and laughing my ass off...

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2012, 10:04 Cabezone

They may had gone to the wrong address.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo