Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Online Trailer

This trailer from MechWarrior Online offers a "River City Reveal" from Piranha's upcoming mech combat game, which will be shown off this week at PAX Prime. Word is: "Nestled within a coastal valley, River City, ravaged by war, is the first urban setting map for MechWarrior Online. From stealth scouting to long range support and right down to all out brawling, players will find areas in River City that suit their needs. The river itself, spanned by two bridges, divides the city into two opposing sides. A fortified citadel dominates the centre of the city and players will fight for control of two key sites: a space port high on a plateau and a crucial industrial port facility on the ocean shoreline. Surrounding the city are hillsides that are still in conflict and the odd airstrike and artillery barrage can still be seen off in the distance. Pools of fire and rubble throughout the city drive home the point that the pristine condition of the city is now just a remnant memory of the past."

<

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 30, 2012, 05:11 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 10:50:
Exactly, how dare they ruin my hobby? ^^

More importantly though, I care for Mech Warrior, and it ain't Mech Warrior with no campaign or point. Battle Tech, to take it further, is all about REASON, LIMITED RESOURCES, and character driven stories. Not about Deathmatch. This is the fast-food of battle-tech and it tastes like fast food tastes.

Technically, Battletech began as a board game, so MWO being multiplayer-only doesn't make it any less faithful to the series.

And how does adding bots and coop AI skirmish (at the very least) cost any additional money?

It costs a lot of money, actually. AI programmers don't come cheap and adding AI-driven characters to multiplayer makes the networking more complicated too. Then you add the additional testing and polish required and you end up with quite a few new expenses.

That's not to say I wouldn't want bots as a feature. However, it's silly to claim that adding them doesn't cost anything.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 29, 2012, 06:06 Kajetan

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 09:36:
We're lucky we're getting anything at all.
I dont want "anything". I want a new SP Mechwarrior game.

22. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 28, 2012, 15:36 RollinThundr

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 10:50:

More importantly though, I care for Mech Warrior, and it ain't Mech Warrior with no campaign or point. Battle Tech, to take it further, is all about REASON, LIMITED RESOURCES, and character driven stories. Not about Deathmatch. This is the fast-food of battle-tech and it tastes like fast food tastes.

It isn't going to be all about deathmatch. They'll be an ever changing front of fighting for control of planets once they get all the systems implimented. It'll be alot like MPBT3025 in the long run.

I too would have loved a full fledged Single player, but wanting them to fail simply because they couldn't secure the funding to do that seems a bit childish and self entitled to me.

21. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 28, 2012, 10:50 eRe4s3r

20. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 28, 2012, 10:47 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 10:00:
Pshaw, I am not feeling lucky for getting something I never wanted... did you want a pure MP Mech Warrior? If you really want something, would you settle for inferiority? And how does adding bots and coop AI skirmish (at the very least) cost any additional money? If they want it to be it's going to be, but fact is they don't want and don't care. But if they think online only mech warrior is gonna be good for them (and it will no doubt, unless it is terribly broken) then that is fine for them. But I don't care, I don't want an online only mech warrior.

I wanted Mech Warrior 5, not some f2p online only nonsense. And until it's out, I still consider this p2w crap. Because there is no way "skins and cockpits" are gonna pay for this game.

That said, even if this game is going to be a success they will NEVER make a SP game. So why would I hope for their success

Ok....so we are getting a mechwarrior game but its got no single player so its OMGNOOOWTF HOW DAREZ DEY RUIN MY FANTAZY! ARRRGGGHHH RAGE!! ok...got it.

Well you can choose to vote with your wallet and not support these guys...oh wait...its a F2P.... maybe you could ... oh I dont know....try it when its out? But its OMMMGH F2P PAYTOWIN SHIITE ARRRGHHJHRAGE HOW DAREZ THEY RUIN MY HOBBY WIT FREEE GAMEZ!! ARGH!

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 28, 2012, 10:00 eRe4s3r

Pshaw, I am not feeling lucky for getting something I never wanted... did you want a pure MP Mech Warrior? If you really want something, would you settle for inferiority? And how does adding bots and coop AI skirmish (at the very least) cost any additional money? If they want it to be it's going to be, but fact is they don't want and don't care. But if they think online only mech warrior is gonna be good for them (and it will no doubt, unless it is terribly broken) then that is fine for them. But I don't care, I don't want an online only mech warrior.

I wanted Mech Warrior 5, not some f2p online only nonsense. And until it's out, I still consider this p2w crap. Because there is no way "skins and cockpits" are gonna pay for this game.

That said, even if this game is going to be a success they will NEVER make a SP game. So why would I hope for their success

18. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 28, 2012, 09:57 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 08:36:
Because Mechwarror 1, 2 ,3 ,4 had SP ? What would ever make us want SP...

As one of the biggest fans of those titles I also want a quality continuation of that series with a single-player game, these kinds of games cost money. Money that Piranha tried to get & ultimately failed.

I believe thats a blessing in disguise because now they are working on their own money and time, they will build the game to stand on its own merit and without corporate shills breathing down their throats the game will probably turn out to be quite good. If its a financial success they might even do a proper full on Mechwarrior sequel!

17. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 28, 2012, 09:36 RollinThundr

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 08:36:

What part of no publishers wanted to fund a full fledged MW game don't people understand at this point. We're lucky we're getting anything at all. Especially something that has a ton of good in it like MW:O

16. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 28, 2012, 08:36 eRe4s3r

15. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 28, 2012, 08:13 verrul

why do people want a sp campaign for a build from the ground up multi-player game. The board game would have sucked single player.  

14. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 28, 2012, 04:19 InBlack

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 03:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 02:26:
Story, Campaign, bots... it has none of that. Hype level = 0

That sums it up perfectly.

Well Id rather have a nice well done multiplayer game, where the mechs are well modeled, customisation works and there is good solid gameplay then a half assed attempt at a single player game which suffers from a childish story ala diablo3, lame campaign, AI bugs galore and the host of other problems that a more expensive AAA title carries over with it, not the least of which is dumbed down as fuck consolitis because seriously who would even attempt an AAA title that isnt multiplatform these days? (apart from Blizzard)

13. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 28, 2012, 03:52 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 02:26:

That sums it up perfectly.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

12. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 28, 2012, 02:26 eRe4s3r

11. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 28, 2012, 01:29 Mordecai Walfish

Jerykk wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 23:21:
|oR|jonvall wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 20:51:
Next time they should hire a professional voice over guy instead of using Bob from the mail room!

Watch this trailer with the sound off! You've been warned!

I'd rather they save the money and invest it into making a better game.

+1

I don't need lavish production to make me feel confident in a product, only something with a healthy, well-developed core.

10. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 27, 2012, 23:21 Jerykk

|oR|jonvall wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 20:51:
Next time they should hire a professional voice over guy instead of using Bob from the mail room!

Watch this trailer with the sound off! You've been warned!

I'd rather they save the money and invest it into making a better game.

9. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 27, 2012, 23:12 Cabezone

They originally pitched a single player game but couldn't get the funding for one.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

8. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 27, 2012, 22:38 RailWizard

I just said I didn't like the trailer, didn't mean to ruin the whole industry. lol

I still think the founder packs are ridiculous, even if the game turns out good, and by ridiculous I'm pretty much referring to price vs. content.

edit: I also have to agree about lack of single player. That's where most of my mech time has been spent thus far other than some Lan action with a friend or 2. So full on pub brawls is yet unproven to me as far as fun goes. I did do a little in MWLL, but it didn't hold my interest for very long...

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2012, 22:43.

7. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 27, 2012, 22:38 Scud

Doomie_77 wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 22:20:
these guys are passionate about this game. The game just flat out kicks ass, and is more than worth the long wait PC users have had to deal with as long as Battletech is concerned.
No singleplayer campaign, so I guess I'm still waiting, it seems just about every mech game that comes out is either heavily oriented towards multiplayer or multiplayer exclusive. A little frustrated, me? Nah. Furious

6. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 27, 2012, 22:20 Doomie_77

I am a Founder. I paid $60 dollars for it, but was in on the beta before purchase was required. Here's the thing - these guys are passionate about this game. The game just flat out kicks ass, and is more than worth the long wait PC users have had to deal with as long as Battletech is concerned.

It's too bad the NDA is strict and I can't go on and on about the game and how much fun it is to rip other mechs to shreds, etc., mainly because of people that bash it over a trailer guy's voice. I realize that these trailers are all that most people have to go on, I'm just here to say that people should give it a chance before condemning it. It's all I've been playing for the last month and a half. I feel like I'm losing my life to it, lol.

5. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Aug 27, 2012, 22:19 eunichron

It didn't look like a "trailer" trailer to me, more like something they would play at a conference with a developer or level designer talking over the video to explain what their design process was... take it that way and it's slightly less annoying.

Other than that, looks pretty awesome. Haven't bought in to the founder's program yet, but I'm thinking I might before it ends.

The one thing the trailer left me thinking is that this game is in dire need of destructible environments. Nothing would be more awesome than seeing that city left in ruins at the end of a match.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo