Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week

Robot Entertainment announces Fire & Water, the first booster pack for Orcs Must Die! 2, saying this will be released on Wednesday to add three new levels and three new Endless Mode conversions to the action/strategy sequel. Here's what to expect:

Robot Entertainment today announced Fire & Water, the first booster pack for Orcs Must Die! 2. The booster pack features three brand new levels and three new Endless Mode conversions that can be played in single-player or with a friend in co-op. Players who download the pack will also find a new array of traps to help them combat terrifying new elemental enemies.

Hellish new Fire Lords and Fire Elementals crumble when killed, leaving behind dangerous Firelings that will hunt the player down and explode when they get too close! Slippery Water Lords and Water Elementals dwindle into pools of water when killed, but don’t count them out of the fight! When Waterlings find dormant puddles, they’ll absorb the stagnant water and grow into new Water Elementals!

War Mages will have access to three exciting new traps to add to their arsenal, as well. The Web Spinner is a new wall trap that ensnares hallways full of passing monsters in a sticky tangle of webs, slowing them down to buy precious time. Ceiling Darts turn your fortress into a temple of doom for orcs, dropping from the ceiling to fire deadly darts in every direction. If the orcs make it past your defenses the first time around, you can give them another dose of pain with the new Floor Portal. Place the floor portal anywhere on the ground. Unsuspecting enemies who step on it will be magically teleported back to the beginning of the level!

The Fire & Water booster pack for Orcs Must Die! 2 will be available on Steam for $4.99 on August 29th.

Fire & Water Booster Pack Features:

• New Levels to Defend – The fight for survival isn’t over yet! Battle your way through three exciting new levels in single-player or co-op – Traffic Jammed, Double Decker, and The West Wing.
  • New Endless Mode Conversions – Think you’ve mastered Endless Mode? Think again! The Fire & Water booster pack features three new Endless Mode level conversions to hold your ground on – The Library, Double Decker, and The West Wing.
  • Terrifying New Enemies – Prepare for a whole new challenge when you face off against the harrowing new Fire and Water Elementals!
  • Exciting New Traps – Add some deadly new defenses to your Spellbook with the Web Spinner, Ceiling Darts, and the Floor Portal!
  • New Bonus Skull Definition – Can you hold the invading monsters at bay without traps? Prove your mettle by playing exclusively with weapons and you’ll add another bonus skull to the pile at the end of each level.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

10. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 11:30 Verno

In the first one you had to defend multiple hallways / areas several times, but at least it was made in such a way that it was possible to do for a single player. (Portals to shift between the two areas, and most levels had a clever little knack where you could re-route the enemies to all get funneled into a single area where you could killbox them.)

OMD2 just has completely separate areas and you have to run like fucking mad to defend both of them. My biggest issue with it, however, is how much I seem to have to use my character's main attack to kill stuff, and there's no autofire. Grrrr.

I hear ya but you just gotta rethink your approach bro. I had some really frustrating moments in the SP because I kept trying to use the same trap setups for every map and stuff I was comfortable with. In the end I just had to change things up and it all fell into place. For example on some levels where the approaches are too far spaced I will wall off one, lay a bit of brimstone down in front to nail sappers and then setup a killbox at a choke point.

I've 5 skulled everything on both characters and in Nightmare, there are some levels with a frantic setup in the early parts but everything is more than doable in SP. If anything I find co-op a bit frustrating at times because you're limited to 6 slots so you have to do a lot of back and forth. If you need some examples to get you started just holler at me on Steam.

I guess I may just switch back to the warmage and just abuse the shit out of tar pits.

Sorceress with Steam Traps with chill and Haymakers with stun is pretty amusing. Acid with slow helps a lot too. Tar is awesome but the Sorc has a bit more versatility and greater combo opportunity IMHO. Also don't forget the Decoy got hella buffed, it has health regen now and its unique upgrades are great.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 11:27 Beamer

Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 11:12:
Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 11:04:
Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 10:52:
I'm not enjoying OMD2, to be honest. Every level is just a stupid split where you have to guard two walkways, two rifts, two exit portals which are clearly designed for coop. They are just tedious and annoying in single player.

Keep meaning to go back, but...

I don't know, the game would be completely boring and tedious if all you had to do was one defend one hallway/rift every time. Two paths and rifts was the natural evolution of the first game. I only ever had a problem with Twisted Halls solo and even that just required me to rethink how I was approaching the level. If you find yourself running around too much just try different trap loadouts, there is almost always a way to safeguard one approach while managing another yourself.

In the first one you had to defend multiple hallways / areas several times, but at least it was made in such a way that it was possible to do for a single player. (Portals to shift between the two areas, and most levels had a clever little knack where you could re-route the enemies to all get funneled into a single area where you could killbox them.)

OMD2 just has completely separate areas and you have to run like fucking mad to defend both of them. I also really, REALLY fucking hate the rail sections which make it so you can't build anything on them. That's a shit-ass mechanic.

My biggest issue with it, however, is how much I seem to have to use my character's main attack to kill stuff, and there's no autofire. Grrrr.

I guess I may just switch back to the warmage and just abuse the shit out of tar pits.

Creston

Ditch the main weapon and go back to the crossbow. Autofire, headshots and headshots-giving-mana. I couldn't imagine some of the levels without being able to stun/headshot ogres for 4-5 hit kills.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 11:12 Creston

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 11:04:
I'm not enjoying OMD2, to be honest. Every level is just a stupid split where you have to guard two walkways, two rifts, two exit portals which are clearly designed for coop. They are just tedious and annoying in single player.

I don't know, the game would be completely boring and tedious if all you had to do was one defend one hallway/rift every time. Two paths and rifts was the natural evolution of the first game. I only ever had a problem with Twisted Halls solo and even that just required me to rethink how I was approaching the level. If you find yourself running around too much just try different trap loadouts, there is almost always a way to safeguard one approach while managing another yourself.

OMD2 just has completely separate areas and you have to run like fucking mad to defend both of them. I also really, REALLY fucking hate the rail sections which make it so you can't build anything on them. That's a shit-ass mechanic.

My biggest issue with it, however, is how much I seem to have to use my character's main attack to kill stuff, and there's no autofire. Grrrr.

Creston

7. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 11:04 Verno

6. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 11:00 Beamer

Creston

I only found one level rough on Warmage, and it was one of the ones with 4 entrances.

What bugged me, though, was that orcs are fixed on one portal when there are multiple. In the original I'd just block one off so that they had to go to the second and I only had to worry about one. Perhaps the mechanic was the same and I got lucky, killing the right orcs first, but in OMD2 the orcs are preprogrammed to go to one portal and will hack through barriers to get there. Even in the Classic levels - they'll hack their way to get to the portal they want, even if the path to the second portal is available.

Seems weak. Yeah, there's one level (Upstairs Downstairs) clearly designed specifically for this mechanic. That doesn't make it any less lame.

-------------

5. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 10:52 Creston

Creston

4. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 10:16 Beamer

Three new levels AND three new endless mode conversions! Wait, but the new conversions include two of those new levels, so really it's three new levels and one new endless mode addition?

I love OMD2, but find the Earth Lords no big deal (though I've played only a few Nightmare levels.) What kills Nightmare and Endless for me are the white grenade wolves. I hated Z enemies in OMD1, but don't mind them here, instead just hating those stupid white wolves. Not a huge fan of cyclops or the harder Trolls, but I hate those white wolves.

Personally, I think endless ramps too quickly. I'd prefer hordes of tons of peons that I can intricately trap rather than quickly getting to creatures that somewhat climb over my traps, or randomly start bashing my barriers, or whathaveyou. Still, I'm content to really unlock a ton with both characters for some reason, keep changing strategy, etc. I can't remember if I finished the original on Nightmare (I think I did 75%), but doubt I'll do that with OMD2, even though I've already put in twice as many hours. Same with Endless - at some point not being co-op feels like too big a disadvantage.

-------------

3. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 10:15 nin

Not wild about DLC so soon, for OMD, I'll probably check it out.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 10:12 ASeven

Sounds like a mini-expansion, a bit of everything thrown into this. Probably will get it, am loving OMD2.  

1. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 10:00 Verno

I love OMD2 but the Earth Lords were really cumbersome and annoying to deal with on Nightmare and especially in Endless mode. There's challenge and then there's tedium, Earth Lords were definitely the latter IMHO. I'm not sure I want to see a bunch of new cloned mobs that add more of that kind of design to the game.

The traps all sound neat but they need more options to deal with flying mobs, in Endless you can't really use Guardians and shock zappers suck.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo