Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week

Robot Entertainment announces Fire & Water, the first booster pack for Orcs Must Die! 2, saying this will be released on Wednesday to add three new levels and three new Endless Mode conversions to the action/strategy sequel. Here's what to expect:

Robot Entertainment today announced Fire & Water, the first booster pack for Orcs Must Die! 2. The booster pack features three brand new levels and three new Endless Mode conversions that can be played in single-player or with a friend in co-op. Players who download the pack will also find a new array of traps to help them combat terrifying new elemental enemies.

Hellish new Fire Lords and Fire Elementals crumble when killed, leaving behind dangerous Firelings that will hunt the player down and explode when they get too close! Slippery Water Lords and Water Elementals dwindle into pools of water when killed, but don’t count them out of the fight! When Waterlings find dormant puddles, they’ll absorb the stagnant water and grow into new Water Elementals!

War Mages will have access to three exciting new traps to add to their arsenal, as well. The Web Spinner is a new wall trap that ensnares hallways full of passing monsters in a sticky tangle of webs, slowing them down to buy precious time. Ceiling Darts turn your fortress into a temple of doom for orcs, dropping from the ceiling to fire deadly darts in every direction. If the orcs make it past your defenses the first time around, you can give them another dose of pain with the new Floor Portal. Place the floor portal anywhere on the ground. Unsuspecting enemies who step on it will be magically teleported back to the beginning of the level!

The Fire & Water booster pack for Orcs Must Die! 2 will be available on Steam for $4.99 on August 29th.

Fire & Water Booster Pack Features:

• New Levels to Defend – The fight for survival isn’t over yet! Battle your way through three exciting new levels in single-player or co-op – Traffic Jammed, Double Decker, and The West Wing.
  • New Endless Mode Conversions – Think you’ve mastered Endless Mode? Think again! The Fire & Water booster pack features three new Endless Mode level conversions to hold your ground on – The Library, Double Decker, and The West Wing.
  • Terrifying New Enemies – Prepare for a whole new challenge when you face off against the harrowing new Fire and Water Elementals!
  • Exciting New Traps – Add some deadly new defenses to your Spellbook with the Web Spinner, Ceiling Darts, and the Floor Portal!
  • New Bonus Skull Definition – Can you hold the invading monsters at bay without traps? Prove your mettle by playing exclusively with weapons and you’ll add another bonus skull to the pile at the end of each level.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 28, 2012, 13:42 Beamer

Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 13:23:
Saboth wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 08:57:
Beamer wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 17:23:
They definitely nerfed autoballistas. I used them like mad in OMD1, but gave up after one shot with them in OMD2. They were too slow, and perhaps Verno is right about them not prioritizing air, but things got through past them too often.

I feel as if they compensated for their infinite health by nerfing them, so you can pick them and not worry (but they don't kill anything), or pick archers that are much deadlier but one wolf can kill like 8 of them if you don't watch their back.

I'll still pick archers.

I dont't think ballistas hit nearly as hard as they used to either. Were they always counted as a guardian instead of a trap?

They weren't considered guardians in OMD1. Not sure what they fall under in OMD2. If they're considered guardians, they are basically worthless.

Creston

Yup, they count against the 25 guardian limit, but unlike other guardians they have infinite health and aren't targeted by enemies.

I wouldn't say useless, as I've only been near 25 guardians while screwing around (well, I'm sure in Endless plenty of people get there, but in solo I've never really made it to have enough cash to warrant that.)

What's useless is just how infrequently they fire, how little damage they do, and how they don't seem to care that something is flying right over them and instead shoot a regular orc 25 yards away.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 28, 2012, 13:23 Creston

Saboth wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 08:57:
They definitely nerfed autoballistas. I used them like mad in OMD1, but gave up after one shot with them in OMD2. They were too slow, and perhaps Verno is right about them not prioritizing air, but things got through past them too often.

I feel as if they compensated for their infinite health by nerfing them, so you can pick them and not worry (but they don't kill anything), or pick archers that are much deadlier but one wolf can kill like 8 of them if you don't watch their back.

I'll still pick archers.

I dont't think ballistas hit nearly as hard as they used to either. Were they always counted as a guardian instead of a trap?

They weren't considered guardians in OMD1. Not sure what they fall under in OMD2. If they're considered guardians, they are basically worthless.

Creston

28. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 28, 2012, 08:57 Saboth

I'll still pick archers.

27. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 28, 2012, 07:18 Omni

I have yet to clear every lvl with 5 skull's and I've not even started Nightmare mode yet... Im getting to old for this shit.  

26. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 17:23 Beamer

I'll still pick archers.

-------------

25. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 15:24 Creston

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 14:27:
There are many traps that get overlooked or have secondary benefits. A lot of people use Brimstone almost exclusively but I feel like the Floor Scorcher is a better trap. It has physics effects in addition to its AoE damage, a fast reset and adds to combo multipliers in a big way. You can put one beside a cliff for example, pointing inward toward the lane and it will flip monsters over the edge in addition to doing damage to things.

The steam trap is awesome too, its only like 250g and you can put a grinder or wall blade 2-3 tiles then it will flip things upward into those traps which adds greatly to your combo scores. Haymakers work well on ceilings for flyers in addition to owning stuff on the ground. Using spring traps to fling things across gaps into void walls is comedy gold too.

Anyways I highly encourage people to experiment and dick around. There are a ton of viable trap scenarios for every map, I actually respec'd between every single Nightmare level to keep trying new things.

Also, AutoBallistas are really the only good trap against flyers unless you can place arrow traps on the path the flyers will take.

I don't know, I hate them because they don't prioritize air targets like archers do. So if your ground box is anywhere near the ballistas, they will waste their cooldowns on kobolds and shit while the flyers go straight to the rift. In the story levels this isn't a big deal but in Endless mode there is no good solution to flyers. Shock zappers suck and archers are wasted money. You basically just have to handle them yourself.

I really dislike how they either nerfed archers or made monsters now target them exclusively (whatever they did.)

Archers were one of my main weapons in OMD1...

I never thought of using steam traps to toss shit into higher traps, I need to look into that.

creston

24. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 14:27 ASeven

Pic of new trap and enemy here.

EDIT: Trap on the left is the new Dart Spike trap, sending traps darts in all directions.

Another pic. And another, and another, and another.

EDIT: Hmm, one of the pics shows a new trinket as well.

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2012, 14:36.

23. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 14:27 Verno

There are many traps that get overlooked or have secondary benefits. A lot of people use Brimstone almost exclusively but I feel like the Floor Scorcher is a better trap. It has physics effects in addition to its AoE damage, a fast reset and adds to combo multipliers in a big way. You can put one beside a cliff for example, pointing inward toward the lane and it will flip monsters over the edge in addition to doing damage to things.

The steam trap is awesome too, its only like 250g and you can put a grinder or wall blade 2-3 tiles then it will flip things upward into those traps which adds greatly to your combo scores. Haymakers work well on ceilings for flyers in addition to owning stuff on the ground. Using spring traps to fling things across gaps into void walls is comedy gold too.

Anyways I highly encourage people to experiment and dick around. There are a ton of viable trap scenarios for every map, I actually respec'd between every single Nightmare level to keep trying new things.

Also, AutoBallistas are really the only good trap against flyers unless you can place arrow traps on the path the flyers will take.

I don't know, I hate them because they don't prioritize air targets like archers do. So if your ground box is anywhere near the ballistas, they will waste their cooldowns on kobolds and shit while the flyers go straight to the rift. In the story levels this isn't a big deal but in Endless mode there is no good solution to flyers. Shock zappers suck and archers are wasted money. You basically just have to handle them yourself.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

22. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 14:04 ASeven

There's also some overlooked traps almost nobody uses. The Barrel Spawner is a damn powerful weapon once it's fully upgraded and placed in a high place. Barrels that drop from high places explode automatically so you can have a row with your regular traps and, if the wall has space above, Barrel Spawners that keeps spawning and exploding. It's a pretty good trap to add attrition to the waves of orcs.

21. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 13:59 Creston

Beamer wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 13:44:
Also good to know. I love spring traps, anyway.

Coiled Spring Traps are what saved my ass tons of times in OMD1 on nightmare. It's fun to watch armored ogres get thrown back to the start of your killbox.

Creston

20. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 13:44 Beamer

Also good to know. I love spring traps, anyway.

I never bothered with the DLC for OMD - didn't seem necessary. More levels, though... I felt this game was short (in part due to my distaste for the enemy ramping in endless) so more levels may entice me. More enemies and/or traps, though, is less interesting. I already have too many I haven't used once.
Though a mode that allowed you infinite weapon slots would be entertaining. I'd love using it to discover new combos.

-------------

19. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 13:39 Creston

Beamer wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 13:21:
Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 12:06:
Beamer wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 11:27:
Ditch the main weapon and go back to the crossbow. Autofire, headshots and headshots-giving-mana. I couldn't imagine some of the levels without being able to stun/headshot ogres for 4-5 hit kills.

I didn't even know the sorceress COULD use the crossbow? Though I have to say the charm ability is supremely overpowered and useful.

Funny, I'm still not 100% certain what a combo is in this game

It's when you kill an orc after he's been affected by 3 or more traps. So if he's on fire from brimstone, walking in a tar pit, being mauled by a grinder, and gets hit from a mace while you're shooting a crossbow at him and there's a lightning storm going on, that's a 6 hit combo. Combos are really the key to scoring in this game (that and killstreaks, but combos are far more easy to pull off.)

Creston

Good to know. I inadvertently get combos, but never create explicitly for combos. And, I suppose, it rewards you for having lower-powered traps.

I typically max out the traps I use as soon as possible and try to let my traps do as much killing as possible to max score. But my scores tend to be mediocre - outside of one that I'm ~750 on (had been ~250, and no clue how I did so well) my scores aren't good. I've been told that scoring and 5-skulling are entirely different skills, so I'm not sure I'll ever go back looking for scores.

I liked the charm, but never put skulls into improving it. I use lightning and crossbow exclusively, except for the final level which forces me to also use ice (stupid lightning bats.) I haven't even tried the crazier weapons like the hammer or the polymorph because I always feel there are better things to put skulls into. I would use the wind belt, but it doesn't blow away ogres (had to insert a word there) like it did in OMD1. It may be something you can upgrade to, but without knowing I'm not trying. I greatly enjoyed pushing them into acid in the original. Maybe I didn't and I'm misremembering, but I'm pretty sure that one of my key strategies was pushing anything that got past my traps back into my traps, and know I killed some wolves by pushing them into lava.

I love this game and could talk about it for hours.

It's much better to use spring traps for that than a wind belt. Throwing stuff into lava means they get no combo, whereas the spring trap just counts towards your combo.

It works both ways, but with spring traps you score much higher.

Creston

18. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 13:36 nin

the fact that DLC is 1/3 the cost of the game sucks, except that it's a $15 game, so I'm fine with it ; )

Pretty much that, yeah.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 13:29 Alamar

nin wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 10:15:
Not wild about DLC so soon, for OMD, I'll probably check it out.

All parts of this comment I expected heh... Not necessarily from you, whoever you are... : )

The same thing happened with OMD... And while I'm unlikely to get OMD2 (still haven't put in the time on the first), the fact that DLC is 1/3 the cost of the game sucks, except that it's a $15 game, so I'm fine with it ; )

-Alamar

16. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 13:21 Beamer

Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 12:06:
Ditch the main weapon and go back to the crossbow. Autofire, headshots and headshots-giving-mana. I couldn't imagine some of the levels without being able to stun/headshot ogres for 4-5 hit kills.

I didn't even know the sorceress COULD use the crossbow? Though I have to say the charm ability is supremely overpowered and useful.

It's when you kill an orc after he's been affected by 3 or more traps. So if he's on fire from brimstone, walking in a tar pit, being mauled by a grinder, and gets hit from a mace while you're shooting a crossbow at him and there's a lightning storm going on, that's a 6 hit combo. Combos are really the key to scoring in this game (that and killstreaks, but combos are far more easy to pull off.)

Creston

Good to know. I inadvertently get combos, but never create explicitly for combos. And, I suppose, it rewards you for having lower-powered traps.

I typically max out the traps I use as soon as possible and try to let my traps do as much killing as possible to max score. But my scores tend to be mediocre - outside of one that I'm ~750 on (had been ~250, and no clue how I did so well) my scores aren't good. I've been told that scoring and 5-skulling are entirely different skills, so I'm not sure I'll ever go back looking for scores.

I liked the charm, but never put skulls into improving it. I use lightning and crossbow exclusively, except for the final level which forces me to also use ice (stupid lightning bats.) I haven't even tried the crazier weapons like the hammer or the polymorph because I always feel there are better things to put skulls into. I would use the wind belt, but it doesn't blow away ogres (had to insert a word there) like it did in OMD1. It may be something you can upgrade to, but without knowing I'm not trying. I greatly enjoyed pushing them into acid in the original. Maybe I didn't and I'm misremembering, but I'm pretty sure that one of my key strategies was pushing anything that got past my traps back into my traps, and know I killed some wolves by pushing them into lava.

I love this game and could talk about it for hours.

-------------

15. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 12:22 Creston

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 11:30:
In the first one you had to defend multiple hallways / areas several times, but at least it was made in such a way that it was possible to do for a single player. (Portals to shift between the two areas, and most levels had a clever little knack where you could re-route the enemies to all get funneled into a single area where you could killbox them.)

OMD2 just has completely separate areas and you have to run like fucking mad to defend both of them. My biggest issue with it, however, is how much I seem to have to use my character's main attack to kill stuff, and there's no autofire. Grrrr.

I hear ya but you just gotta rethink your approach bro. I had some really frustrating moments in the SP because I kept trying to use the same trap setups for every map and stuff I was comfortable with. In the end I just had to change things up and it all fell into place. For example on some levels where the approaches are too far spaced I will wall off one, lay a bit of brimstone down in front to nail sappers and then setup a killbox at a choke point.

I've 5 skulled everything on both characters and in Nightmare, there are some levels with a frantic setup in the early parts but everything is more than doable in SP. If anything I find co-op a bit frustrating at times because you're limited to 6 slots so you have to do a lot of back and forth. If you need some examples to get you started just holler at me on Steam.

I guess I may just switch back to the warmage and just abuse the shit out of tar pits.

Sorceress with Steam Traps with chill and Haymakers with stun is pretty amusing. Acid with slow helps a lot too. Tar is awesome but the Sorc has a bit more versatility and greater combo opportunity IMHO. Also don't forget the Decoy got hella buffed, it has health regen now and its unique upgrades are great.

Yeah, I guess that's probably my biggest issue, that I'm stuck in just making killboxes and don't try anything else. I may have to switch some stuff up. Of course, I bought tons of upgrades for hyper-efficient killboxes, and don't really have many other traps.

I'll give it a try with some other stuff. Never used the decoy, always seemed kinda pointless to me, but I'll give that a try as well.

Thanks man!

Creston

14. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 12:10 fawker

Yet another case of cutting content out of a game so you can milk the customer for money far too soon.  

13. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 12:06 Creston

Creston

12. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 11:40 Beamer

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 11:30:

Sorceress with Steam Traps with chill and Haymakers with stun is pretty amusing. Acid with slow helps a lot too. Tar is awesome but the Sorc has a bit more versatility and greater combo opportunity IMHO. Also don't forget the Decoy got hella buffed, it has health regen now and its unique upgrades are great.

Funny, I'm still not 100% certain what a combo is in this game, and I never use the Decoy (haven't purchased it yet) or the Haymaker. I mostly line walls with grinders and send orcs down, with pounders above. I'm playing with some of the wall blades instead of grinders in a few places, too, but this is my go-to trap. In the original I used a ton of hanging maces (swinging maces, whatever they call them) but wasn't as impressed in this one. They seemed to do less damage and occasionally send an orc past my traps due to the increased physics. However, I still love setting them up near lava and watching orcs get flung into it.

I actually didn't even unlock brimstone for Warmage with the Sorc. Instead I spent money that would have gone to that on the floor springs - put them at the end to launch orcs that make it through all the way back to the beginning.

-------------

11. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Booster Pack This Week Aug 27, 2012, 11:35 Beamer

Also, I know some will disagree, but I find the coin floor very useful. I'll just build a ridiculous killbox on one side and throw a coin floor on another. I'll hand-kill all the orcs on the coin floor to get increased money, then go get the lingering orcs on the other side.

I can't remember many levels that had me running too hectically for more than 2 rounds or so. Heck, even Crunch, the level I had the most trouble with, when I really figured out I could just sit there and wait for most of the back half without doing very much manual killing (little enough that I could sit on the portal.)

-------------

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo