Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's the list of the 10 bestselling games on Valve's Steam service for the week:

1. Counter Strike: Global Offensive
  2. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Ediiton
  3. Arma II Complete Edition
  4. Sleeping Dogs
  5. Borderlands 2
  6. War of the Roses
  7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
  8. Darksiders 2
  9. Just Cause 2
  10. The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim

View
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 22:58 jacobvandy

wtf_man wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 22:53:
a7m2 wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 16:26:
Honestly I can only laugh at people bashing DaS port. What exactly is wrong with it? Use a goddamn controller, this game was meant to play via controller.

Hey, fucktard shill... if we wanted to play a game with a fucking controller, we'd buy a fucking console (or the console version for those people that do have both). Why is that so hard to get through your thick skull? Most PC gamers HATE console controllers. Steamingmad

KB/M is not some messiah of control schemes that excels in every application. In fact, a lot of times it sucks balls. The beauty of PC is its flexibility. Rational PC gamers use the best tool for the job, which for some things happens to be a gamepad. To insist otherwise makes you sound like a shill, yourself.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 22:56 NegaDeath

A lot of people bitching about a product they don't own. Don't like it don't buy it, it's the only message developers hear.  

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 22:53 wtf_man

Honestly I can only laugh at people bashing DaS port. What exactly is wrong with it? Use a goddamn controller, this game was meant to play via controller.

Hey, fucktard shill... if we wanted to play a game with a fucking controller, we'd buy a fucking console (or the console version for those people that do have both). Why is that so hard to get through your thick skull? Most PC gamers HATE console controllers. Steamingmad

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 21:44 jacobvandy

Jerykk wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 20:13:
It's not like Namco/From made a brand new, innovative, big-budget, PC-exclusive game. No, they just made a barebones port that is, for all intents and purposes, exactly the same as the console versions.

Not sure why you expected anything but that... People wanted DARK SOULS on PC. And they got it. It's still a fan-fucking-tastic game, better than a lot of other titles that had way more PC-centric features and/or polish put into them. Plus, as already mentioned, it has extra content in there for free on top of the discounted price.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 20:31 Dades

a7m2 wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 19:59:
Make sure to mention all these valid points in the next petition.

Snide one liners don't address anything I said. They are selling a product to a specific market, they are not your little buddy doing you a favor. I didn't petition anyone but I'm sure the people that did had more in mind than "welp heres a pc game, we think!".

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 20:26 Reactor

Well, I tried the game with a higher res and I actually prefer the chunkier vanilla look, because the game looks less like a bunch of flat polys with low res textures. It seems more atmospheric, but obviously that's just me, because everyone else seems to want a game running at 3k with AA, despite how boringly flat it makes things look.

Anyhoo, while this might not be the best port, at least it runs without crashes.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 20:20 ASeven

Why is it that fucktard fanboys have the need to defend their precious game? Whiteknighting a game won't earn you absolutely anything much like those whiteknighting people on the internet never go to bed with them.

You will not get free games, you won't get the devs to go to bed with you, you will not even get a mention by the devs, you get jackshit other than the utter derision of the sane people who see you for the weak willed person you are. Defending faceless corporations and devs that don't give a fuck about your existence is absolutely the bottom of the barrel. Only trolls or shills have ulterior motives to defend products, anyone else is a fanboy that lowers the intelligence level of the whole of mankind.

Yes, I am sick and fucking tired of retarded fanbois defending products for no reason other than to lower the quality of a market.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 20:13 Jerykk

And developers who actually listen to gamers, don't lie and cover up issues, who are willing to take risks deserve some respect. Don't you think so?

Not really. I respect quality products. I respect publishers and developers who understand and satisfy the expectations of their customers. Releasing a half-assed port is not a risk at all. It's not like Namco/From made a brand new, innovative, big-budget, PC-exclusive game. No, they just made a barebones port that is, for all intents and purposes, exactly the same as the console versions.

Namco can still fix this. If they patch the game up and remove the resolution and framerate limits, that will definitely help. If they can fix the AA and add more PC-centric features, that will also help. However, they haven't said anything about patching the game so I'm not holding my breath.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 19:59 a7m2

Dades wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 19:31:
a7m2 wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 19:22:
Nobody's forcing you to play it. Don't you think that we're lucky to even get this port at all, from a small dev team inexperienced with a PC platform?

Nobody is forcing you to defend it so vigorously and yet here you are too. It's not an act of charity, they release a PC game and the market judges it accordingly. Most don't that it was a console game before or that the developers don't know much about the platform. If you want to treat it differently because the developers don't make many PC games then thats your right but it's not going to stop other people from treating it appropriately.

As for the controls, the keyboard and mouse are the standard forms of input on the PC so gamers generally like to see them well accounted for in the porting process. This shouldn't be difficult to understand and whatever controls are "optimal" doesn't really matter, it's a point of preference.

Make sure to mention all these valid points in the next petition.
Nobody's forcing me to defend this port, true, I'm not on anybody's payroll or anything like that. I am a big fan of the Souls series and I'm pleased with the result. Yet again I must say that I was expecting a much worse product. All the stated issues (which could or could not be avoided) are not gamebreaking. And in time I'm sure the PC version is going to be the best one overall.
And developers who actually listen to gamers, don't lie and cover up issues, who are willing to take risks deserve some respect. Don't you think so?

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 19:43 Jerykk

Don't you think that we're lucky to even get this port at all, from a small dev team inexperienced with a PC platform?

Luck has nothing to do with it. Namco saw the online petitions and recognized that a PC port could be profitable, so they made one. It wasn't an act of charity. However, they weren't willing to put any significant funding into its development, resulting in the lousy port that we have before us. If From had more experience with PC development, they likely would have been able to do a better port even with limited funding. However, Namco obviously doesn't care about quality so they didn't bother outsourcing the port or giving From more time and resources.

If we were lucky, Namco would have more common sense and we would have a good port. That's obviously not what happened.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 19:31 Dades

a7m2 wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 19:22:
Nobody's forcing you to play it. Don't you think that we're lucky to even get this port at all, from a small dev team inexperienced with a PC platform?

Nobody is forcing you to defend it so vigorously and yet here you are too. It's not an act of charity, they release a PC game and the market judges it accordingly. Most don't that it was a console game before or that the developers don't know much about the platform. If you want to treat it differently because the developers don't make many PC games then thats your right but it's not going to stop other people from treating it appropriately.

As for the controls, the keyboard and mouse are the standard forms of input on the PC so gamers generally like to see them well accounted for in the porting process. This shouldn't be difficult to understand and whatever controls are "optimal" doesn't really matter, it's a point of preference.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 19:22 a7m2

Jerykk wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 18:24:
Honestly I can only laugh at people bashing DaS port. What exactly is wrong with it? Use a goddamn controller, this game was meant to play via controller. From Software did a great job with this port, considering all the circumstances, I was afraid it's going to be quite bad to be honest. But it's not. The resolution fix is also available free of charge and takes exactly 1 minute to install and configure.

Shill or troll? Hard to tell these days. If a game needs an unofficial hack just to render at proper resolutions, it's not a good port. If a port has its framerate capped at 30 FPS, it's not a good port. Toss GFWL on top and you end up with the second worst port in PC gaming history (second only to RE4 which had no lighting effects and no mouse support).

second worst port in PC gaming history

Ahahahaha, ok man. Nobody's forcing you to play it. Don't you think that we're lucky to even get this port at all, from a small dev team inexperienced with a PC platform? Things could be much worse as I already said. Everything else is your personal problem. Bad KBM support? Well, as I said before - use a controller, it's way more natural in this case. GFWL was a bad choice for sure but it's not giving me any headaches yet, though I might be lucky with this one. 30 FPS cap is also not a greatest of deals, but again it's not that horrible in this case. And with the fix game looks great, better than on consoles.
It's not the greatest of ports but it's certainly not the worst. First attempt and it's pretty satisfactory. It's quite playable and devoid of any new bugs or glitches as far as I can tell.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 19:10 4D-Boxing

I have to agree with Jerykk's comments. That being said, I don't get the comments about the controls. I may be old but we used to buy joysticks for flight/space sims. Racing games were either played with a joystick, wheel or later gamepads. Then people started complaining if a space sims did not having mouse support.

Now i'm even worried about all those new mech games. I did play parts of wing wing commander 2 with a mouse and keyboard but that was our first 386pc (first year of university) and my brother and I had to save up for a joystick. Today you can buy a cheap joystick or gamepad for less than most spend on pizza. On top of that they are not hard to open up and fix especially with the info we have online. If my brother and I opened up a vic 20 and repaired it and we weren't even in high school surly kids that can root cell phones can fix a cheap peripheral.

Anyways all this to say not a good port though the mouse performance is understandable (and this is coming from someone who cant stand gamepads). Looks at GoW pc that game had mouse support but it made the game so easy that solitaire looked like a tough game.

I think I've hit my quota for pointless rants for this year but I just had to say something.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 19:09 D4rkKnight

GFWL is not behaving properly - it is still very much a piece of shit and is my biggest complaint. I have trouble summoning people because of it and getting it up and running (I run a local account for GTA4 so it was a pain to do account switching for online) was annoying as hell.

Besides that - port works great for me on my ps3 controller. The graphics are so sharp now, I own it on PS3 as well and I could not even play it on that console because it is so blurry.

Also GFWL client refuses to quit sometimes - have to kill the process after the game shuts down, and it keeps seperate resident processes in memory (WLIDSVC and its counterpart) at all times to stay "online". Nobody should be defending this shit.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 18:24 Jerykk

Honestly I can only laugh at people bashing DaS port. What exactly is wrong with it? Use a goddamn controller, this game was meant to play via controller. From Software did a great job with this port, considering all the circumstances, I was afraid it's going to be quite bad to be honest. But it's not. The resolution fix is also available free of charge and takes exactly 1 minute to install and configure.

Shill or troll? Hard to tell these days. If a game needs an unofficial hack just to render at proper resolutions, it's not a good port. If a port has its framerate capped at 30 FPS, it's not a good port. Toss GFWL on top and you end up with the second worst port in PC gaming history (second only to RE4 which had no lighting effects and no mouse support).

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 18:04 Burrito of Peace

a7m2 wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 17:37:
Even GFWL is behaving nice and properly.

And this is how I know you are batshit crazy.

GFWL has never, in the history of the universe and All That Never Was, behaved either nice or properly.

You, madame, are a shill. A paid shill. We shall have none of that. To you I say "Good day, sir! GOOD DAY!"

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 17:37 a7m2

"From Software" is the name of the dev studio broski.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Software

I didn't quite get your reply. Do you have some actual complaints about this port? Let's hear them out.
I'm enjoying it greatly so far, playing with my dualshock3. Even GFWL is behaving nice and properly.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 17:32 ASeven

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 15:31:
You can be cynical if you want and choose negative reinforcement, but I think positive might work better in this situation.

Flawed argument. Either way I prefer to encourage quality and reward good games and port than encourage further laziness and absolute lack of any quality whatsoever in tge port. If others prefer to do that, well, don't come complaining that ports get worse after.

Me, I reward good ports, not terrible quality regardless of who makes it. And I don't believe rewarding such behaviors will in any way improve PC gaming.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 17:30 nin

From Software did a great job with this port,

Yours is the first positive word, one post suspect.

And that rez fix was from the community, not from the dev. If they really cared, they would have fixed that issue themselves.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 17:25 ASeven

Dades wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 16:35:
From Software did a great job with this port, considering all the circumstances

The software simply running on a computer does not a good port make.

Especially if it's the same exact thing as running on 8-years old hardware.

90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo