Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's the list of the 10 bestselling games on Valve's Steam service for the week:

1. Counter Strike: Global Offensive
  2. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Ediiton
  3. Arma II Complete Edition
  4. Sleeping Dogs
  5. Borderlands 2
  6. War of the Roses
  7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
  8. Darksiders 2
  9. Just Cause 2
  10. The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim

View
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

70. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 09:52 cronik

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 04:15:
You are missing out on some great games. Not a huge fan of the current generation but lets take the Nintendo 64 for instance. Banjo Kazooie and Goldeneye are must play games.

I tried to get into Banjo Kazooie, but it felt a bit too kiddie orientated. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the other hand, is a must play for any self-respecting gamer!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 09:11 wtf_man

I'm not debating additionally supported devices.
I'm debating shitty native input support.

I've played plenty of racing games and flight sims where I did not need a wheel nor a joystick, and they played well with a keyboard.

When you have a game that is converted to a target platform, it needs to support the native input WELL. People can then choose if they want to go purchase an extra peripheral.

To take a game that is designed for a console controller, and port it over to a platform that has a totally different native input, means the effort should be put in to support that platform's native input. PERIOD. Otherwise, it is lazy dollar grabbing bullshit... which many of you complain about for other games... yet this one gets a pass, because the asshole publisher was kind enough to throw PC gamers a bone. I don't support scraps, so I won't be purchasing this game, unless someone mods good KB/M support... and then it would only be at rock bottom bargain bin prices.

68. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 09:07 Verno

Man I love me some Dark Souls but the port sucks fellas

nin wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 08:42:
You diehard k/m users let me know how it does in racing games...I'll stick with a gamepad or wheel, thanks.

While not necessarily ideal, the important thing is that the option is there. PCs don't exactly ship with gamepads so expecting everyone to have one is kinda silly. I don't think anyone cares if the control isn't the developers vision so long as the mouse doesn't spaz out randomly, have horrible acceleration problems and they can rebind their keys. That's not exactly asking developers to do a lot of work either, those are pretty basic things. There are far more time intensive porting problems yet those basic features are usually skipped (along with the advanced things too!).

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

67. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 08:43 netnerd85

nin wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 08:42:
You diehard k/m users let me know how it does in racing games...I'll stick with a gamepad or wheel, thanks.

The Crash Time series works great with keyboard. It works okay with the xbox 360 controller as well. But the keyboard does feel more responsive.

66. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 08:42 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

65. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 07:45 Dades

InBlack wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 05:23:
I wanted to talk about the new Counter Strike. All I have to say is what the fuck? Did the old CS feel so fast paced? Its sort of like Quake on steroids. At least from what Ive seen of the gameplay on youtube. Very very strange. Instant respwans, and sort of old school gameplay....nice and dandy but Im bored to tears with the insta deaths & insta respawns into the mass fray. Which brings me to Planetside2. Some of the gameplay videos look positively awesome, and others look really shit, but Ill give them the benefit of the doubt, signed up for beta. Hopefully Ill get in.

I haven't played that much Counterstrike but I remember it being extremely fast paced in the old versions if you played it on public servers.

I can't remember if we're still under NDA about Planetside 2 or not but I wouldn't worry about the quality of the game.

64. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 07:32 Bhruic

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 01:50:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 01:30:
Skyrim got a ton of flack for its shitty UI and poor optimization.
Ah...huh... what about the bugs and pathetic textures? No, there was just a huge thud as everyone simultaneously dropped to their knees.

And what does that have to do with anything? We are talking about the quality of the port. If the game had bugs across all platforms (which it did), then the quality of the port doesn't enter in to the equation. Now if you could point to a hugely significant list of bugs that were only present on the PC port, then you might have a case. But while there were PC-specific bugs, none of them were very significant.

63. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 07:29 Dades

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 00:41:
Attacking someone because they like a game is down right pathetic. No matter what the game.

People forgive Skyrim for it's serve lack of quality, then you say use mods to fix the game. You people are hypocrites when it suits you, get off the high horse or be consistent.

No, you have it backwards and selectively read to suit your posts. Fans of the game are attacking other people for stating the truth about the quality of the port. Skyrim received many complaints about its PC deficiencies but the developers of that game shipped a full SDK in addition to providing significant post-release commitment.

The funny thing is no one complained about gamepads back in the day, or games clearly designed for a flightstick

No one said anything about gamepads now, gamepads are fine for some games but they are not the standard input method on the pc. I dont expect developers to redo their game to suit it but many put in less than a token effort.

62. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 07:22 ASeven

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 03:56:
LOL

Blues News Forums

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

At least none of us were silly enough to defend Dragon Age 2 as a good game.

61. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 07:22 SpectralMeat

I wanted to talk about the new Counter Strike. All I have to say is what the fuck? Did the old CS feel so fast paced? Its sort of like Quake on steroids. At least from what Ive seen of the gameplay on youtube. Very very strange. Instant respwans, and sort of old school gameplay....nice and dandy but Im bored to tears with the insta deaths & insta respawns into the mass fray. Which brings me to Planetside2. Some of the gameplay videos look positively awesome, and others look really shit, but Ill give them the benefit of the doubt, signed up for beta. Hopefully Ill get in.

The "armsrace" game mode is a lot faster paced then the standard Counter Strike game mode. It is a lot of fun though. I am happy with the game and it is a lot of fun to play it. I wouldn't judge it purely on youtube videos. Check out TotalBiscuit or GiantBomb's video previews.

Steam: SpectralMeat

60. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 05:49 netnerd85

@Jerykk, do you own Dark Souls PC?  

59. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 05:45 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 03:34:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 03:18:
You called people hypocrites for supporting Skyrim but not Dark Souls. For that to be a valid comparison, both games would need to be equally poor ports. That's obviously not the case, as Dark Souls is a significantly worse port than Skyrim.
Why do they have to be exactly the same to be treated equally? they are both games are they not? they are both ports? You assumed Beth would support their game didn't you? You seem convinced that Namco won't. That seems a little unfair.

But I'm not wanting to make it a comparison only between these two games. I actually have a list of other games in mind that have been raped unfairly in recent years while others just slip past due to high levels of marketing.

What reason would I have to believe that Namco will support Dark Souls PC post-release? Hell, they couldn't even be bothered to properly support it pre-release, which is why this thread exists.

Let me put it simply: this is the second worst port since RE4. Aside from RE4, there is no other port that's as bad as Dark Souls PC. Not even Saints Row 2. To limit the internal render resolution of a PC game is so idiotic that it baffles the mind. To limit that resolution to 1024x720, which wasn't even considered HD ten years ago, is even worse. Then they thought it would be a good idea to lock the framerate to 30 FPS, even though PC hardware could and should be able to run the game at a constant 60. Finally, to rub salt in the wound, they added GFWL, which is universally loathed in the PC community.

Again, Dark Souls PC is a terrible port. No amount of hype or marketing would change that.

58. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 05:37 Jerykk

Instant respawns? I think you're playing the wrong mode.

57. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 05:23 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

56. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 04:15 netnerd85

jdreyer wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 03:59:
Well for one I never intend to own a console.
You are missing out on some great games. Not a huge fan of the current generation but lets take the Nintendo 64 for instance. Banjo Kazooie and Goldeneye are must play games.

I own a Wii and a Playstation 3 of the current generation, I hate the playstation 3 so much but it has Motorstorm which, while extremely frustrating at times, is fun to play.

Know your enemy and swallow your pride.

55. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 03:59 jdreyer

Jerykk wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 03:29:
On the other hand isn't it cool that we're getting one of the most critically aclaimed console games on pc?

If the PC version doesn't take advantage of the benefits of PC hardware, why bother porting it at all? Might as well just buy the console versions for $20 and get the same experience for half the price.

That's what some people just don't seem to comprehend. The reason I play games on PC is because I care about image quality and performance. If I didn't care about those things, I would have bought a console long ago and Dark Souls along with it. When I buy a PC game, I expect superior image quality and performance, equivalent to other PC games. When I buy a Blu-Ray, I expect superior image quality compared to DVD and VHS. It is the product creator's responsibility to meet these expectations.

I'd respect Namco/From's honesty regarding the port's shoddiness if they were giving it away for free as an act of charity. But that's not what they're doing. They're charging $40 for it. That's twice as much as it currently costs on consoles and almost as much as twhe standard MSRP for PC games.
Well for one I never intend to own a console. Two I agree that 40 is too
mmuch. I will pay 10 for this when i get it.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 03:56 StingingVelvet

I am laughing at the idea of anything being "native" to the PC. A laptop does not come with a mouse and barely any PC comes with a real video card anymore. Do we complain when a game requires one of those?

As someone else said brilliantly the beauty of the PC is adaptability. Use the best control method for the job and shut the fuck up for Christ's sake.

The funny thing is no one complained about gamepads back in the day, or games clearly designed for a flightstick. It was common sense to have peripherals for certain games back then. It's only since the Xbox stole the shooter and RPG genres from the PC and people were like OMG WAR that this stupid idea of "gamepads are for console heathens" came around. Is pure bullshit posturing and fake superiority.

I would never think to play an FPS with a pad and feel bad for those who do. I would also never think to play Dark Souls, Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Grid and whatever the fuck else with a keyboard, and feel bad for those who do.

53. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 03:56 Dirwulf

LOL

Blues News Forums

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

52. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 03:52 .Drifter

wtf_man wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 23:23:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 22:58:
KB/M is not some messiah of control schemes that excels in every application. In fact, a lot of times it sucks balls. The beauty of PC is its flexibility. Rational PC gamers use the best tool for the job, which for some things happens to be a gamepad. To insist otherwise makes you sound like a shill, yourself.

Yo, Einstein, look up the word shill.

The only reason KB/M sucks balls in any game is because the retarded developer either didn't know how to make a decent control scheme for it, or didn't bother (because it's a fucking port). That said... the KB/M is the native "control" for the PC. If one is not going to put the effort in making their application work with the native control of the platform in question... then they shouldn't bother at all. Suggesting we all go out and buy a non-native peripheral, just to play a game on a preferred platform, is asinine.

Supporting additional peripherals is a plus. Not supporting the native input devices to a given platform is inexcusable, if you are trying to sell something for that platform.

My Commodore 128 came with a port that a joystick could plug into. I played Last Ninja, Pirates, and a myriad of other games with the joystick.
My Amiga 500 came with a port a joystick could plug into. I played Sword of Sodan, Impossible Mission 2, Test Drive 2, and many other games with it.
My PC has a USB port, and there are several joysticks/gamepads/flight sticks/steering wheels that can attach to that USB port.
I'm not even going to try to list all the games I've played with a flight stick or gamepad on my PC.
Joysticks, gamepads, and control devices of a similar nature have been native to PC's for years, and given the choice between a gamepad and keyboard for a racing game, I'd go with the gamepad any day. Why? Throttle and steering is better on a gamepad, since it's not "all or nothing" like it is on a keyboard. I don't much care for steering wheels in racing games, oddly enough, since I can't control the car as well as with a gamepad.
And Mechwarrior 3 was a hell of a lot more fun with a flight stick than with a mouse and keyboard.

51. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 03:39 jdreyer

wtf_man wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 23:23:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 22:58:
KB/M is not some messiah of control schemes that excels in every application. In fact, a lot of times it sucks balls. The beauty of PC is its flexibility. Rational PC gamers use the best tool for the job, which for some things happens to be a gamepad. To insist otherwise makes you sound like a shill, yourself.

Yo, Einstein, look up the word shill.

The only reason KB/M sucks balls in any game is because the retarded developer either didn't know how to make a decent control scheme for it, or didn't bother (because it's a fucking port). That said... the KB/M is the native "control" for the PC. If one is not going to put the effort in making their application work with the native control of the platform in question... then they shouldn't bother at all. Suggesting we all go out and buy a non-native peripheral, just to play a game on a preferred platform, is asinine.

Supporting additional peripherals is a plus. Not supporting the native input devices to a given platform is inexcusable, if you are trying to sell something for that platform.
Certain games are designed with certain controllers in mind. Flight sims are pretty much unplayable without a js and throttle. Racing games are SO much better with a wheel and pedals. And I've had a programmable Suncom gamepad since the 90s to play fighting games and platformers on my pc. Most of these kinds of games atemuch more difficult if not impossible with a kbm control.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo