Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's the list of the 10 bestselling games on Valve's Steam service for the week:

1. Counter Strike: Global Offensive
  2. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Ediiton
  3. Arma II Complete Edition
  4. Sleeping Dogs
  5. Borderlands 2
  6. War of the Roses
  7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
  8. Darksiders 2
  9. Just Cause 2
  10. The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim

View
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 03:37 netnerd85

PHJF wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 03:25:
Why is anyone even debating this? They said in plain English they were doing a shit port. They did a shit port. The end.
Lol, indeed, but if you look on the Steam forums people are claiming you have to be a detective before you can feel safe buying a game these days. It's getting really pathetic, personal responsibility plays a huge part here.

The developer and publisher said what they were going to do, they did it. Accept it and move on or request politely that things be fixed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 03:34 netnerd85

Jerykk wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 03:18:
You called people hypocrites for supporting Skyrim but not Dark Souls. For that to be a valid comparison, both games would need to be equally poor ports. That's obviously not the case, as Dark Souls is a significantly worse port than Skyrim.
Why do they have to be exactly the same to be treated equally? they are both games are they not? they are both ports? You assumed Beth would support their game didn't you? You seem convinced that Namco won't. That seems a little unfair.

But I'm not wanting to make it a comparison only between these two games. I actually have a list of other games in mind that have been raped unfairly in recent years while others just slip past due to high levels of marketing.

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 03:29 Jerykk

On the other hand isn't it cool that we're getting one of the most critically aclaimed console games on pc?

If the PC version doesn't take advantage of the benefits of PC hardware, why bother porting it at all? Might as well just buy the console versions for $20 and get the same experience for half the price.

That's what some people just don't seem to comprehend. The reason I play games on PC is because I care about image quality and performance. If I didn't care about those things, I would have bought a console long ago and Dark Souls along with it. When I buy a PC game, I expect superior image quality and performance, equivalent to other PC games. When I buy a Blu-Ray, I expect superior image quality compared to DVD and VHS. It is the product creator's responsibility to meet these expectations.

I'd respect Namco/From's honesty regarding the port's shoddiness if they were giving it away for free as an act of charity. But that's not what they're doing. They're charging $40 for it. That's twice as much as it currently costs on consoles and almost as much as the standard MSRP for PC games.

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 03:25 PHJF

Why is anyone even debating this? They said in plain English they were doing a shit port. They did a shit port. The end.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 03:19 jdreyer

Okay, I see both sides of the argument here. On the one hand if someone is going to port a console game to pc they should do it right. On the other hand isn't it cool that we're getting one of the most critically aclaimed console games on pc? From Software did the right thing by being forthcoming about the limitations of the port so people could make their own minds up as to whether it was worth it. I admire and appreciate their honesty. This isn't my kind of game, but I'm intrigued enough to pick it up on sale, as i do for many games that are not genres i play much. In that respect i think the port was a success as it introduced and raised awareness of the game to a brand new audience.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 03:18 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 03:08:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 01:58:
For example, claiming that the Dark Souls port is equal to or better than the Skyrim port is a ridiculous claim that can be easily refuted through both reason and fact.
Who ever said that? Exactly my dear. High horse dismount! *presents hand* ma lady?

You called people hypocrites for supporting Skyrim but not Dark Souls. For that to be a valid comparison, both games would need to be equally poor ports. That's obviously not the case, as Dark Souls is a significantly worse port than Skyrim.

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 03:08 netnerd85

Again, post-release support. Bethesda has fixed a ton of bugs through patches
Lets hope for a Dark Souls patch. But dropping to your knees before a patch is released for one game and not another seems, "wrong".

For example, claiming that the Dark Souls port is equal to or better than the Skyrim port is a ridiculous claim that can be easily refuted through both reason and fact.
Who ever said that? Exactly my dear. High horse dismount! *presents hand* ma lady?

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2012, 03:31.

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 02:49 jacobvandy

Is the game itself great? Sure. But that's not the point.

This is where I just have to laugh and say, whatever man... You argue about meta "we have to influence the industry with our wallets" shit all you want, I'm going to enjoy playing my games.

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 01:58 Jerykk

Ah...huh... what about the bugs and pathetic textures? No, there was just a huge thud as everyone simultaneously dropped to their knees.

Again, post-release support. Bethesda has fixed a ton of bugs through patches (though many of these bugs existed in all versions of the game and weren't PC-specific) and they released an HD texture pack to improve the texture issues. Granted, the official HD textures aren't as good as the unofficial ones but that's the case for pretty much every game ever made.

So why attack fans of the game?

If your argument has flawed logic and/or incorrect claims of fact, it will be attacked. For example, claiming that the Dark Souls port is equal to or better than the Skyrim port is a ridiculous claim that can be easily refuted through both reason and fact.

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 01:50 netnerd85

Jerykk wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 01:30:
Skyrim got a ton of flack for its shitty UI and poor optimization.
Ah...huh... what about the bugs and pathetic textures? No, there was just a huge thud as everyone simultaneously dropped to their knees.

Jerykk wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 01:30:
If Namco/From remove the resolution/framerate limits and offer post-release support equal to Skyrim's, then they will be forgiven. Until then, they are completely deserving of any and all criticism.
So why attack fans of the game?

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 01:30 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 00:41:
Attacking someone because they like a game is down right pathetic. No matter what the game.

People forgive Skyrim for it's serve lack of quality, then you say use mods to fix the game. You people are hypocrites when it suits you, get off the high horse or be consistent.

Skyrim got a ton of flack for its shitty UI and poor optimization. The difference is that even with these things, it was still a much better port than Dark Souls is. In addition, Bethesda has greatly improved optimization through patches since the game's release. On top of all that, Bethesda has released PC-centric things like the mod tools and HD texture pack.

If Namco/From remove the resolution/framerate limits and offer post-release support equal to Skyrim's, then they will be forgiven. Until then, they are completely deserving of any and all criticism.

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 01:00 NegaDeath

I think people are confused. The game supports KB/M. The issue is, as with the rest of the game, it's lazy. The on-screen button prompts haven't been updated and there are some sensitivity issues. Mouse buttons 3, 4 and 5 can't be mapped without using external software. Not excusable but not unplayable either.  

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 00:41 netnerd85

Attacking someone because they like a game is down right pathetic. No matter what the game.

People forgive Skyrim for it's serve lack of quality, then you say use mods to fix the game. You people are hypocrites when it suits you, get off the high horse or be consistent.

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 00:37 Dev

If a controller is the only choice for this, then they should just state that on the box that its required, and refuse to start the game unless you have a controller.

If they aren't going to do that, then they have a responsibility to support KB/M, support it so that the entire game can be played on it.

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 00:30 Dades

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 22:58:
KB/M is not some messiah of control schemes that excels in every application. Rational PC gamers use the best tool for the job, which for some things happens to be a gamepad. To insist otherwise makes you sound like a shill, yourself.

Rational PC gamers use the tool they find the most comfortable, not what is considered optimal by random people they don't know. If most games were ported properly either set of controls would be adequate. Many traditional PC games have been ported to consoles or seen multiplatform releases with both input choices taken into account.

No one is attacking your precious Dark Souls. I'm sure it's an excellent game but this is simply not a good port. There is more to making a good port than running the software stably and inexperience is no excuse, that's why there are several third party porting houses who specialize in this.

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 00:26 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 21:44:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 20:13:
It's not like Namco/From made a brand new, innovative, big-budget, PC-exclusive game. No, they just made a barebones port that is, for all intents and purposes, exactly the same as the console versions.

Not sure why you expected anything but that... People wanted DARK SOULS on PC. And they got it. It's still a fan-fucking-tastic game, better than a lot of other titles that had way more PC-centric features and/or polish put into them. Plus, as already mentioned, it has extra content in there for free on top of the discounted price.

I see. So it's unreasonable to expect the game to actually render at the player's chosen resolution, like, oh, every single 3D PC game ever made? Nobody wanted a shitty port. They wanted a good port. Is the game itself great? Sure. But that's not the point. If you're going to sell your game on PC, you need to meet the standards for that platform and its audience. The Godfather may be a great movie but if I buy it on Blu-Ray and end up getting a VHS-quality experience, it's perfectly reasonable for me to be upset.

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 00:19 NegaDeath

wtf_man wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 23:23:
The only reason KB/M sucks balls in any game is because the retarded developer either didn't know how to make a decent control scheme for it, or didn't bother (because it's a fucking port). That said... the KB/M is the native "control" for the PC. If one is not going to put the effort in making their application work with the native control of the platform in question... then they shouldn't bother at all. Suggesting we all go out and buy a non-native peripheral, just to play a game on a preferred platform, is asinine.

Supporting additional peripherals is a plus. Not supporting the native input devices to a given platform is inexcusable, if you are trying to sell something for that platform.

I've had a gamepad plugged into my PC since the DOS days. Don't call other people shills for having PC's different from yours.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 23:27 Acleacius

ASeven wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 13:56:
....As it is I rather skip a great game and a terrible port rather than encourage publishers and developers to not make any effort whatsoever when porting to PC.
Thumbsup

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 23:23 wtf_man

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 22:58:
KB/M is not some messiah of control schemes that excels in every application. In fact, a lot of times it sucks balls. The beauty of PC is its flexibility. Rational PC gamers use the best tool for the job, which for some things happens to be a gamepad. To insist otherwise makes you sound like a shill, yourself.

Yo, Einstein, look up the word shill.

The only reason KB/M sucks balls in any game is because the retarded developer either didn't know how to make a decent control scheme for it, or didn't bother (because it's a fucking port). That said... the KB/M is the native "control" for the PC. If one is not going to put the effort in making their application work with the native control of the platform in question... then they shouldn't bother at all. Suggesting we all go out and buy a non-native peripheral, just to play a game on a preferred platform, is asinine.

Supporting additional peripherals is a plus. Not supporting the native input devices to a given platform is inexcusable, if you are trying to sell something for that platform.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 26, 2012, 23:21 Reactor

Yep, the mouse trumps the gamepad 90% of the time, but for third person games that feature lockon as a main part of the gameplay, pads are actually better. Assassin's Creed is a good example. It's just better on a pad, and it took me a bit to actually realise that because I've used the mouse for so long.

That said, there's nothing wrong with lamenting the mouse controls in DS. They'd be good if they were coded properly.

90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo