Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's the list of the 10 bestselling games on Valve's Steam service for the week:

1. Counter Strike: Global Offensive
  2. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Ediiton
  3. Arma II Complete Edition
  4. Sleeping Dogs
  5. Borderlands 2
  6. War of the Roses
  7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
  8. Darksiders 2
  9. Just Cause 2
  10. The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim

View
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

90. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 23:20 Jerykk

ElCidTmax wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 19:29:
I've played Dark Souls on the PS3 for ~100 hours. I tend to play a little cautiously, so I'm probably not as far into the game as some others would be. What I can tell you from my game experience is the gamepad controls are very very well done. The game combat feels great.

I've been a PC gamer since I built my 386dx and original soundblaster card, so I feel I "get" what PC gaming is about. It may be sacrilege, but you really owe it to yourself to get an xbox controller for some of the newer games on PC. Dark Souls really is designed to work with a gamepad and it isn't the same game with KB/M because you are missing the feel of the combat. As bad as the KB/M feels (and yeah it could be better) with the controller it feels great. It's actually really nice to play games with the xbox controller for the games that work well with it.

As for the quality of the port - it is subjective due to the arguments around how much the game is changed to be more PC-friendly. I've played 10 hours or so and the game controls feel correct with the gamepad, and there are no glitches or crashes, and the performance is even more solid than on my PS3. Using the graphics fix works well which is a nice bonus, but the game as delivered from the developer is pretty solid.

Contrast this with a game like Dead Island, which makes my Nvidia 570GTX want to burst into flames after 10 minutes for no apparent reason. Now *that* is a bad port.

This game is one of those that will be on people's all-time favorite lists. People will be playing it 5 years from now. Make the investment in a gamepad, it will be worth it.

Seeing all these complaints is just strange to me. Play the game as it was designed and you will understand why people like it.

Going to have to disagree on a whole lot of fronts here. Firstly, there's nothing "solid" about the Dark Souls port. Forcing the game to render at 1024x720 and capping the framerate at 30 is simply unacceptable. Secondly, I think there was something wrong with your 570 GTX if it burst into flames while playing Dead Island. Dead Island was a buggy game, yes, but the vast majority of these bugs were cross-platform and not PC-centric. Dead Island was an infinitely better port than Dark Souls.

As for controls, I don't really mind using a gamepad. All PC games should be playable with M/KB, but that doesn't mean that M/KB is the optimal control scheme for every game. However, 1024x720 + 30 FPS cap + GFWL = unacceptable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

89. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 22:48 Dades

Looks like Dawnguard is getting a deserved drubbing down the list, hope to see it drop further soon. Mediocre content should not be rewarded.  

88. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 22:19 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 19:29:
Well to his credit he has openly admitted he is a contrarian and will argue different points of the same issue depending on the website.

Teehee.

87. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 19:29 Prez

Eh I think you're just doing your usual contrary BS, I doubt you've even played the port.

Well to his credit he has openly admitted he is a contrarian and will argue different points of the same issue depending on the website. But Devil's advocacy aside, I have to say that there is merit to both sides of the issue about whether or not to buy bad ports (I agree with you 100% on the control scheme debate though).

In the end I will buy Dark Souls for PC, because I feel a good core game provides for some allowances in technical foibles due to being a crappy port. That by no means, however, indicates that I don't see exactly what Jerykk's well-stated opinions on the subject are saying. I'll just not buy at full price a game that didn't receive a full effort.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

86. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 19:29 ElCidTmax

I've played Dark Souls on the PS3 for ~100 hours. I tend to play a little cautiously, so I'm probably not as far into the game as some others would be. What I can tell you from my game experience is the gamepad controls are very very well done. The game combat feels great.

I've been a PC gamer since I built my 386dx and original soundblaster card, so I feel I "get" what PC gaming is about. It may be sacrilege, but you really owe it to yourself to get an xbox controller for some of the newer games on PC. Dark Souls really is designed to work with a gamepad and it isn't the same game with KB/M because you are missing the feel of the combat. As bad as the KB/M feels (and yeah it could be better) with the controller it feels great. It's actually really nice to play games with the xbox controller for the games that work well with it.

As for the quality of the port - it is subjective due to the arguments around how much the game is changed to be more PC-friendly. I've played 10 hours or so and the game controls feel correct with the gamepad, and there are no glitches or crashes, and the performance is even more solid than on my PS3. Using the graphics fix works well which is a nice bonus, but the game as delivered from the developer is pretty solid.

Contrast this with a game like Dead Island, which makes my Nvidia 570GTX want to burst into flames after 10 minutes for no apparent reason. Now *that* is a bad port.

This game is one of those that will be on people's all-time favorite lists. People will be playing it 5 years from now. Make the investment in a gamepad, it will be worth it.

Seeing all these complaints is just strange to me. Play the game as it was designed and you will understand why people like it.

85. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 15:30 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 15:13:
Dark Souls is a bad port for many reasons, but I still disagree here. The difference there is the 360 actually does have a standard control method, so making them use a keyboard or whatever is completely opposed to the platform. The PC has no such standard, no such limitations.

Eh I think you're just doing your usual contrary BS, I doubt you've even played the port. Again two separate things going on here. When I said KB/M is the standard input peripheral on the PC, I didn't mean games in particular, I meant the platform as a whole. It's the most obvious target to start with if developers want to hit a large potential market. You turn on your PC and you interact with it using a device that uses or simulates KB/M input. Maybe touch screens will change that going forward but that's pretty much how it is now.

I don't think developers should be forced to always include support for it if they don't want to but you ignore a massive chunk of the market by ignoring it so it's no surprise that it's an unofficial "standard" of sorts.

I repeat, "back in the day" a gamepad was more "standard" on a PC than a mouse was. Games were released on PC that required a joystick or other peripherals. The PC has NO standard control scheme for games, none.

The game was sold with KB/M support, asking companies to do it properly isn't unreasonable and it's not a significant cost factor to them. If someone wants to sell gamepad only games then go nuts but make sure that's prominently displayed. No one said people can't make games for gamepad only folks, in fact quite a large segment of the market does that already so it's not like they need anymore service but whatever.

In my opinion games like Dark Sounds are already in that group anyway, they just pretend otherwise to try and please people who are like "gamepads are for kids yo."

Some people don't like gamepads for the same reasons some people don't like KB/M, people largely use what they've learned with. There are many people who insist on playing FPS games with gamepads since that's what they have grown up with. I think the comment is unfair too, its usually a small minority of posters who have that opinion about gamepads.

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2012, 16:06.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

84. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 15:13 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 12:48:
KB/M is the standard input peripherals on a PC, as in the most widely used. I use gamepads sometimes, there is nothing wrong with them but you don't boot up the computer and control it with a gamepad like a console. Asking developers to do the barest minimum of effort to ensure KB/M use works is not unreasonable. I wouldn't port a PC game to the consoles that requires keyboard input and tell them to buy a 360 chatpad.

Dark Souls is a bad port for many reasons, but I still disagree here. The difference there is the 360 actually does have a standard control method, so making them use a keyboard or whatever is completely opposed to the platform. The PC has no such standard, no such limitations.

I repeat, "back in the day" a gamepad was more "standard" on a PC than a mouse was. Games were released on PC that required a joystick or other peripherals. The PC has NO standard control scheme for games, none. A mouse does not come with laptops, a gaming quality video card does not come with 90% of PCs sold. Hell, tons of people build their PC from parts and it has no standard anything.

It's an open, adaptable, anything goes platform. That is its strength and weakness. I for one would welcome games with "controller required" setups if it meant more PC games to choose from and enjoy. In my opinion games like Dark Sounds are already in that group anyway, they just pretend otherwise to try and please people who are like "gamepads are for kids yo."

83. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 14:54 Verno

I feel bad that I can't really spend any time playing CS:GO, I love me some CS but PS2, Sleeping Dogs, GW2 and Borderlands 2 are going to be occupying my time for the foreseeable future  

82. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 14:36 xXBatmanXx

So anyway!

CS GO is doing well.

/runs

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

81. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 12:48 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 12:26:
What exactly does this standard uniform PC ship with? Because I have never heard of such a thing.

KB/M is the standard input peripherals on a PC, as in the most widely used. I use gamepads sometimes, there is nothing wrong with them but you don't boot up the computer and control it with a gamepad like a console. Asking developers to do the barest minimum of effort to ensure KB/M use works is not unreasonable. I wouldn't port a PC game to the consoles that requires keyboard input and tell them to buy a 360 chatpad.

There are two different arguments here that people are confusing. Some people view any criticism of the ports control problems as an attack on gamepads - its not. Some people view the technical issues as an attack on the game quality, they aren't. There are many excellent PC ports that were designed for gamepad use but still accommodate KB/M well, it is not a high cost development thing to pull off either so there really is no excuse. I love Demon Souls and Dark Souls, put hundreds of hours into them and made countless posts telling others about them.

Dark Souls is a great game, unfortunately it is also a bad port. Some people will be able to enjoy it despite its problems and others will not, neither is right or wrong.

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2012, 13:14.

80. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 12:31 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 05:49:
@Jerykk, do you own Dark Souls PC?

Nope. I'm not going to support such shoddy ports. However, I have seen screenshots and read reviews. The fact that the game is locked at 1024x720 and 30 FPS means I'm not going to play it until those arbitrary limits are removed. If Namco/From removes them officially through patches, I'll consider paying more than $10 for the game. If I have to resort to hacks, bargain bin it is.

79. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 12:26 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 09:07:
While not necessarily ideal, the important thing is that the option is there. PCs don't exactly ship with gamepads so expecting everyone to have one is kinda silly.

What exactly does this standard uniform PC ship with? Because I have never heard of such a thing.

78. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 11:49 Dev

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 11:01:
Yeah they patched it up awhile ago and also fixed that thing where Steam wouldn't remember your "do not automatically update this game" settings. I'm pretty happy with Steam now although I think they need to make a tab for the workshop instead of lumping it under community.
Do I dare hope they hired someone who thinks its interesting and fun to polish up steam and fix its bugs? Or is this a passing fancy, a desk that was wheeled to the steam server room for a few weeks?

77. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 11:01 Verno

Yeah they patched it up awhile ago and also fixed that thing where Steam wouldn't remember your "do not automatically update this game" settings. I'm pretty happy with Steam now although I think they need to make a tab for the workshop instead of lumping it under community.  

76. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 10:59 Creston

Btw, holy shit, but Valve has FIXED the broken-ass offline mode on Steam!

I'm in particular referring to the one where it recognized you had no internet connectivity, you'd click on offline mode, and it would say that the action could not be completed and exit. It's fixed. FIXED!

Creston

75. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 10:14 IoCaster

Dark Souls PC is a bad port. The KB/M support is abysmal and totally broken. They put so little effort into the port that it's easy to assume that they were forced to do it by the publisher and simply wanted to cobble something together and ship it.

As far as the game being designed for gamepads it's undeniably true. That said there is nothing about the gameplay itself that wouldn't work properly with KB/M if any effort had been made to support it at the basic level. I'm slogging my way through the game slowly using KB/M and it's certainly doable with some tweaks to mouse sensitivity, but it's an aggravating experience beyond the inherent difficulty of the game itself. Great game, awful port.

74. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 10:06 ASeven

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 10:05:
He was being sarcastic Dev, that guy was one of the people. Don't be so pedantic

73. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 10:06 ASeven

Dev wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 09:56:
ASeven wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 07:22:
Dirwulf wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 03:56:
LOL

Blues News Forums

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

At least none of us were silly enough to defend Dragon Age 2 as a good game.
Pretty sure you are misremembering since I remember at least a couple blues news people who liked that one better.

Correction then.

At least most of us weren't silly enough to defend Dragon Age 2 as a good game.

72. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 10:05 Verno

He was being sarcastic Dev, that guy was one of the people. Don't be so pedantic Pretty much every game in existence has defenders even Trespasser, everyone has different taste. Also some people just like being contrary for the sake of it  

71. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 27, 2012, 09:56 Dev

ASeven wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 07:22:
Dirwulf wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 03:56:
LOL

Blues News Forums

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

At least none of us were silly enough to defend Dragon Age 2 as a good game.
Pretty sure you are misremembering since I remember at least a couple blues news people who liked that one better.

90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo