Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins

As noted on GuildWars2.com, head-start access to Guild Wars 2 is now underway, allowing preorder customers to get underway in ArenaNet's MMORPG sequel. There have been some glitches in the process, and the Guild Wars 2 Twitter Feed has answers to questions from users about how to deal with various issues, and notes that the Trading Post is down at the moment, and there's currently no ETA for when it will return. Thanks John.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 27, 2012, 13:16 WyldKat

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 09:34:
You gotta dodge stuff

Yeah this can't be stated enough. I observed a lot of players in the headstart who just stood still as if this was WoW. You need to move around, use your disables/debuffs, use the environment and evade attacks. Enemies in PvE can KO your ass in no time flat once you get past the level 5ish stuff.

It's pretty awesome that not only the game, but your fellow players will reward you for playing skillfully. I saw someone in trouble so I rushed over to him on my engineer just as he went down. I started kiting mobs, using my knockbacks, dropping my turrets, using combo fields and using my finishers through them until I killed the 3 even leveled mobs (one was a vet) then I rezzed the guy. I got a "That was amazing." in /say. Feels good man.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 27, 2012, 09:34 Verno

So yeah I spent most of the weekend playing, had a blast. Probably one of the smoothest MMO launches I've participated in. Login servers were fucked up a bit on the Headstart release and the servers crashed for a few hours early in the AM but other than that it was pretty good. The tertiary game systems aren't as stable however - the trading post has been down since release and the guild roster stuff is flaky as hell, particularly for large guilds. The party invites across instances were on and off all weekend too.

Once they get that stuff ironed out they've got a hit on their hands. I keep wavering between Daggers/Pistols Thief and 2H Guardian. Warrior is pretty damned fun as well, the sheer amount of weaponry at your disposal is pretty awesome. I love how simple yet deep the crafting system is, I think the discovery stuff is genius. It will probably drive people used to WoW stuff a bit crazy.

You gotta dodge stuff

Yeah this can't be stated enough. I observed a lot of players in the headstart who just stood still as if this was WoW. You need to move around, use your disables/debuffs, use the environment and evade attacks. Enemies in PvE can KO your ass in no time flat once you get past the level 5ish stuff.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

51. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 27, 2012, 04:50 dj LiTh

There's some good posts and responses in this thread. Definitively sounds like a solid game with minor issues to overcome....now to overcome my own will to buy it....argh, still feeling the effects from the steam summer sale.  

50. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 20:33 Dades

It's not just pets, everyone and everything dies quickly. The game can be pretty punishing, you gotta dodge stuff a lot and pets don't do that.  

49. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 19:20 The Half Elf

Get a Hyena pet, their ability is to call a second Hyena in which is very helpful. Also don't forget as a Ranger your heal also heals your pet.

I am an official POI/Vista/Pet whore and loving it!

(especially the hidden Vista/Cave in Lion's Arch)

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

48. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 18:26 Agent.X7

Cutter wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 12:59:
Two downsides so far are ranger pets still die too easily too fast - at least at lower levels, so we'll see how that changes past 30 where it's supposed to. Low level mats for crafting are still major pain in the ass to find for anything outside of trees or metals.

Apart from that we now have several Bluesers in the guild so don't forget we're on Tarnished Coast, send Waxx a tell or email in-game for an invite.

Ya, started playing my Charr ranger and found that out quick. (I held off playing rangers and Charr in beta because I knew I wanted to play one in release.) My cat seems to be in need of a revive 90% of the time. I started ignoring him.

Have you had any issues taming new pets? I walked up to a bird, it gave me a tooltip to tame it, but nothing happened. Tried a few times and gave up.

I played a lot yesterday. (My employee ran the store while I gamed. Ah, that's the life.) I spent so much time exploring Divinity's Reach and crafting that I only hit 10 this morning. I'm so overpowered for the events and hearts in the surrounding area that it de-levels me, lol.

I'd say if there's any downside right now - for me - it's that there is so much to do I sometimes mentally lock up trying to decide. And then make an alt. And then lock up some more.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

47. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 13:44 Muscular Beaver

Sounds really nice, but an MMO in the middle of the summer? Nah thanks.
I will try it out in November for sure, though.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

46. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 12:59 Cutter

Two downsides so far are ranger pets still die too easily too fast - at least at lower levels, so we'll see how that changes past 30 where it's supposed to. Low level mats for crafting are still major pain in the ass to find for anything outside of trees or metals.

Apart from that we now have several Bluesers in the guild so don't forget we're on Tarnished Coast, send Waxx a tell or email in-game for an invite.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

45. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 12:18 Warskull

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 15:59:
Its deffinitely got me interested, but i'm holding off about a month until the newness wears off and the truth starts to trickle through. I'm hoping its still just as good as people are making it sound, and ill be picking it up then.

GW1 veteran here, it depends on what you are looking for.

PvE is superior to GW1. The world is very pretty and explorable, the exploration feels rewarding (full clearing an area gets you a treasure.) Quests are kind of weird, most of them are locational. If you enter a quest area it automatically pops up, when you leave the area it disappears. The problem is the game doesn't give much navigational help.

PvP has to be looked at by category.

I haven't got to play WvW yet, it has been having issues and I rolled on the GW1 players server. They gravitate towards other things.

PvP on the pub servers isn't very good, it is an 8v8 trainwreck. Too many players for the map, uninteresting in general. People tend to zerg the points. It is okay for learning the maps, but too many people makes a lot of things unviable.

Instant Tournament PvP is probably the best. The maps play way better in 5v5 and player quality is superior. It takes a bit more time to get matches though. It isn't a good at GW1 GvG, but it can still be interesting. You also don't need 5 people to play the tournament. You can solo queue and get into a random team. You just likely won't make it past round 2.

It doesn't live up to the hype because the hype is massive. However, it is above average. The PvE will probably make people who like generic MMO PvE happy. The PvP is probably on par with WoW.

44. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 11:35 Dades

My one beef is that its yet another MMO with a UI you can't customize. The UI is fantastic and I love 99% of it but it would be nice to move things around or change them a bit. You would figure since WOW introduced some client side scripting that others would get in on it but nope.  

43. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 09:59 MacLeod

Yifes wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 00:25:
An easy work around is to regroup at one of the capital cities. Any instance you enter as a group from then on should be the same, and you shouldn't have any problems as long as everyone sticks together.

Except that doesn't work either... I know because my wife and I zoned out of the city and we were in different instances. Pretty much the headstart has been worthless for us, because until we can play together, we're not playing.

42. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 08:40 wusel

Euro login servers were down for 5 hours yesterday afternoon, are down again right now. Overflow system doesn't work like intended (the option to join your party's server doesn't work, the party gets split over different servers all the time). Guild is completely bugged: our guild's founder doesn't have the guild in his menu anymore (we see him in the guild as leader), while other members can't represent the guild and the member progress isn't logged at all.

..the start could've been better!

edit: you can get GW2 baseball cap (town clothes) in the ingame shop for free

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2012, 09:22.

41. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 08:13 Saboth

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 21:00:
I dunno, new vistas, happy its not a bad launch, happy its NOT like GW1 which was AWESOME....i'm definitively going to be waiting a while for the real feedback and not the shiny new car smell that people arent use to

It could have been a better launch. I went to bed Friday with the intent of getting a good night's rest to get up early and play, and the login server was down. Apparently it was down 5-6 hours, but the message you get seems to make it seem like it's your firewall or computer settings. Thankfully I checked their updates on twitter and facebook before attempting to mess with my firewall/virus scan or I could have made things bad.

40. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 03:48 RollinThundr

Yifes wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 00:25:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 21:49:
Fion wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 21:46:
It's easy to join in a party, no matter if others are in offerflow or not. If your in different overflow instances or not, join group and right click on portrait and select 'join in'. You'll automatically be switched to the right 'server'.

Except it doesn't work and hasn't since 2am. Hence my frustration.

An easy work around is to regroup at one of the capital cities. Any instance you enter as a group from then on should be the same, and you shouldn't have any problems as long as everyone sticks together.

I'm also enjoying the game much more than during the beta. Now I'm taking my time exploring, doing the personal quest, and crafting, and the pacing is much better.

Also, I'm finding that the best moments I've had so far are those where its just my party of 3 taking on champions by ourselves; You really have to think and time your dodges rather than just mash your face into the keyboard as a part of a 30 man zergfest.

Enjoying it very much but the "Join Party" member thing is flat out broken currently. We had a hell of a time all afternoon and evening maintaining a 4 person party ending up in the same instance of a zone. Other than that however pure fun.

39. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 03:35 SM0k3

Gotta check this out, I loved GW1 and I have been looking for an experience like it since then. I'm going to invest in getting a copy soon as I finish D3.  

38. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 03:28 Paranoid Jack

I've been playing most of the day. Have a level 14 Sylvari Necro. Got in last night before the official launch time and the connection was up and down a lot but I was able to get several characters made with names I wanted. Today the server is solid. Solo playing mostly.

Loving the game. Blows my mind... the crafting gives you items that you can actually use and/or haven't yet out grown. Fun experimenting with items to create new recipes. Also love that I am spending most of my time just running around exploring, doing quests, joining in the dynamic events, and gathering crafting supplies.

Haven't jumped into WvWvW yet. Enjoyed it in beta. And know it will be even more addictive than the PvE I'm enjoying now. Worth every penny.

Best part of the game (besides exploring the awesome environments) has to be the way using different weapons change the profession so drastically. Having a hard time turning it off.

37. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 01:26 heroin

Played it all day long. Its awesome and definitely refreshing. Besides my one nitpick earlier the only other small gripe I have are jumping scenarios. The jumping sucks why have situations that demand jumping on to small beams? Other than that the personal story and the dynamic events have been a lot of fun and well done lots and lots to explore... time to hit the bong.  

36. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 00:48 Dades

It's not built like WOW, don't expect an endgame raiding setup. I keep telling my friends this because I don't want them to bum rush the leveling content then get upset in a month, it's not the usual subscription MMO with repetitive content that you're meant to do in perpetuity. They expect you to take breaks from the game, come back for more content, expansions and to pvp.  

35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 00:39 eunichron

I'm now in new territory I hadn't seen in beta, and the game is every bit as awesome as was expected. I only hope level 80 is as awesome as the leveling experience.  

34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 00:29 nin

An easy work around is to regroup at one of the capital cities.

I'm having flashbacks to GW1!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo