Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Metaverse

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 26, 2012, 06:58 Dev

nin wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 00:00:
large USB drives aren't that expensive anymore

They're not, but I've had some of the worst failure rates with those.

One could get a drobo or a similar device that lets you raid drives and connect to network or USB. They are super easy to work and easy to see when a drive goes back.

Incidentally, the high failure rate is one consequence of the floods in thailand that doubled and tripled hdd prices. Drives made since then seem to have higher failure rates.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 26, 2012, 00:00 nin

large USB drives aren't that expensive anymore

They're not, but I've had some of the worst failure rates with those.

I think I'm to the point now where I'm looking into cloud (encrypted uploads) + USB drive, just to cover my ass...amazon s3 looks reasonable (up to 100gig), and apparently allows ftp access (edit: let me rephrase that: certain ftp clients support s3).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 25, 2012, 23:42 Dev

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 15:56:
Since every company that holds any sort of personal information about you or have some of your files or data gets hacked these days, I think I will just store my data locally.
All local means you are vulnerable to on site disasters. If its important enough you need to have an off site backup.

4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 25, 2012, 18:25 SpectralMeat

Ant wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 17:14:
Since every company that holds any sort of personal information about you or have some of your files or data gets hacked these days, I think I will just store my data locally.
You could encrypt your data before uploading.
Meh still just another thing to worry about. Hard drives and large USB drives aren't that expensive anymore to just keep everything locally. Unless you really need to have access to your files over the net.

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 25, 2012, 18:24 Mordecai Walfish

50GB but 200MB max individual filesize. lol

knew there was a catch in there somewhere

2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 25, 2012, 17:14 Ant

You could encrypt your data before uploading.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 25, 2012, 15:56 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo