Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Armada Online Kickstarter

A new Kickstarter is underway for Armada Online, a science fiction-themed online action/RPG. If that sounds familiar, that's because this is revisiting a game announced seven years ago that has been operating in various forms since. They are looking to fund additional development for the game, and their goals include releasing the original into the public domain, re-writing it as a free PC game, and operating it out of the cloud. Here's word:

Armada Online is an action role-playing game, set in a colorful science fiction universe. You take command of a starship and battle hordes of biomechanical aliens. As you warp to different regions, you will engage in new challenges, such as summoning stations to defend against incoming waves, or fight in pvp arenas, or hunt elite aliens across star systems. Gain levels to allocate skill points, learn special skills, and customize your ship to take on more difficult challenges. An interesting thing about our game is that we started by making what is typically considered “the end game” and made it rewarding for players of different skill levels, so even in its present state, it is highly replayable and welcomes spontaneous/mixed groups with different play styles.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 25, 2012, 19:36 Charlie_Six

I really enjoyed the Dreamcast version. In that version, it was like an RPG version of Asteroids. But if I recall, the PC version is more about auto attacks.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 25, 2012, 19:34 Charlie_Six

The Dreamcast Armada was really fun  
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

20. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 25, 2012, 14:15 mark

If you were to play it, you would discover that you can level quickly, that leveling is relatively flat, and that AO has its own good points. Try it some time and tell me what you think.  

19. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 25, 2012, 13:43 eRe4s3r

I would if it weren't online only, but that's an absurd request... I just don't feel like investing the time required for an online game of this kind.. particularly when it has levels.. means 99.9% of the playerbase has levels ABOVE me ;p  

18. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 25, 2012, 13:39 eRe4s3r

Well I don't really want to bash a game developer needlessly but I honestly think this genre is beaten to death by over-saturation and under delivery. And with that I mean, I never got what the hype with SPAZ was about because that game was boring as hell, sure it was cute the first 30 or so levels but then you realize the game never actually changes for the better, things just get more skewed against you with no way to counter it. So yeah, I am not a fan of this entire genre of games (SHMUPS that is)  

17. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 25, 2012, 13:39 mark

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 12:06:
So it would seem, 12+ hours in 9 backers for $694.

You could always play it and decide for yourself.

16. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 25, 2012, 12:52 jamiedj99

its been in alpha dev for many many years mabey so long its almost hard to try and play it anymore. but it was fun for a long time.  

15. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 25, 2012, 12:06 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 23:31:
It's a shooter... I couldn't honestly say that I *want* to play this game.. so yeah.. I assume that goes for many others
So it would seem, 12+ hours in 9 backers for $694.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 25, 2012, 09:25 eRe4s3r

Then that just means the game is unknown to the masses ,p Might be a good thing, but I am long since over arcade multiplayer shoot-em ups with rpg elements.  

13. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 25, 2012, 06:40 LOC

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 05:48:
Then that is even worse, who want's to play an immersive story line with dozens of spam-bots, chinese farmers and assorted internet randomness in a game, or the chance for a random player to grief you into dieing?

Yeah...

Except the game has none of those things in it. There are zero spam bot (or bots of any kind), there are no farmers and as far as I know you can't grief very easily in the game either.

12. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 25, 2012, 05:48 eRe4s3r

Then that is even worse, who want's to play an immersive story line with dozens of spam-bots, chinese farmers and assorted internet randomness in a game, or the chance for a random player to grief you into dieing?

Yeah...

11. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 25, 2012, 03:30 mark

There will be a scripted storyline, but I get your point.  

10. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 25, 2012, 02:21 Jerykk

The biggest issue for me is that the game is multiplayer and that the missions are randomly generated. I find it difficult to immerse myself in a game world when I see other players in it and randomly generated missions tend to be generic and uninteresting. Sure, it allows for more missions but when those missions are all forgettable, it doesn't really matter. That's why SPAZ got boring.  

9. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 25, 2012, 01:56 mark

Starflight and Star Control 2 are definite influences, and guide our plans for the scope of the story.
Armada Online is an rpg. Ship guns autofire at your target, regardless of facing direction. Control and structure is most like War3, but locked to one unit (some can summon small craft, mechs, or stations). There is a large open exploration area where most of the story will take place called Delta 3, but also special mission zones like the Neutral Zone that plays like Dota, or The Burn which is multi tower defense.
Years ago when I discussed the issue with Paul Reiche, he said that the early use of spaceships in simple arcade games prejudiced some people against games like Star Control 2. Some people see spaceships and just assume it must be a shooter, and have no depth. "Make it more like WoW" is what we get.
It would be really cool if you tried Armada Online. There is a lot that is good about it.

8. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 24, 2012, 23:53 Jerykk

The initial description made me think this would be a spiritual successor to Star Control 2. Then I read more and watched the video.  

7. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 24, 2012, 23:31 eRe4s3r

a fast-paced, multiplayer, science fiction action RPG

It's a shooter... I couldn't honestly say that I *want* to play this game.. so yeah.. I assume that goes for many others

6. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 24, 2012, 22:44 Silicon Avatar

This sort of reminds me of Net Trek without the Trek - if anyone remembers that moldy oldie.  

5. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 24, 2012, 21:05 LOC

jdreyer wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 20:25:
This isn't really my kind of game, but the fact that these guys are so bad at marketing makes me think that they'll be good at making the game. What they have looks pretty solid already, and it sounds like they have a well laid plans of what they want to build out.

Has anyone played what they currently have?

I've been playing it off and on for years (they've been making it for like, 4 or 5 years now I think lol) and it's pretty fun actually. Recently they've started alot more work on it, but there just aren't many players sadly. Taking on giant insect space ships in some of zones is really cool and with some high level guys with you, makes for some explosiony goodness.

I'd say give it a try, it's a fairly small download (like, 120 megs or so) and pretty stable (last I played anyway) for an "alpha". I just hope they can FINISH the game at some point and officially launch it.

4. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 24, 2012, 20:25 jdreyer

This isn't really my kind of game, but the fact that these guys are so bad at marketing makes me think that they'll be good at making the game. What they have looks pretty solid already, and it sounds like they have a well laid plans of what they want to build out.

Has anyone played what they currently have?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Armada Online Kickstarter Aug 24, 2012, 19:07 Wildone

Someone make Freespace 3 already. Fukin 2d shooters...  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo