Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 18:31 Creston

nin wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 15:22:
Yep, old fuckers and children will love it. I wonder why?

Enjoy AOL8...

Bwahahahahahahahaaa.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 16:22 WarpCrow

I'm not sure what kind of point some people are trying to make. Because Windows 8 is designed for the computer illiterate, and they make up the 'average user' demographic, we shouldn't voice our objections to it? Nobody's saying Microsoft is making a bad business decision. We're saying that we don't like the steps they are taking towards the Apple walled garden approach because it might be bad for us in the long run. Seniors and some guy's mom are irrelevant to my concerns.  

34. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 16:19 Julio

nin wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 15:22:

Enjoy AOL8...

And they'll even love Win 9 better when the buttons are even bigger for them to see...

Win 9 will be even better

33. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 15:34 Dades

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 14:57:
I installed windows 8 on a local PC that seniors use. Guess what, they all loved it. It was far easier to use than their old XP. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it. For the average user, Windows 8 is better!

Oh right, your made up internet anecdote trumps any other thoughts, we forgot.

There is nothing wrong with the interface!

On a tablet.

32. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 15:22 nin

I think most of you are completely missing the point. There is nothing wrong with the interface! Get a life, accept that change is inevitable. It is a much better interface than prior windows interfaces.

I installed windows 8 on a local PC that seniors use. Guess what, they all loved it. It was far easier to use than their old XP. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it. For the average user, Windows 8 is better!.

So tired of people who can't step back and look at something like someone else might.

Enjoy AOL8...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 15:10 Julio

Get a life, accept that change is inevitable...

I installed windows 8 on a local PC that seniors use. Guess what, they all loved it...

So tired of people who can't step back and look at something like someone else might.

Guess what, I can accept that you and the seniors like it. But I don't. Sure change is inevitable - but I want change that is positive for me as a consumer. Windows 8 is not it. If Microsoft wants to go this way, they can. And I can go somewhere else for my OS. If all my PC is good for under Win 8 is web browsing, word processing and crap like Angry Birds then I might as well not have a windows PC.

I have no interest in a closed PC system, that's what my consoles are for.

30. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 14:57 Ozmodan

I think most of you are completely missing the point. There is nothing wrong with the interface! Get a life, accept that change is inevitable. It is a much better interface than prior windows interfaces.

I installed windows 8 on a local PC that seniors use. Guess what, they all loved it. It was far easier to use than their old XP. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it. For the average user, Windows 8 is better!.

29. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 14:36 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 13:56:
There is a large difference between Apple and Microsoft when it comes to OS market share though. I simply hope Microsoft will see the light and not try to wall of metro. Because then I would certainly not buy Windows 9 either.
If they were going to see the light, it would have been changed before release, after all the negativity about it came about, from both users and developers.

Metro is ALREADY WALLED OFF. The ONLY place to get metro apps will be from windows store, since they require signing to install, and only MS offers that signing. And then there's the BIOS changes MS has pushed which wall off the OS, and required a signed OS to be installed. Its quite clear the direction MS is going in.

28. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 13:56 eRe4s3r

There is a large difference between Apple and Microsoft when it comes to OS market share though. I simply hope Microsoft will see the light and not try to wall of metro. Because then I would certainly not buy Windows 9 either.  

27. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 13:52 eRe4s3r

Not sure they care, but if they want to pay repeated billion € fines then they can go ahead with this I guess.. and fines are only the first stage of violation punishments. The EU can bar microsoft from doing business in the EU, by keeping all money from sales of MS products in the EU "held hostage" until the violations are solved. And this will definitely get MS attention very quickly. Europe is a huge market  

26. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 13:02 Dades

Enahs wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 10:57:
Most of you do not seem to understand what the vast majority of people use computers for. Simple stuff. Web browsing, Word. Gaming for the masses are simple games ala Angry Birds. The vast majority of people just want their computer to work, and be easy to use.

I don't think they really wanted an inefficient tablet interface for PC use but we'll see.

That is what Windows 8 is. The small minority of internet nerds and journalists (relative to the major population) use the computer completely different then what the majority of the planet uses.

The idea that tech enthusiasts, IT workers and others don't matter is flawed. Those are the people who installed Windows XP for everyone who bitched about Windows Vista. They helped Mozilla and Chrome achieve significant market share. Word of mouth sways opinion as easily as traditional marketing these days thanks to the internet and many people just want to be told their best options rather than figuring it out for themselves.

25. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 12:46 Prez

Most of you do not seem to understand what the vast majority of people use computers for. Simple stuff. Web browsing, Word. Gaming for the masses are simple games ala Angry Birds. The vast majority of people just want their computer to work, and be easy to use.

Umm ... well, the topic of both articles IS Windows 8's performance as a gaming platform...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 11:56 Eirikrautha

You want to know why Windows 8 is bad for gaming? Observe:

The new Metro interface requires MS approval to register programs through it. It is also the most likely place a software developer will deploy its product (once Windows 8 becomes more widely used... especially if you want tablet compatibility). MS even tried to take non-Metro compiling out of Visual Studio Free.

So, when you have a developer who does a quick port (like, say, Namco), they will most likely port it as a Metro app. Meaning, say goodbye to your Dark Souls resolution hacks (as there is no way anyone will be able to jump through the hoops and expense to get that approved on the MS store!).

A closed shop means the DEATH of mods, hacks, and tweaks. It is the worst thing to happen to PC gaming in this century. Game, set, match...

23. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 11:52 nin

Microsoft IS giving the average consumer what they want and what they need.

Touchscreens?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 11:08 xXBatmanXx

Windows 8 Is Not Good For Gamers.

GASP! Say it aint so!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

21. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 10:57 Enahs

That is what Windows 8 is. The small minority of internet nerds and journalists (relative to the major population) use the computer completely different then what the majority of the planet uses.

Microsoft IS giving the average consumer what they want and what they need. You still have the ability to run 'legacy' software, and continue to make more complicated fancy software. So non typical users can still do what they want. Yes, there might be a change in interface going from one to the other. But at some point, you just have to decide to make a change and give people time to come to accept it.

There is a ton of negativity towards Windows 8 on the internet. And while most of it are totally valid points, they are irrelevant to the majority of users.

And if Windows 8 makes my mom stop asking me for some much help with her computer, then Windows 8 is successful in my book.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

20. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 10:04 Dev

Dades wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 01:27:
Since a few people brought up Apple, they won their shitty patent war. Unfuckingbelievable. The US patent system needs to be dissolved and redrawn.
Why would it surprise you that a jury of average people would decide that way? The average person knows what an iphone is, and has heard about apple products. The average person is not going to specifically know wtf samsung stuff is. In 9 people, there's likely to be at least one or two people who are apple fans and own their products. They would certainly do their earnest best to convince the jury apple is the best and could do no wrong.

Unless its super obvious, apple is likely to win any jury trials regarding their technology.
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 09:31:
You can count the days till Microsoft is sued to Mars and back by the EU then and fined in volumes that make the Apple/Samsung lawsuit look like child's play.
Why would you think they care? They didn't change behavior much with the previous billion fine, and the fines since then.
They lost $4 BILLION on entering the console market (xbox 1 sales, combined with all xbox 1 game profits). They shrugged it off and came back with xbox 360.
Why would fines like that bother them in any way? They make more pure cash profit in a single quarter. They will look at it as the price of doing business to get a stranglehold on controlling and getting cuts of far more billions in the windows software market.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2012, 10:44.

19. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 09:38 Dades

I doubt the EU will do anything at all. MS is doing it right now, you can't distribute desktop apps at all on the store. You can have a link that goes offsite, thats it. The EU can't stop them with the threat of fines that are heavily outweighed by the profits derived from the behavior. Apple is doing this stuff and worse with their app store and they have a near monopoly in some regions. This walled garden bullshit is where the future is headed, we'd be there already if MS didn't have to worry about upsetting their meal ticket corporate customers who need compatibility.  

18. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 09:31 eRe4s3r

You can count the days till Microsoft is sued to Mars and back by the EU then and fined in volumes that make the Apple/Samsung lawsuit look like child's play. Unlike Apple, Microsoft is a monopoly. And if they truly do that, then they are breaking several monopoly laws. Simply because stores for the desktop HAVE to be given equal exposure, and no Microsoft Store is allowed to be stuck in your face or give preference to MS products at boot or in Metro. This is actually a clear violation of the previous settlement Microsoft signed. So I highly doubt they are gonna do that. Fines are the lowest level of weaponry the EU watch dogs can throw at MS, and MS is already on their watch list. So i kinda hope they do anyway, because Ballmer needs another wake up call apparently.  

17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 09:25 Dades

Prez wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 05:33:
Seriously, I can't for the life of me understand how I'm supposed to buy that Valve and Blizzard are going to be afraid about Microsoft elbowing in on their territory as the author seems to insinuate. Why in the hell would any PC gaming company be afraid of Microsoft when every last "effort" (if it can even be called that) MS has made in the PC gaming space has been a disaster or a joke?

Is it the control that Microsoft will have? Maybe, but I am reading that the author thinks that Gabe Newell is lashing out because he feels threatened by MS as a competitor, which is just laughable.

You're not looking at the big picture. They will control:

- API
- the distribution chain
- exposure in OS
- approval/denial rights

Desktop and desktop apps are now going to be hidden away. You can't manage them from Metro and vice versa. The desktop is going to become legacy code, only preserved to keep corporate customers happy. They already tried to shut desktop apps out of the store and it took a monumental effort to get them to concede to allow a website link for them.

If Microsoft didn't have plans for these things, metro would be truly optional. They are building for a new generation and one only needs to look at Xbox Live or the Apple App store to see what the end game is.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo