Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dark Souls Resolution Hack

NeoGAF has version 0.3 of an "internal rendering resolution fix" for the just-released PC Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition. This mod addresses the PC ports fixed rendering resolution of 1024x720by intercepting the calls to the DirectX 9 API, and this has apparently been a big success for something whipped up so quickly. Thanks games.on.net via VG247.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 16:12 killer_roach

Jivaro wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 16:01:
Am I the only one that wishes they had worked more on polishing the PC port rather then shoehorning some content in? I mean, if I am making the decisions, it would seem to me that you would be doing the game, the franchise, and your company a favor both in sales and in terms of long term reputation to manage your limited resources in a way that puts everything in the best possible light. Personally, I think that would have been to simply port the original game correctly rather then trying to add some limited additional content. People aren't buying this on PC because they expect a different game, they are expecting the same game except on a more capable platform. What good is it to release a half-assed port that doesn't take advantage of the platform? Now you have succeeded in nothing positive. Poor design choice, limited resources or not, imo.

It's not exactly easy to polish a PC port when a studio has no experience doing anything for PC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 16:01 Jivaro

Am I the only one that wishes they had worked more on polishing the PC port rather then shoehorning some content in? I mean, if I am making the decisions, it would seem to me that you would be doing the game, the franchise, and your company a favor both in sales and in terms of long term reputation to manage your limited resources in a way that puts everything in the best possible light. Personally, I think that would have been to simply port the original game correctly rather then trying to add some limited additional content. People aren't buying this on PC because they expect a different game, they are expecting the same game except on a more capable platform. What good is it to release a half-assed port that doesn't take advantage of the platform? Now you have succeeded in nothing positive. Poor design choice, limited resources or not, imo.  

16. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 14:57 Mordecai Walfish

They should cobble together all of the patches that gamers are making for their newly released game, and release "Dark Souls: PC Edition" next. heheh I'm sure those involved would be happy just to be acknowledged in the credits, even =)  

15. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 14:50 PHJF

Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 14:43:
I don't want to totally hijack the Dark Souls thread so check out the Blues GW2 thread thingie.

Ormstein and Smaugh

It's weird, so many people had problems with them but my big beef was with 4 Kings who kept glitching out and fucking me up. I think maybe its because I didn't care about the kill order on O&S.

I was insistent on killing the fat guy first and the other dude was fucking hard as fucking shit in his next form.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 14:43 Verno

I don't want to totally hijack the Dark Souls thread so check out the Blues GW2 thread thingie.

Ormstein and Smaugh

It's weird, so many people had problems with them but my big beef was with 4 Kings who kept glitching out and fucking me up. I think maybe its because I didn't care about the kill order on O&S. Also the wolf with the sword was a total bastard (not to mention utterly terrifying) until they nerfed him in one of the patches.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2012, 14:52.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

13. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 14:39 Darks

Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 13:46:
Darks wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 13:35:
Verno, how are you playing GW 2? Itís not even out yet. Not until later tonight. Your sig is wrong bro.

I update my sig once or twice a week duder, I just did it ahead of time knowing I'd be playing tonight at some point

Also it's going to start 3 hours early (supposedly) so I'll be playing it shortly

What server are you going to be on? Maybe we can hook up in game at some point?

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

12. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 14:35 PropheT

entr0py wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 14:25:
And, is Namco planning to actually support it with official patches? Or did they just decide to cut their losses, release it unfinished, and move on?

I don't think they were cutting their losses at all, I just don't think they had any kind of budget or team to really work on it any more than getting a PC version out the door. I'm surprised (but happy) it actually made it to PC at all.

It did look pretty rough without this fix/hack, at least on a high res monitor. With it, though, and with a steady framerate...I'm really happy with it. Gwyn and Orenstein and Smaugh gave me a really hard time on the console version so I'm dreading those a bit, but I'm really curious to see if the new bosses stomp me hard. Or if some of the glitches with other bosses like the Ceaseless Discharge still work on PC...

11. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 14:25 entr0py

And, is Namco planning to actually support it with official patches? Or did they just decide to cut their losses, release it unfinished, and move on?  

10. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 14:04 saluk

FIXED 1024x720 RESOLUTION? BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  

9. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 13:46 Verno

Darks wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 13:35:
Verno, how are you playing GW 2? Itís not even out yet. Not until later tonight. Your sig is wrong bro.

I update my sig once or twice a week duder, I just did it ahead of time knowing I'd be playing tonight at some point

Also it's going to start 3 hours early (supposedly) so I'll be playing it shortly

I sort of did the same thing with Demons Souls (in the Swamp). I'll get back to it eventually and play the hell out of it...but apparently not on PC.

The swamp was truly godawful, I'm with you on that one man. I didn't even bother to get all of the items because it was such a pain and I'm a pretty crazy completionist. The trick I find with the Souls games is to goof around and not take it too seriously otherwise they can be extremely frustrating when you get that run of bad luck.

8. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 13:38 linfosoma

Im going to say it: I fracking love this game. Yes, you HAVE to play it with a gamepad and need to use a mod to play it at a custom resolution, but once you get past that it's so enjoyable.
Really challenging with smart, fun combat and the level designs are really good.

All and all, playing it with the resolution hack and a pad it doesnt really feel like such a bad port as everybody is making it out to be.

7. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 13:35 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

6. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 13:14 mch

Heh that's the point I'm stuck at. I'm sure I'll pick it back up and get through it, but man did that place piss me off.

I sort of did the same thing with Demons Souls (in the Swamp). I'll get back to it eventually and play the hell out of it...but apparently not on PC.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2012, 13:19.

PSN: CaseDesignate

5. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 12:50 Verno

mch wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 12:40:
I read that the original problems with fps in Blighttown was due to enemy pathing issues. I thought they actually improved it on consoles with a patch?

Blighttown was a little slow for me, but not as horrible as some of the stories I heard. Maybe I didn't aggro the enemies on lower levels as much, and have to deal with them trying to find a way up to me.

PS fuck Sen's Fortress

I haven't played it in a few months so no clue. But dude Sen's Fortress was the bomb! Some of the most hilarious death moments due to the traps.

4. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 12:40 mch

I read that the original problems with fps in Blighttown was due to enemy pathing issues. I thought they actually improved it on consoles with a patch?

Blighttown was a little slow for me, but not as horrible as some of the stories I heard. Maybe I didn't aggro the enemies on lower levels as much, and have to deal with them trying to find a way up to me.

PS fuck Sen's Fortress

PSN: CaseDesignate

3. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 12:36 Elessar

Makes you wonder why they didn't just bake this into the game. Looking forward to trying it.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

2. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 12:24 Verno

It'll be interesting to see if Blighttown is really fixed, I don't really trust the press to understand the framerate issues there given how many of them don't even seem to complete the games they are reviewing these days.  

1. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 11:31 Reactor

Maybe it's because I'm not a resolution whore, but I don't mind the graphics when scaled to the equivalent of 1680. The game looks decent enough. That said, it's nice to have this hack.

Now all the game needs is the downright horrid mouse movement fixered (for those without a pad), and some heavy keyboard remapping.

EDIT: And I suppose if possible the 30fps limit. But, even that's fine. It's just the odd moment of slowdown that makes it seem worse than it really is.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo