Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dark Souls Resolution Hack

NeoGAF has version 0.3 of an "internal rendering resolution fix" for the just-released PC Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition. This mod addresses the PC ports fixed rendering resolution of 1024x720by intercepting the calls to the DirectX 9 API, and this has apparently been a big success for something whipped up so quickly. Thanks games.on.net via VG247.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 28, 2012, 18:14 Mordecai Walfish

I helped a buddy get this patched up and running well over the weekend, and played a bit too.

Graphics look really good with the patch and some Nvidia control panel tweaks applied.

KB/M is not a good way to play this game, as it was designed around a gamepad. We played with both the PS3 and 360 controller and the 360 was better for this (the PS3 controller usually is best in fighting games and older GTA's.. oh and katamari on the ps2 emu =), delivering excellent response time with vsync on or off (we were using a 120hz monitor so this is probably why)

It's utterly sad that Namco/Bandai could not pull their panties up and give the world a proper PC version of this game, especially when I've seen first hand how easy this is to accomplish. Yes there are some issues with static graphics like logos, but I've only noticed them during the intro.

The game itself runs perfectly well and is quite fun.. which makes it terribly hard to not purchase.. but I just cannot justify supporting companies that would make PC gamers jump through these hurdles just to make their game appear as if it was released in the past 5 years. It is incompetent and I feel they should not be rewarded for this kind of effort, even if the original product was/is really good. I will be happy with playing something on my backlog from steam until it hits bargain bin prices, and maybe create a character over at my buddy's house some night when I lose early in a game of Catan or KingsBurg.

If you want to know the AA bits to enable for antialiasing for Nvidia cards and also Ambient Occlusion, the information is on page 56 of the NeoGaf thread, just be careful to not go overboard with the settings like the poster does, heheh.. truly the "PC Master Race" at work.

I find 4xMSAA and the Skyrim AO settings worked best for a GTX-480... the Fallout 3 AO bits will give you graphical glitches, like the AO effect popping on and off, but it is more pronounced.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 26, 2012, 09:06 netnerd85

Jerykk wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 06:24:
Namco ultimately decides whether or not a game gets patched because they fund development of said patches. If Namco really cared about the quality of the port, they could have easily outsourced its development to a team with PC experience. However, it looks like they put very little funding into the whole thing. Keep in mind that they were well aware of the community's complaints before the game was even released. They could have delayed the port to allow time for improvements but chose not to.
Of course, but to expect a bunch of suits to care about a computer game is just not going to happen. What they care about is profit. We can talk about what they should have done all day and I completely agree with you. The state of some of the ports these days is just down right pathetic, this would have to be one of the worst I have seen so far but I haven't seen them all. I do think though, we may just get a patch. The game has scored well and seems to have a lot of interest. It's not the first time a game has been pushed out before it was ready - seems to be the go to thing to do these days!

36. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 26, 2012, 06:24 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 26, 2012, 03:43:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 19:41:
I hope Namco patches this hack into the actual game (or at least does a proper fix). But they probably won't patch the game. Ever.
I think you might be wrong here. It's probably more up to From Software's ability to actually patch the game rather than Namco's willingness to support the development of a patch. The game has created Buzz - suppose it comes down to $$$.

Namco ultimately decides whether or not a game gets patched because they fund development of said patches. If Namco really cared about the quality of the port, they could have easily outsourced its development to a team with PC experience. However, it looks like they put very little funding into the whole thing. Keep in mind that they were well aware of the community's complaints before the game was even released. They could have delayed the port to allow time for improvements but chose not to.

35. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 26, 2012, 03:43 netnerd85

Jerykk wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 19:41:
I hope Namco patches this hack into the actual game (or at least does a proper fix). But they probably won't patch the game. Ever.
I think you might be wrong here. It's probably more up to From Software's ability to actually patch the game rather than Namco's willingness to support the development of a patch. The game has created Buzz - suppose it comes down to $$$.

34. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 25, 2012, 19:41 Jerykk

33. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 25, 2012, 15:23 netnerd85

Just played some of the vanilla game and it doesn't look that bad actually, will apply the patch tomorrow and have another go. The combat seems rather good. I went with a Bandit character, axe and shield combo.  

32. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 25, 2012, 14:28 D4rkKnight

Version 0.4 is out - fixes DoF. Game looks phenomenal btw - much better then its console counterparts  

31. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 25, 2012, 06:50 netnerd85

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 06:35:
netnerd85 wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 03:13:
I already have a 360 gamepad.
I'd like to take a wooden mallet and hammer that gamepad down your throat until you choke on your own gore
3 months ago I would have agreed, but seriously, the controller was great to use with Blades of Time (adventure/fighting game). It fits in your hands really devilishly well - much better than the pathetic Playstation controller (always hated that damn thing) and on par with the n64 controller - if not... more... so. I wouldn't use it with a shooter (OBVIOUSLY!!!). KB/M are defaults but some games like fighting games are best played on other platforms or with other controllers.

30. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 25, 2012, 06:35 Dmitri_M

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 03:13:
I already have a 360 gamepad.
I'd like to take a wooden mallet and hammer that gamepad down your throat until you choke on your own gore

29. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 25, 2012, 03:13 netnerd85

The game looks interesting, I don't have it but might get it soon. I already have a 360 gamepad.

Creston wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 21:51:
Developer claims it's impossible to get the game to run in anything but 720p.
Where do they say that?

Amateurs on the web get the game to run in better resolutions in approximately 0.04 hours.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470636
I did not do the entire work for this in 23 minutes. I developed an interception dll framework during this week to prepare for the job. I did the actual work to make the game render at higher res in that amount of time though -- based on the framework -- and spent a few more hours testing and adding the config file.

Please refrain from disrespectful remarks like "lol Japanese development". There are plenty of Japanese developers that deliver technically excellent PC games

So, that's a big incorrect there Creston.

Conclusion: Devs are a bunch of utter liars / incompetent morons. (*)

(*) please pick one.

Creston
Conclusion: Creston is full of sh*t and a complete liar and an incompetent moron.

28. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 25, 2012, 02:25 Jerykk

I'm guessing they locked the internal resolution for one (or all) of the following reasons:

1) The UI was designed for 1024x720 and doesn't scale nicely.
2) The game is poorly optimized and the devs didn't have faith that they could maintain performance at higher resolutions.
3) They didn't have the QA budget to do resolution testing. By limiting the resolution and framerate to that of the console versions, they probably figured that would reduce the amount of testing required.

27. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 25, 2012, 00:25 eRe4s3r

Incompetent is what it is. The PC, particularly Direct X have calls that set internal and external resolution. You set it what you want it to be, and that's it. External DLL's can intercept these calls of course, but normally that's never needed, because there is no realistic way any developer HARDCODES resolutions in a PC game. The internal/external resolution is usually read by variable (from game settings) or Desktop Resolution.

So basically, they hardcoded the internal resolution instead of making a variable linked to the game options despite them having made a variable to set the external resolution (Which goes against anything DX API tells you). You have to do that by choice, it doesn't happen accidentally.

26. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 23:21 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 17:46:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 16:01:
Am I the only one that wishes they had worked more on polishing the PC port rather then shoehorning some content in? I mean, if I am making the decisions, it would seem to me that you would be doing the game, the franchise, and your company a favor both in sales and in terms of long term reputation to manage your limited resources in a way that puts everything in the best possible light. Personally, I think that would have been to simply port the original game correctly rather then trying to add some limited additional content. People aren't buying this on PC because they expect a different game, they are expecting the same game except on a more capable platform. What good is it to release a half-assed port that doesn't take advantage of the platform? Now you have succeeded in nothing positive. Poor design choice, limited resources or not, imo.

Of course it would have been better for them to polish it up more, but you have to give them credit for porting it to PC at all. The only reason they did so is because of interest from the community, including that petition that got near 100k signatures. They were making the DLC anyway, and probably decided it would make for a nice little bonus at no cost to them...

You act like the port is an act of charity or something. Namco decided to do the port, not From Software. Namco is the publisher and owns the Dark Souls IP. They make all business decisions regarding it. They decided to do the port because they believed it would be profitable. That's all. If they didn't think it would be profitable, they wouldn't have done it. It's that simple.

The shitty state of the port is no doubt a result of Namco's lack of experience in the PC market. They didn't seem to realize that PC gamers don't like upscaling or framerate caps. That, or they didn't think the port would be profitable enough to justify spending more on a quality port.

25. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 22:42 Jivaro

killer_roach wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 16:12:
It's not exactly easy to polish a PC port when a studio has no experience doing anything for PC.

As someone else said, outsource it then. Do it right, or don't do it at all. I don't care how many people petition for it. If you are going to do it because the fans wanted it, then you should probably turn out something that those fans will at least want to pay 40 bucks for.

24. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 22:40 Jivaro

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 17:46:
Of course it would have been better for them to polish it up more, but you have to give them credit for porting it to PC at all. The only reason they did so is because of interest from the community, including that petition that got near 100k signatures. They were making the DLC anyway, and probably decided it would make for a nice little bonus at no cost to them...

No, I don't have to give them credit for anything. Do it right, or don't do it at all. If you are okay with paying for crap that is your gig, I am most certainly not. Forty bucks for this? More like 10 or less at the next holiday Steam sale.

23. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 21:51 Creston

Developer claims it's impossible to get the game to run in anything but 720p.

Amateurs on the web get the game to run in better resolutions in approximately 0.04 hours.

Conclusion: Devs are a bunch of utter liars / incompetent morons. (*)

(*) please pick one.

Creston

22. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 18:18 NegaDeath

I think I'll pick it up once the mods mature just a little bit more, this type of game is right up my alley. I don't want to support poor pc efforts but it isn't like these guys have a history of trashing the platform *coughubisoftcough*, I'll give them a break this one time.  

21. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 17:57 LittleMe

killer_roach wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 16:12:
It's not exactly easy to polish a PC port when a studio has no experience doing anything for PC.

Yes this is why companies outsource things they can't do internally as well or at all.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

20. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 17:46 jacobvandy

Jivaro wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 16:01:
Am I the only one that wishes they had worked more on polishing the PC port rather then shoehorning some content in? I mean, if I am making the decisions, it would seem to me that you would be doing the game, the franchise, and your company a favor both in sales and in terms of long term reputation to manage your limited resources in a way that puts everything in the best possible light. Personally, I think that would have been to simply port the original game correctly rather then trying to add some limited additional content. People aren't buying this on PC because they expect a different game, they are expecting the same game except on a more capable platform. What good is it to release a half-assed port that doesn't take advantage of the platform? Now you have succeeded in nothing positive. Poor design choice, limited resources or not, imo.

19. Re: Dark Souls Resolution Hack Aug 24, 2012, 17:05 Omni

I just raged quit because of the fucking laggy/grid like camera it so fucking annoying I love the game play but the camera is just killing it.
I pray they fix that but they properly can't....

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo