Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition

Steam News announces the release of Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition. the PC version of FromSoftware's action/RPG. Word is:

Prepare for a new, mysterious story, centered around the the world of Lodran, but most of all, prepare to die. You will face countless murderous traps, countless darkly grotesque mobs and several gargantuan, supremely powerful demons and dragons bosses. You must learn from death to persist through this unforgiving world. And you arenít alone.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition will include an untold chapter in the world of Lordran where the player must stop the spread of darkness at all costs by facing and defeating the Dark Knight Artorias.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 09:48 Mordecai Walfish

This game(PC version) has a special place on the "Games/Ports I will never pay money for/Buy a console for these games!" list. It looks like alot of fun, but I can wait and enjoy what I have currently, just the same ^_^

I just can't support garbage like this, as it is. Let's hope it gets patched soon, so people dont have to use $90 peripherals to get mouse control working properly and day1 unofficial patches to change the resolution. lol what a mess.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 09:44 Verno

nin wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 07:45:
Someone either doesn't understand PC Gamers, or didn't care. Disgraceful.

I'm pretty sure they said before it was going to be a bare bones port..

Points for honesty but that doesn't make it ok. This is about as barebones a port as they come.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

22. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 09:43 wtf_man

Overon wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 08:51:
I'm sure so will the support be "bare bones" aka not at all.

True... but that is why I have zero interest in this.

If I wanted to use a fucking console gamepad... I'd buy a fucking console.
Since I can't stand using gamepads, that is why I do not own a console.

When Kinect works by letting me just move my middle finger around... I'll buy a console.

21. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 08:51 Overon

nin wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 07:45:

I'm pretty sure they said before it was going to be a bare bones port...

I'm sure so will the support be "bare bones" aka not at all.

20. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 07:45 nin

I'm pretty sure they said before it was going to be a bare bones port...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 07:45 El Pit

Overon wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 07:11:
Frame rate capped at 30 fps.
On screen button labels use xbox 360 controller labels (Press a button) even if you don't have an xbox 360 controller plugged in.
Internal rendering resolution is 720P.
Games for Windows Live shit.

This makes this as much a pc edition as the new Black Isle is really Black Isle.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 07:11 Overon

Frame rate capped at 30 fps.
On screen button labels use xbox 360 controller labels (Press a button) even if you don't have an xbox 360 controller plugged in.
Internal rendering resolution is 720P.
Games for Windows Live shit.

Prediction: PC gamers are going to bitch, sales are going to be less than expected, piracy will be blamed. However judging from the low amount of resources put into the game given the issues above, maybe it will still be profitable and worth it for the developer/publisher.

17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 07:08 Dades

Jerykk wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 22:55:
Terrible port. Render resolution is locked at 1024x720 (it just upscales to your selected screen resolution and looks like a blurry mess) and the framerate is capped at 30.

Thankfully, someone has already created a hack that lets you set the render resolution: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240

Unfortunately, the framerate is still capped at 30.

Confirmed, this is the laziest port I've ever seen. Make code x86 and sure it runs, ok ship it!

16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 05:42 cronik

It's out bitches!!!  

15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 03:12 born2expire

Even with a 360 gamepad this game still suffers from so many terrible deal breaking problems. Input lag is horrendous in this, let alone being frame capped at 30, and the mouse pointer is on screen the entire time.

Hopefully the modding community can save this title, but i wouldn't hold my breathe.

14. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 02:06 jacobvandy

Supposedly if you set it to 720 vertical resolution, that fixes the text, so apparently their fonts are hardcoded there, too. Instead of doing straight 1080p or whatever your monitor supports, you do 1920x720. Maybe a multiple of that would work for higher resolutions (2560x1440 or whatever). You'll get black bars and/or some stretching, but that could be a small price to pay in exchange for the better visuals.

I'm in no hurry to play the game again with so many others I haven't tried already on PS3 looming on the horizon. Maybe by the time I pick it up during the Steam Holiday Sale they will have some better fixes and/or tools, if the game isn't officially patched by then.

13. M&K fix solution Aug 24, 2012, 01:42 LittleMe

Here's a post on NFOhump forums on a M&K solution:

If anyone wants to play this game with a M&K and hates how "jittery" the controls feel... if you buy an XIM Edge ($89) and connect it between your mouse and PC it completely fixes mouselook.

Here is my setup:

PC <- XIM Edge Port 1 <- 360 Pad (required for XIM security)
PC <- XIM Edge Port 2 <- Mouse
PC <- XIM Edge Port 3 <- NA
PC <- Keyboard

I know it's a wild setup but it does give you nearly perfect mouse controls in game. So there you have it. Dark Souls PC with with internal HD resolution and functional M&K support.

Irony.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 01:00 PHJF

I'm not having any issues with the HD fix installed - of course the messages cant be read but hes working on that and luckily I know the game so they don't matter much.

PRAISE THE SUN!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 00:49 D4rkKnight

Fair warning, the game requires a gamepad, use an xbox or ps3 controller. Again - REQUIRES A GAMEPAD - it shouldn't even work without one but they were stupid enough to half ass it and let you try.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done great in K&M, plenty of other games show it could. Fact is, it doesn't work that way atm - don't torture yourself trying.

10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 00:36 Frijoles

Well, I knew going in to this that it was going to be horrible port. And they certainly delivered on that front. I haven't tried the HD fix yet. I have a controller, so I may use that. I wish I could use a keyboard, but since the mouse isn't locked to the game, I end up clicking off screen and the game minimizes.

I think I'll let it sit in the oven a bit longer while I play GW2 and hope more mods come out.

9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 00:26 D4rkKnight

I'm not having any issues with the HD fix installed - of course the messages cant be read but hes working on that and luckily I know the game so they don't matter much.

Runs smooth so far, everyone wants to see the "blighttown test", so that will be interesting, but so far no problems with performance and the controls work great with ps3 controller.

8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 00:24 ASeven

I wanted to buy Dark Souls on the PC but when I heard how poor the port was going to be I decided not to buy it. I don't want to give money to this and encourage more devs to think that doing the minimal amount of work and being shitty at it is the right thing to do.

Great game but the horrid job of a port just kills any interest I had on it.

7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 00:20 LittleMe

Seems very strange they didn't just outsource the PC port. I'll buy it, eventually.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 24, 2012, 00:05 Jerykk

Aero wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 23:07:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 22:55:
Terrible port. Render resolution is locked at 1024x720...

Wow, that's far and away the worst example I've ever heard of when it comes to half-assing a PC port... particularly when some random guy sorts it out for them within hours of the release.

I don't know if it's the worst PC port ever. RE4 still holds that title. The initial release had no lighting effects or mouse support. They eventually patched in the lighting effects but not mouse support.

5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Aug 23, 2012, 23:54 Icewind

Watching the forums is some of the best fun I've had this week. I love seeing white knights defend and rationalize the piss poor decisions the developers made with this shoddy port as much as I enjoy idiots that never read the news act shocked when they realize it was half-assed garbage.  

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo