Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads

The countdown timer on the Guild Wars 2 Website is ticking off the minute to the launch of the MMORPG sequel, showing the game's early access period will begin in under 48 hours. This post has details on how players of the original Guild Wars can claim their "Hall of Monuments" rewards in the new game. To avoid confusion of how the head start and launch will work, ArenaNet provides the following schedule:

The information below will give you specific details about times and dates based on whether you pre-purchased, pre-ordered, or are picking up a copy of the game on release day. For those players who have not pre-purchased or pre-ordered the game, Guild Wars 2 will officially launch at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 28th.

• Pre-Purchase with 3-Day Headstart: Everyone who pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 will enjoy three full days of Headstart Access. The three-day Headstart Access will officially begin at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 25th. However, please note that in order to ensure we’re fully prepared for that fateful hour we may bring servers online up to 3 hours prior. If you’re a player committed to getting in first to grab that character name of your dreams you’ll want to be keeping an eye on things during that time period.
  • Pre-Order with 1-Day Headstart: Those who pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 will be able to participate in one day of Headstart Access. The one-day Headstart Access will begin at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 27th. NOTE - Pre-Order code registration is now enabled.

Download the Client today: If you’ve registered your pre-purchase or pre-order and created your Guild Wars 2 account you can go to account management today and download the client. Be sure to update the client periodically to minimize your download at launch. We look forward to seeing you in-game very soon!

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

39. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 17:03 Yakubs

Despoiler wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 16:40:
The X hours thing isn't because of the reason you say, it's because the game is easy while you are learning.

Sorry, but hard != good, hard != interesting, hard != depth, necessarily. You seem to have read my post with enough interest to reply to it yet did not bother to understand the underlying point of it.

Is it really a surprise that you found things to like about the game after sinking, what, 50? 100+ hours into it? And you spent this amount of time on a beta version where your characters aren't even saved! Sorry, bud, but the only thing "measurable" is the fact that you're a biased fan.

I'm sure if you ask someone who spent 100+ hours cutting themselves with razor blades, they'd easily be able to tell you all about why they enjoy it. Still a shit thing to spend your time on.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 17:02 Angrius Maximis

Stress test going on right now, just FYI  

37. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 17:01 The Half Elf

I'd like to know as well

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

36. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 16:44 Blegvad

Blues folks going to a particular server?  

35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 16:40 Despoiler

Yakubs wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 16:35:
Despoiler wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 16:31:
The problem isn't the game it's that you are a low skill cap player. Sorry, but your post is littered with "your doing it wrong" and "that is just plain ignorrant." I'm going to guess you didn't even make it past level 20.

Ad hominem for the loss. And, sorry, but arguments revolving around how it gets better after X hours don't work for me. That's a classic example of selection bias. Of course if you sunk 20 hours into the game over the course of one weekend you're someone who likes it.

Lol ad hominem my arse. The stuff you are saying in your post proves that you are low skill cap and factually uninformed ie ignorant. Those are measurable and as such cannot be ad hominem.

The X hours thing isn't because of the reason you say, it's because the game is easy while you are learning. For example, your comments "this game has a rotation" and "you still are looking at your UI" work from about level 25 on. If you are using a set rotation you are dead. If you are staring at your UI you are dead.

I didn't tackle your individual premises because you have so many that are flat wrong, my counter-post would have been gigantic.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2012, 16:50.

34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 16:35 Yakubs

Despoiler wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 16:31:
The problem isn't the game it's that you are a low skill cap player. Sorry, but your post is littered with "your doing it wrong" and "that is just plain ignorrant." I'm going to guess you didn't even make it past level 20.

Ad hominem for the loss. And, sorry, but arguments revolving around how it gets better after X hours don't work for me. That's a classic example of selection bias. Of course if you sunk 20 hours into the game over the course of one weekend you're someone who likes it.

33. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 16:31 Despoiler

Yakubs wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 15:36:
I think people who claim the combat is a massive improvement over WoW and the like are high/delusional. It's very similar. You DO click on your target and use a skill rotation. Yeah, you can dodge around too but, sorry, that's not interesting. That's a twitch mechanic. Yes, there is no dedicated healer which can be good but it doesn't change the fact that you're playing a mini-game revolving around cooldown management where in many cases you spend more time staring at the interface than the game world.

The skill system is lame too. When I hit level 5 and saw that I was now able to pick from a list of 15 skills, I was happy. Then I read the description of each skill and facepalmed. Half of them are clearly useless except MAYBE in rare situations, the other half are simple variations of skills you already have. Every class has like 100 skills and they're all a variation of: Do X damage and/or apply Y status effect.

This ad-hoc party-based system is interesting in theory but in their execution it's kind of dumb. It's not so much an ad-hoc party system, rather it's an ad-hoc ARMY system. An event appears on the map and suddenly you're just a face in the crowd as 100 players all swarm a single giant enemy or a group of enemies and proceed to spam everything they've got.

If "apply Y status effect" skills aren't boring enough, they're even further devalued by the fact that you're debuffing an enemy along with 100 other people. The list of debuffs on each monster is so long you can't even see them all and you certainly have no earthly clue if you contributed anything at all to the fight, beyond the fact that you just spent 5 minutes pounding your keyboard and particle effects were emitted from your avatar.

PvP is standard fare for these games. The only "innovation" is that you're increased to max level and given top-level gear upon joining the fight. Which is terrible because any attachment you had to your character is now completely gone. Now you're just playing a multiplayer action game with classes, like Team Fortress 2 or something, not an MMORPG.

32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 16:18 Despoiler

Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 15:52:
You know, I haven't even touched the RvR stuff yet. Who has? How is it? I'll get in there sooner or later but I've really jut dug exploring the world so far. This is a great game for explorers.

Their RvR, WvW is brilliant. It's basically DAoC evolved. DAoC being the gold standard for conquest based PvP. First, you are fighting against other servers. You are not fighting against other factions on your server. This continues the cooperative theme of this game and solves the faction imbalance issues that plagued games like WoW, WAR, and Aion. Everyone from a solo player, a group, or a zerg guild can contribute. There are objectives for everything. Massive keeps are the goal. They can be upgraded with seige weapons (attackers can also build them), bigger walls, more guards, burning oil, etc. However, to build and maintain that you need supply. Supply caravans leave from supply outposts. Supply outposts can be upgraded like keeps with more supply town guards, supply caravan guards, etc. The caravans can be attacked and killed and the supply camps captured. There are also orbs of power you can capture to further enhance your side with buffs. The reason you do this is a) to compete ladder style vs other servers, but winning means server wide buffs to help everyone. FORTUNE AND GLORY!! As there are different objectives that take different amounts of people to accomplish, the tactical options are infinite. This isn't like WAR where it herds you one of two choke points on every lake. The zones are massive and you can get anywhere. You decide how to best help your side.

Don't think that zergs will rue the day either. Due to the high skill cap in combat, a well coordinated group can take out an inept raid (4 groups) of people. A group can choke supply. Even solo you can take over an un-upgraded supply camp. There are also soloable objectives although I haven't checked them out since they were added.

31. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 16:10 PropheT

Yakubs wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 15:36:
I think this game is a great suggestion of ways to evolve the genre but, for me, it was a total failure at actually implementing these suggestions.

I had the same experience with it, but... I bought it anyway. I guess that's what the no subscription fee gets me, since I wouldn't have if I knew I had to get my money's worth in a month's time.

I don't think it's worth even a fraction of the hype surrounding it, but it's the right thing at the right time. There's nothing out, and even though I'm really enjoying the shit out of TSW right now it's not a game you can channel endless hours into every day.

And hey, I don't think they're changing the MMO game style but they're trying, and that's worth something.

30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 16:00 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 15:52:
You know, I haven't even touched the RvR stuff yet. Who has? How is it? I'll get in there sooner or later but I've really jut dug exploring the world so far. This is a great game for explorers.

I did WvWvW exclusively during BWE2, and it was just a clusterfuck of people running around in a giant death ball killing enemy stragglers and destroying encampments. Every once in a while we would run into the other server's death ball and a huge battle would break out, but other than that it was pretty lackluster. I'm hoping it will sort itself out once server populations are increased and stabilized.

29. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 15:52 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

28. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 15:51 Cutter

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 14:12:
Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 13:25:
So Friday night midnight, eh? Sweet!

Midnight PST, but they said they might start the game up to 3 hours early.

They effing well better for those of us EST!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 15:37 Verno

The best advice I can give for those coming from WoW (or a clone) is to try and forget everything they learned in WoW. Those who don't explore, who just jump from one Renown Heart to the next are going to have a bad time.. or at the very least not nearly as much fun. Let yourself get 'lost' in the game, let it take you places as TB says, because that is what GW2 is best at; taking you along for the ride and immersing you so much you forget about leveling and gear farming.

Yeah exactly. I'd go even further and say that you shouldn't worry about what level you are for the most part. The traditional measurements of progression in this genre aren't as important here. Do a variety of activities and you'll usually be the right level for things that you come across. Try out a bunch of weapons and skills. Don't be afraid to switch classes, the whole sunken cost fallacy stuff makes no sense here. If all else fails the map screen has level recommendations on the zones if you zoom out. People who just look for the Renown Hearts in each area and treat it like WoW are the most likely ones to have a negative experience with the game.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 15:36 Yakubs

I played the last beta weekend and lost all interest in the game. I do think the open areas with free exploration is an absolutely great aspect of the game, and seemingly well-implemented from what I saw, but I disliked basically everything else about it.

I think people who claim the combat is a massive improvement over WoW and the like are high/delusional. It's very similar. You DO click on your target and use a skill rotation. Yeah, you can dodge around too but, sorry, that's not interesting. That's a twitch mechanic. Yes, there is no dedicated healer which can be good but it doesn't change the fact that you're playing a mini-game revolving around cooldown management where in many cases you spend more time staring at the interface than the game world.

The skill system is lame too. When I hit level 5 and saw that I was now able to pick from a list of 15 skills, I was happy. Then I read the description of each skill and facepalmed. Half of them are clearly useless except MAYBE in rare situations, the other half are simple variations of skills you already have. Every class has like 100 skills and they're all a variation of: Do X damage and/or apply Y status effect.

This ad-hoc party-based system is interesting in theory but in their execution it's kind of dumb. It's not so much an ad-hoc party system, rather it's an ad-hoc ARMY system. An event appears on the map and suddenly you're just a face in the crowd as 100 players all swarm a single giant enemy or a group of enemies and proceed to spam everything they've got.

If "apply Y status effect" skills aren't boring enough, they're even further devalued by the fact that you're debuffing an enemy along with 100 other people. The list of debuffs on each monster is so long you can't even see them all and you certainly have no earthly clue if you contributed anything at all to the fight, beyond the fact that you just spent 5 minutes pounding your keyboard and particle effects were emitted from your avatar.

PvP is standard fare for these games. The only "innovation" is that you're increased to max level and given top-level gear upon joining the fight. Which is terrible because any attachment you had to your character is now completely gone. Now you're just playing a multiplayer action game with classes, like Team Fortress 2 or something, not an MMORPG.

I think this game is a great suggestion of ways to evolve the genre but, for me, it was a total failure at actually implementing these suggestions.

25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 15:35 zombiefan

Smoke out at Rata Sum at 1:20 am (that makes 4:20EST). That gives you enough time to make your character, grab a sickle and show up with a nice bushel of some Tyrian monkeyweed. My krewe will be supplying the vaporizers. See you there.  

24. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 14:53 eunichron

1d 12h 6m 51s  

23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 14:52 Fion

As an explorer archetype, I too am very, very happy to see exploration make a comeback in MMOGs. For years now I've had to rely on non-MMOG sandbox games for my exploration kicks. Sure WoW is a big open game but there is generally very little of interest to find off the beaten path to the point that nobody leaves the beaten path.

The best advice I can give for those coming from WoW (or a clone) is to try and forget everything they learned in WoW. Those who don't explore, who just jump from one Renown Heart to the next are going to have a bad time.. or at the very least not nearly as much fun. Let yourself get 'lost' in the game, let it take you places as TB says, because that is what GW2 is best at; taking you along for the ride and immersing you so much you forget about leveling and gear farming.

Finally an MMOG that is just about the fun. In my opinion MMOGs largely stopped being just 'fun' a decade ago.

I cant believe we are less than two days from launch. I've already sunk around 100 hours into the game.. finally though I can make a character and not have it deleted a month later :p.

22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 14:14 Tumbler

About time this thing ships...good lord how long has it been on the horizon. Feels like swtor, good it finally shipped, now we can all just move on.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

21. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 14:12 Agent.X7

Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 13:25:
So Friday night midnight, eh? Sweet!

Midnight PST, but they said they might start the game up to 3 hours early.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 13:57 Verno

Bucky wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 13:33:
These two points are huge for me. During the stress test last night I decided to explore a bit, walked through a waterfall where a 'mini' event spawned and gave me a low level zone boss to tackle. Just as I was starting to lose the fight a few other people joined in, and I welcomed the help. The best part? That area isn't shown on the map, even after I explored it. I'm going to lose a lot of time just exploring.

That's something I really love too. I'm always happy to see other players because there is a lot of casual socializing and a sense of cooperation to the gameplay. The lack of a traditional MMO mob tagging system means that more help is always good and their scaling system works fairly well for the most part. The events feel pretty varied too, my short time with Rift left a bad taste in my mouth because most of the events felt like mindless zerg/spawn fests. Those exist in GW2 but there is a lot more flavor overall. They were smart with the rewards too, you get XP from everything - reviving other players, helping someone lower than you fight a mini-boss or etc.

The holy trinity stuff is fine with me but I think it will hurt the more casual players who have come to rely on those concepts. It is definitely a sink or swim type thing.

hype stuff

It is a great MMO but it's still an MMO and people (who haven't played) should really temper their expectations. You aren't going to login, immediately receive an item that let you shoot chickens and then become king of your own personal guild wars city or something. In many ways it is just refinements or spin on traditional MMO mechanics.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo