Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

More on New Black Isle

"It really feels like getting the band back together as we're seeing opportunities not available to us before," says Interplay boss Herve Caen in a quote on Eurogamer about their plans to revive the Black Isle Studios label. "Given our unique position, expanding online and mobile platforms, and renewed interest in our proven properties, I see an incredible success potential for Black Isle Studios." In this case, "the band" will have none of its original members, but they do have the highly regarded Black Isle IPs to work with, and the story states they plan on creating AAA RPGs based on them, though it does not offer a direct quote supporting that. However this is reflected by the mission statement on the Black Isle Studios Twitter Feed, which reads: "Black Isle Studios is a division of Interplay Entertainment devoted to creating the world's best role-playing games."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 24, 2012, 05:58 Nighthawk

Did he said AAA RPG while previously mentioning online and mobile platforms? I'd be interested to see what he can make in terms of a AAA RPG for my android phone.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 23:07 Mashiki Amiketo

NKD wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 18:46:
Freespace space sim/RPG? Please? Please?

*wakes up*
Only if Volition does it. I believe they're still still plotting someones death so they can make it.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

28. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 22:15 Fletch

"Highly regarded... IPs" are constantly being fuxored up by devs with a new vision for today's gamers. Calling it "Black Isle" without any of the original members... I ain't falling for that nostalgia BS any more. Brevik was right. The people behind a game matter.

27. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 20:36 Julio

Quick get the kickstarter link up Herve!  

26. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 20:13 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 15:53:
What IPs do they own? Um, none.
What difference would it make? IPs have diddly squat to do with the quality of a game.

25. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 18:46 NKD

Freespace space sim/RPG? Please? Please?

*wakes up*

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

24. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 16:19 RollinThundr

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 11:45:
Reminds me of Infogrames deciding to call themselves Atari decades on, and then talking about their rich history...

Preeety much, I was actually reading the other day that the old Atari Games (this was the coinop division) was actually owned and operated by Namco for all those years. Kinda blew my mind having not realizing at a young age that the Arcade and home divisions of Atari were two totally separate entities. Though I think Midway ended up with alot of the rights to some of Atari Games old coin ops, never did figure out how that happened.

23. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 16:19 PHJF

Hey, the first, oh, third or so of Lionheart was awesome.

Fuck no, it wasn't! The game was terrible from the outset. After the "Oh, sweet, I'm questing for LEONARDO DA VINCI!" bit the game was bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, mainly owing to the craptacular combat.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 15:53 Cutter

What IPs do they own? Um, none.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 15:47 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 15:45:
Where is deger? Here is something PERFECT for him.

He said something about "nap time on the mats". Sorry.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 15:45 The Half Elf

Where is deger? Here is something PERFECT for him.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 15:16 Evil Timmy

that pile of crap Lionheart

Hey, the first, oh, third or so of Lionheart was awesome. Clever quests and setting, good variety in combat and enemies, just filled with good ideas. None of which made it into the super-grindy last half+ of the game, which was one dungeon crawl after the next. The devs obviously had something great in the works before crunch time hit and they had to churn out all the later levels. With another six months properly funded, they could have had a genuine hit, but clearly that's not what we ended up with. Yet another great game claimed by Interplay's (and by that, I completely and entirely mean the Caen brothers) spectacularly inept flailings as heads of a game publisher.

18. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 14:32 Ozmodan

Considering Interplay is bordering on the brink of insolvency, this sounds like more of a marketing ploy than anything else.  

17. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 14:24 Stanly Manly

As much as these details sicken me, I still can't help but hold out a modicum of hope for a good RPG to be made here. If... and that is a huge *if*... a game actually gets released, I'll judge it on its own merits.  

16. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 14:18 Trevellian

Prez wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 14:10:
Trevellian wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 12:01:
This shit is fucking hilarious

"Sad" would have been more my word of choice...

Well it's obviously sad. But it's also hilarious that he thinks 1 single person is going to think it's the same Black Isle or buy anything it makes knowing the truth.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

15. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 14:10 Prez

Trevellian wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 12:01:

"Sad" would have been more my word of choice...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 13:30 ^Drag0n^

"Wait, guys...I got this idea. Let's make like we're reviving IP, then we'll sell rights to someone else. Then, we'll start a game of our own in a different genre in the same universe, and sue them over breach of contract, settle out of court. PROFIT!"

Oh, wait.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

13. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 13:20 nin

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 12:40:
Hyatus wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 11:52:
I'm sure there will be a kickstarter for this just around the corner.
I look forward to not contributing, and to badmouthing it at every opportunity.

Give then a $1 and you can bitch in the KS thread. I heard of folks doing that during the Sam Spade (think it was, the LSL knock off with Al's "involvement") KS...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 12:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Hyatus wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 11:52:
I'm sure there will be a kickstarter for this just around the corner.
I look forward to not contributing, and to badmouthing it at every opportunity.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

11. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 12:01 Trevellian

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo