Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 24, 2012, 01:45 NegaDeath

axe1970 wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 00:44:
Nothing new here. Sounds like a bit of Apple bashing. (tall poppy syndrome).

Just watch your local TV station put on a Tony Scott movie in the next few weeks. (If it hasn't happened already) Happens every time a celebrity dies.

How much money has Michael Jacksons record company made since his Death?

Regards

Ah, the "everyone else does it" defense.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 24, 2012, 00:44 axe1970

Nothing new here. Sounds like a bit of Apple bashing. (tall poppy syndrome).

Just watch your local TV station put on a Tony Scott movie in the next few weeks. (If it hasn't happened already) Happens every time a celebrity dies.

How much money has Michael Jacksons record company made since his Death?

Regards

I don't read the fine print.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2012, 21:40 nin

Another (macabre) fact a friend in media told me is that most of the media outlets have obituary pieces on file for various politicians and celebs "just in case."

That's totally true. Obits sometimes accidentally get published hours, and in rare fuck ups, days or months before the person actually dies...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2012, 21:37 ^Drag0n^

DangerDog wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 17:06:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 13:40:
This is ridiculous.

Seriously? All they are doing is putting his work on one page for people that woke up to the news and said, "Damn, what movies did he do other than Top Gun?"

I could only name three. I was surprised to see how many good films were there that I would not have known about otherwise.

The one that pisses me off is seeing how FDA "Agent" Novitsky gets away with wasting millions of taxpayer dollars pursuing doping in Pro Sports. So far, he got Barry Bonds 30 days of house arrest for purgery. Oooo.

You might want to check out IMDb.com

Lots of great info about your favorite actor, director, producer with 90% less shilling.

No argument there, my point was more that Apple did nothing less douchy than the various record and movie studios do when someone dies.

Another (macabre) fact a friend in media told me is that most of the media outlets have obituary pieces on file for various politicians and celebs "just in case."

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2012, 20:35 Julio

For once, Apple isn't doing anything different than other companies. They all profit off the death of celebrities.

Consumers love to buy music and movies of the recently dead. This just caters to that.

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2012, 17:09 SectorEffector

Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 15:55:
Apple is the biggest douchebag company on the planet atm, period.

You can thank Sony and other record labels, you think apples the worst till you realize MPAA and RIAA aren't just profiting off death, they are literally putting time and resources into containing our Internet with their guidelines while paying off the senators we have voted into power based on trust.

You're not fooling me with anti apple rhetoric, this be the labels and the labels can make big changes with iTunes or amazon etc.

We don't have to love apple but we definitely shouldn't love Large record labels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2012, 17:06 DangerDog

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 13:40:
This is ridiculous.

Seriously? All they are doing is putting his work on one page for people that woke up to the news and said, "Damn, what movies did he do other than Top Gun?"

I could only name three. I was surprised to see how many good films were there that I would not have known about otherwise.

The one that pisses me off is seeing how FDA "Agent" Novitsky gets away with wasting millions of taxpayer dollars pursuing doping in Pro Sports. So far, he got Barry Bonds 30 days of house arrest for purgery. Oooo.

You might want to check out IMDb.com

Lots of great info about your favorite actor, director, producer with 90% less shilling.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2012, 15:55 Cutter

Apple is the biggest douchebag company on the planet atm, period.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadÖ Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2012, 13:44 nin

Deja Vu was a fun flick, for those that missed it...

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2012, 13:40 ^Drag0n^

This is ridiculous.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2012, 12:23 Ghakis

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 10:05:
Tony Scott: Apple flogs old movies and profits from a manís suicide.

That's disgusting...weren't they also the ones caught inflating the cost of Whitney Houston albums right after her death?

edit: Apparently that was Sony.

You can't rule out the influence of the studios(s) in many of these cases. We'd have to be pretty naive to think that they wouldn't try to profit on this kind of news.

I agree that it lacks class, but I'm still not surprised.

As for the article which talks about Tony Scott getting his own page in iTunes only because he died, I can't say that I have a big issue with that. The man died and it was tragic. But it also probably caused a lot of people to ask, "What movies did the guy make?" Putting them altogether on a single page so people can see the body of his work makes sense to me. For example, I thought I was familiar with his work but I didn't know he made "The Hunger." Unfortunately iTunes only lists his more "popular" movies on the page rather than all movies affiliated with him (or at least that's the case with iTunes Canada).

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2012, 12:15 PropheT

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 10:05:

That's disgusting...weren't they also the ones caught inflating the cost of Whitney Houston albums right after her death?

I don't know about inflating prices, but they've done the same "Death Sale" thing with Whitney Houston and with Amy Winehouse for sure, and probably others I didn't notice.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2012, 11:31 NegaDeath

Stay classy Apple.  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2012, 10:05 nin

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo