Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 14:59 gilly775

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 13:47:
The problem is that people can't stand change.

You're right. So why does the company reinvent the wheel? So you can buy it again, every few years...

Exactly. What was wrong with good ol' Windows 3.1?

Oh yeah, cause everyone wants bigger, faster, more. And in order to do that, companies have to build new engines and then add on bigger, flashier graphics to make it look more appealing.

This is why I would stick with Linux if I can get all of my games to run on it flawlessly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 14:57 gilly775

Verno wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 14:46:
You are ignoring the fact that a Metro style shell for tablets is literally at odds by design with a desktop interface.

So don't use it. I go into the Start Screen to search, not to click on pretty looking tiles. While it does cater to tablets, it still is a functional OS that has allowed me to open items faster than searching for the same things in the Start Menu in 7.

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 14:46 Verno

searching has improved (esp. in the Start Screen)

Debatable. The grouping of results should be customizable, some people need complexity pared down and other people have large installs where they need things indexed into groups. Many users do not know to hit the down arrow and literally believe search results don't exist because they aren't in the "App" category.

there are already apps out there to allow the Start Menu to appear, Hyper-V 3 is included in the Pro version, the added storage options are better, etc.

That sounds more like just rattling off features from a bullet point list. The usefulness of many features is highly subjective and I'd argue few of them are really going to be install motivators even in combination.

The problem is that people can't stand change. If you spent a few days with it (not an hour and just flat out comment that it sucks without even trying it), it might just catch on for you. Heck, we did that for all of these other OS's.

Many people don't like change but something people hate is change where it makes no sense. You are ignoring the fact that a Metro style shell for tablets is literally at odds by design with a desktop interface. In every aspect - display of information, user interaction, discoverability and etc. This is why choice and customization are important and in the past Microsoft was a lot smarter about that. It is not unreasonable for people to want a choice here, particularly when Metro is obviously aimed at tablet users and makes little sense for desktop users. Asking people to not only learn a new interface (with its own troublesome set of design flaws for desktop use) but bounce between the new and old isn't very reasonable, particularly when we're talking about Mom and Pop type users who will end up with this preinstalled.

Third party shells do not inherently fix the issue either. Metro can't really be ignored, you will continually run into even with average (work) user level workflow. What's more troubling is the presumption that they want to take this even further at some point despite making so many significant mistakes and having shown no sign of listening to developer and consumer feedback.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2012, 14:54.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 14:46 Ozmodan

Well the Windows 7 article forgot one big point. Windows 8 is going to be far cheaper than 7, hence I think 8 will be far more popular than he thinks.

Oh and to all of you whining about Windows 8, if you took some time to get used to it, you would realize it is far superior to 7.

Put it on my mother's computer and she was saying how much easier it is to use. There are a lot of computer illiterate people out there who will love it.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 14:35 Beamer

NKD wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 14:31:
specifically on the Metro start screen.

Your terminology here ("start screen") is interesting. With PC reviews/previews, I've seen two attitudes:
1) Metro is completely asinine and I hate it and hate this for it
2) Metro is just a Start button, I see it even less often than I saw the Start button, and it doesn't impede me in any way, shape or form, and therefore I think this OS is a huge leap in quality over Windows 7

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 14:31 NKD

gilly775 wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 13:42:

The problem is that people can't stand change. If you spent a few days with it (not an hour and just flat out comment that it sucks without even trying it), it might just catch on for you. Heck, we did that for all of these other OS's.

Well one thing to consider is that not everyones workflow and needs are the same. Metro isn't a significant detractor for me because I so rarely see it. I have a bunch of crap open, all of that crap has their own UIs, and I just switch between them.

But some people might spend more time dicking around with Metro for whatever reason, and it might bug them more. Though at the moment I can't think of any power user workflow in which a person would spend a lot of time in the Windows shell, specifically on the Metro start screen.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 13:50 noman

Julio wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 13:39:
Win 8 is the operating system that makes Vista look better. Microsoft can pay all the people they want to shill/promote Win 8, I'm not taking that turd.

You will be missing out then. Win8 Release Preview is the best Windows OS you can run on any PC that came out in the last ten years. To have the pro version for $40, regardless of theversion of XP, Win7 or Vista you currently have, is an awesome deal.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 13:47 nin

The problem is that people can't stand change.

You're right. So why does the company reinvent the wheel? So you can buy it again, every few years...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 13:45 noman

The Pyro wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 12:26:
I can't imagine having to run everything full-screen... I always keep my browser about 1100 pixels wide at most. Otherwise you can end up on websites without maximum widths for text and the resulting layout is nearly illegible. How does Metro handle that sort of use case? Is your browser forced to use the entire screen space?

I've got dual 23" monitors here, and I do *NOT* need 23" of browser space!

You don't have to use the metro IE or Chrome. Just use the desktop version as before. If you power the PC on, you'll see the start screen, where you click a desktop icon and then stay in that domain. It takes less time for you to start Win8, hit that button and be on the desktop than it takes to start Win7, Vista or XP. If you are used to putting the PC to sleep mode, then you won't see the start screen when waking up the PC. Desktop version of IE10 is actually pretty good.

If you run the Metro IE (or the upcoming Chrome) you'll be in full screen mode. Well you can give 320 pixels to right or left side (only one at a time) to another metro app or the desktop. You can have the Mail app, or an RSS reader running to the left, with the browser app taking the rest of the space. For multi-monitor, you have the controls to have metro apps open only on one monnitor and you keep the desktop on remaining ones. By the way, multi-monitor setup is handled way better in Win8 compared to Win7 or previous versions. It's one of the many understated (but extremely useful) new enhancements in Windows8.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 13:42 gilly775

I get sick of all of the hate for these OS's. It's the same crap posted every time there is a change:

3.1 to 95
98 to XP
XP to Vista
XP to 7
and now this.

It's fast, it's slick, the new task manager is awesome, searching has improved (esp. in the Start Screen), there are already apps out there to allow the Start Menu to appear, Hyper-V 3 is included in the Pro version, the added storage options are better, etc.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 13:39 Julio

Win 8 is the operating system that makes Vista look better. Microsoft can pay all the people they want to shill/promote Win 8, I'm not taking that turd.  

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 13:35 noman

Verno wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 10:07:
Windows 8 is bad for different reasons than say Vista. The performance is not really the problem, in fact it's very light weight and robust overall. As many articles have mentioned Metro is really the problem with Windows 8, it's a usability nightmare. You can't just ignore it and spend your whole day in the Desktop "app" either, a lot of common actions will end up taking you into the Metro shell just enough to be annoying and disrupt your workflow.

In my usage of Win8 Release Preview, the only time I go to start screen, is when I want to try out any of the new metro apps, or very *rarely* when I have to search for an application or a particular windows function. I am not sure why you are dropping out to metro apps. Even across sleep/wakeup cycle, I stay in desktop. I have applications pinned to taskbar, the jumplists works as efficiently as before. There are few desktop icons too.

Windows8 is a very good OS for desktop PC, especially considering how good the desktop rendering is and the way resources are shared between windowed or full-screen games and the remaining applications. Wakeup/sleep cycles are noticeably better, and the network connectivity to printers, other PCs, digital tuners etc is lot more robust than XP/Vista/Win7.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 13:32 ^Drag0n^

Didn't they say that about Vista?

*ducks*

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 12:26 The Pyro

I can't imagine having to run everything full-screen... I always keep my browser about 1100 pixels wide at most. Otherwise you can end up on websites without maximum widths for text and the resulting layout is nearly illegible. How does Metro handle that sort of use case? Is your browser forced to use the entire screen space?

I've got dual 23" monitors here, and I do *NOT* need 23" of browser space!

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 12:05 Ratty

NKD wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 10:43:
I've been messing with Windows 8 and from a performance standpoint it's pretty nice. I can overlook the wacky UI for now. Hopefully in the next version though they scrap it.
When I upgraded to Win 7 I changed everything about the UI to act like Windows XP: using Classic Shell, etc. It's a nice way to enjoy the benefits of a new OS and not deal with most of the headaches. For several months I just hated that "Favorites" was at the top of Explorer forcing me to scroll down to the drive letter I wanted. But just in the last couple of weeks I've started to appreciate it, removing the ones I didn't care about and adding my own. So it just took me some time to come around. I think a new UI should let you do that: give you the option to add new features at your own pace.

The one annoyance I still have is when I highlight a filename by single clicking twice in Explorer Windows 7 never includes the extension anymore so I have to go through the extra hassle of selecting the entire filename.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 11:43 nin

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 11:33:
If 8 is indicative of Microsofts path going forward looks like I'll be using 7 for a looong time.

Yeah, they've kind of painted themselves into a corner. Based on the sheer amount of negative articles/responses, I'd be shocked if it's successful in any way. It really does remind me of the initial response Pista got...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 11:33 NegaDeath

If 8 is indicative of Microsofts path going forward looks like I'll be using 7 for a looong time.  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 11:04 Shok

Since IT support is my career, I'll probably do the $40 Win8 upgrade thing just to have it around so I can learn any new tech in it. I have no desire to use it daily though.  

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 10:43 NKD

I've been messing with Windows 8 and from a performance standpoint it's pretty nice. I can overlook the wacky UI for now. Hopefully in the next version though they scrap it.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 10:22 Luke

They should have called it Windows 8 tablet version 1.0....for tablets  

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo