Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2012, 21:03 Rigs

Ain't gonna happen...at least initially. Somehow I see the PS4 as being true to one of the previous rumors, that it will be 'modular'...to a degree. What I mean is essentially how you see game studios that work on franchises like Mario or HALO, where they use the same hardware each time but each game looks better and better. The difference between, say, HALO 3 and HALO Reach is striking, but it's the same hardware powering it. With the PS4, I think Sony is trying to cut down on the time needed for dev studios to learn and be comfortable with the hardware (especially seeing how the PS3 is allegedly so hard to code for) and there by giving us games that don't need two or three prequels to get to where they might be at the tail-end of a normal console life-cycle, like HALO 4. I think between updated BIOS/firmware/OS and possibly introducing, for the first time, a console that can be 'upgraded', say with a new graphics chip or 'expansion pak' (like was always dreamed about in previous consoles but never really utilized), we'll see things like 4k support and maybe larger Blu-Ray disc support or more RAM for the video hardware. If you think about it, there's a lot of ways they could introduce new features to a 'static' console in this way and still keep it viable for those that don't (or can't) upgrade, say programming for both versions, only new features being available on upgraded modules.

I mean, why not? They really haven't gone down this road before, to any great degree, and as long as everything is kept in-house and they keep the ability for every game to be played whether the console has been 'upgraded' or not (no exclusive titles!) then I don't see why it can't be successful. They have different sized hard drives for consoles now, why not different video chips/cards? Why not more RAM? Don't make it as complex and difficult as a normal PC, just have some sort of cart or modular box/pack that just plugs in with a snap, like the expansion ports of old that were almost never used. The gaming public wasn't ready for different hard drives and such back then. The biggest thing going was different peripherals like joysticks/gamepads, light guns and 3D-glasses. Since the industry has matured and gamers, for the most part, are more technically inclined (at least the ones that would care about upgrading anyway), this next console generation would be a good time to introduce some type of modular upgrade system. By doing this, a console generation may last not 7-10 years but possible 12-15, depending on tech breakthroughs in the meantime. Something to think about, eh?

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 23, 2012, 20:27 killer_roach

mag wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 16:41:
dj LiTh wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 04:44:
A blueray disk doesnt hold enough data to be able to push an hour n half movie at 4k, not even close. Rumor fail.

A 25GB Blu-Ray can hold 3-4 hours of MPEG4 1080p (~2.1 megapixels) content. The Blu-Ray spec allows for 100GB discs. "4K" covers a whole bunch of resolutions which fall between 7 and 12 megapixels. 3840x2160 (double the vertical and horizontal resolution of 1080p) seems most likely, so ~8.3 megapixels.

100GB seems like it'd be plenty for a movie at 4K. I don't think current Blu-Ray uses state-of-the-art encoding, either.

If they move to h.265 encoding for 4K Blu-Ray, it's possible they could get sufficient quality at that resolution out of a 45-50Mbit stream, which would mean quite a few movies could be available in 4K on currently-existing dual-layer 50GB discs, much less discs with more layers than that.

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 23, 2012, 16:41 mag

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 04:44:
A blueray disk doesnt hold enough data to be able to push an hour n half movie at 4k, not even close. Rumor fail.

A 25GB Blu-Ray can hold 3-4 hours of MPEG4 1080p (~2.1 megapixels) content. The Blu-Ray spec allows for 100GB discs. "4K" covers a whole bunch of resolutions which fall between 7 and 12 megapixels. 3840x2160 (double the vertical and horizontal resolution of 1080p) seems most likely, so ~8.3 megapixels.

100GB seems like it'd be plenty for a movie at 4K. I don't think current Blu-Ray uses state-of-the-art encoding, either.

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 23, 2012, 04:44 dj LiTh

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 23, 2012, 00:42 DangerDog

PS4 4k

Don't think it has anything to do with games, just the bluray player for movies.

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 23, 2012, 00:03 killer_roach

theglaze wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 22:14:
4K res? Sure, at <25fps

"Supporting" a resolution and "having playable games" at that resolution are two different things.

Then again, could you imagine a remade version of Rayman Origins at 4K?

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 22, 2012, 22:31 Kitkoan

theglaze wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 22:14:
4K res? Sure, at <25fps

Hey, Pong might be able to reach 30 FPS at that size

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 22, 2012, 22:14 theglaze

4K res? Sure, at <25fps  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >