Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black Isle Studios Name Revived

A Black Isle Studios Website has popped up, sporting an image stating: "Our goal has always been to make the word's best RPGs. Black Isle Studios is back." The idea that the studio behind Fallout and Planescape: Torment is returning is certainly appealing, but of course almost eight years has passed since Interplay shut the studio down, and true to that, Kotaku notes a tweet by former Black Isle mainstay Chris Avellone confirms that Interplay is getting the band back together in name only: "I know nothing about the Black Isle Studio news announcement, doesn't involve me or Obsidian... or well, anyone that I know. ;)" NeoGAF points out the revived company's Facebook Page and Twitter feed are also now live.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 15:42 Alamar

Prez wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 14:03:
Just like in the case of Blizzard nowadays, the name means nothing. It's who is behind it. I'll wait for the original Black Isle developers to release some kickstarter projects.

I think your 'solution' is just as ignorant as your complaint...

What I mean is... Even if you got 'the whole team' back together to make something, doesn't mean what they put it isn't going to be shit...

Explained another way, it's just fixating, or minimalizing other important contributors, such as timing, funding, the market in general, the weather, etc...

Plus, you're really just saying the name of a developer/celebrity matters, which is precisely what you're saying doesn't... I'm a big Edward Norton fan, for example, but he has some (recent) crappy movies, and his personal performance is substandard...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 15:39 Bet

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 13:43:
Interplay is running pretty much on hopes and dreams and the continued means of the crooked Caen brothers to avoid getting put in jail. The company's got basically no revenue and is millions upon millions in debt but they're going to be able to put out something under Black Isle? Yeah sure. Funny enough, when I commented on this to Brian Fargo on Twitter, he told me that apparently Interplay won a number of millions of dollars in their settlement with Bethesda (I don't think they was ever revealed in the settlement itself), yet they seem to have spent none of it paying down the company's massive liabilities. Likely the Caens just pocketed it and are hoping to string investors along by making it look like they're bringing one of Interplay's former bright spots back. These two so deserve to be penniless.
If it wasn't for your source, and knowing the Caens... what scumbags. Absolute, incredible, scumbaggery. KHAAAAAN(S).

16. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 15:36 Bet

nin wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 13:50:
It amazes me interplay is still breathing...

It always amazed me too, until this. Now I'm just annoyed.

15. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 15:24 Silicon Avatar

I just watched the Battlechess footage and I'm not surprised that it wasn't funded.

Crotch-grabbing knight vs. Queen doing the robot didn't come close to selling it for me.

14. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 15:22 entr0py

That's a smart move on Interplay's part. Also a dick move. They're smart dicks is basically what I'm saying.

Edit : But if this new studio really is devoted to making old school RPGs with the PC as the lead platform, more of that is always welcome. Maybe they will produce something worthwhile in spite of these shenanigans.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2012, 17:19.

13. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 15:20 Mashiki Amiketo

Unless Chris Avellone and team are there, it's not Black Isle.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 15:17 nin

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 14:56:
According to Interplay's new official Twitter feed (@InterplayGames), there actually was a Kickstarter for a Battle Chess revival that doesn't have their name on it but they were apparently involved with in some way. I never heard of it until now (and I follow Kickstarter way more than I should) and it only hit 16% of it's relatively modest goal.

I remember seeing that one, but lost track of it...oh well.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 14:56 Parallax Abstraction

According to Interplay's new official Twitter feed (@InterplayGames), there actually was a Kickstarter for a Battle Chess revival that doesn't have their name on it but they were apparently involved with in some way. I never heard of it until now (and I follow Kickstarter way more than I should) and it only hit 16% of it's relatively modest goal.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

10. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 14:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

Verno wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 13:50:
I smell a dubious Kickstarter in the making.

Black Isle Studios wakes up in the mortuary, has no memories of past.

Lol!

I'd say poor Black Isle, but they're mostly all still around(the real Black Isle), over at Obsidian making great but flawed games, of course.

9. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 14:51 El Pit

Baldur's Gate Online?
Icewind Dale Online?
Or the crossover? Planescape: Baldur's Dale? Torment: Icewind Gate?
Whatever it is, it will be a kickstarter with always-on DRM and a RMAH. Interplay proved that they know how to WIN!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

8. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 14:39 Creston

It's like EA using Origin for a download service. It's nothing but name rape.

Creston

7. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 14:18 Silicon Avatar

More like Black Pile.

Steaming Black Pile.

6. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 14:17 Cutter

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 13:43:
Interplay is running pretty much on hopes and dreams and the continued means of the crooked Caen brothers to avoid getting put in jail. The company's got basically no revenue and is millions upon millions in debt but they're going to be able to put out something under Black Isle? Yeah sure. Funny enough, when I commented on this to Brian Fargo on Twitter, he told me that apparently Interplay won a number of millions of dollars in their settlement with Bethesda (I don't think they was ever revealed in the settlement itself), yet they seem to have spent none of it paying down the company's massive liabilities. Likely the Caens just pocketed it and are hoping to string investors along by making it look like they're bringing one of Interplay's former bright spots back. These two so deserve to be penniless.

Peniless and in prison for life in some shithole third world country. People like that are a perfect reason as to why revoking corporate charters should be commonplace and barring crooks like that from ever running a business again. They are the very definition of douchebaggery!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 14:03 Prez

Just like in the case of Blizzard nowadays, the name means nothing. It's who is behind it. I'll wait for the original Black Isle developers to release some kickstarter projects.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 13:54 Yakubs

Looking forward to their new action RPG with epic storyline and romances.  

3. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 13:50 Verno

I smell a dubious Kickstarter in the making.

Black Isle Studios wakes up in the mortuary, has no memories of past.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

2. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 13:50 nin

It amazes me interplay is still breathing...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Black Isle Studios Name Revived Aug 22, 2012, 13:43 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo