Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95%

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot gives GamesIndustry International his outlook on free-to-play games as a way of combating PC piracy, explaining the difficulties presented by serving an audience they perceive to be 93-95% thieves:

"We want to develop the PC market quite a lot and F2P is really the way to do it," said the French CEO. "The advantage of F2P is that we can get revenue from countries where we couldn't previously - places where our products were played but not bought. Now with F2P we gain revenue, which helps brands last longer.

"It's a way to get closer to your customers, to make sure you have a revenue. On PC it's only around five to seven per cent of the players who pay for F2P, but normally on PC it's only about five to seven per cent who pay anyway, the rest is pirated. It's around a 93-95 per cent piracy rate, so it ends up at about the same percentage. The revenue we get from the people who play is more long term, so we can continue to bring content."

View
150 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

30. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:24 Prez

nin wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 11:19:
Apologies for my crassness

Yeah, it is a crazy day here when Prez starts talking about fucking people "right up the ass".

It made me feel better - I may do it more often. Err.... that's "say" it more often.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:22 Wesp5

DukeFNukem wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 11:01:
Steam seems to be have gotten it right.

What has Steam got to do with this? Steam is a kind of DRM itself and AAA games there cost the same as on retail, although they should be cheaper with no media and box and stuff. If you buy them years later or on a sale, the price has nothing to do with retail vs digital distribution!

28. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:21 McSterls

Wasn't constant internet connection Ubi's cure for Piracy? Guess that didn't work.  

27. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:19 nin

Apologies for my crassness

Yeah, it is a crazy day here when Prez starts talking about fucking people "right up the ass".

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:15 Prez

What these lying, whiny, crybaby motherfuckers don't tell you is that their piracy rate went UP after they implemented their bullshit anti-consumer DRM. Fuck Ubisoft - fuck them right up the ass.

Apologies for my crassness, but I am utterly sick of the disgusting way these losers constantly whine about their phoney numbers pulled out of their cheese-eating asses.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:13 MercilessMing

These Companies (UBI specifically dug their on grave I think with the gaming community) moaning about piracy just ticks me off and have pushed me away from Movies/Music/Gaming in general and as domino effect I am no longer a consumerist of the ancillary companies/products that are needed.
IE. No longer a gamer I don't need the better high end gaming cards...nor generally MS Windows. And the industry I work in I dont' need my overall pc upgraded beyond OS needs so I forsee going years before an upgrade. And disregarding any other aspects of populous opinion of windows 8, I am not looking at Windows 8 because I don't need it for anything until we upgrade to it at work and Windows 7 isn't supported...and at that point, the few games I still play like civ 5 I will be tired of at that point, I will just virtualize win x for work related activities on a linux host that possible will be mostly FSF compliant.

As such , while raising my daughter she may follow my examples and be less a consumerist... continuing the downward spiral of companies.

24. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:09 nin

wrlwnd wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 11:03:
So he's pretty much saying that his DRM efforts have completely failed.

Why then punish the legit 5 to 7% customers with ridiculous DRM?

Because that's what DRM is all about. The only people that have to experience it are paying customers. That goes for games, movies, music...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:09 Prez

Same bullshit spewed by Ubisoft, different day. Meh - I don't care. You guys suck at making games anyway. Wake me when you get your heads out of your asses and start making real games without your asinine crapware DRM.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:07 Silicon Avatar

I don't know what they're talking about with the 95% piracy rate. They must be mashing all the world game piracy statistics together instead of focusing on having different products and different price points for different markets.

Ubisoft doesn't understand economics or statistics.

21. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:04 HorrorScope

DukeFNukem wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 11:01:
Steam seems to be have gotten it right. People will purchase software at the right price versus pirating it. The days of paying $50-$60 for games may be diminishing because of the sheer number of choices available today. The number of games a person can choose to buy at any one time is increasing exponentially. The number of game sales is inversely proportionate to its price. The cheaper the game becomes, generally, the more the sales increase. These people complaining about piracy all the time need to start thinking smarter. Times are harder. More competition means it not as easy to get filthy rich like in the past but if you think smarter and find solutions it can still be done as many people are doing through Steam. I just can't see these arguments about piracy being valid when there are many success stories through Steam.

Agreed. It's going to be hard for these companies who think they are making "AAA's" who really aren't, that they need to reduce their sales price day one. There is over-saturation of games being released, it's now a buyers market for sure. And mobile devices are playing a large part as well.

20. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:03 wrlwnd

So he's pretty much saying that his DRM efforts have completely failed.

Why then punish the legit 5 to 7% customers with ridiculous DRM?

19. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:01 DukeFNukem

Steam seems to be have gotten it right. People will purchase software at the right price versus pirating it. The days of paying $50-$60 for games may be diminishing because of the sheer number of choices available today. The number of games a person can choose to buy at any one time is increasing exponentially. The number of game sales is inversely proportionate to its price. The cheaper the game becomes, generally, the more the sales increase. These people complaining about piracy all the time need to start thinking smarter. Times are harder. More competition means it not as easy to get filthy rich like in the past but if you think smarter and find solutions it can still be done as many people are doing through Steam. I just can't see these arguments about piracy being valid when there are many success stories through Steam.
It's probably easier to sell a million copies of a game at $10.00 than it is to sell a 100,000 copies of a game at $60.00. There is a sweet spot somewhere. Stop complaining and figure it out.
I stopped paying $60.00 for games a long time ago. The most I pay is $10 now days. If I have to wait 2 years after its release so be it. I will wait. And I don't pirate it anytime before. Theres no reason to. There's enough quality $10.00 games to keep me busy the 2-years Im waiting on $60 games to drop.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2012, 11:07.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

18. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:00 Luke

I think he gets turned on saying this , he just love to call well nearly everyone pirates Ucrazy Yves Guillemot  

17. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:00 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 10:55:
Here we go again with the typical knee-jerk reaction of y'allz stealing faggots who feel like they got caught red-handed when numbers like this are presented. Yes, my dear friends. The realization that YOU are the problem may be a tough one but that's how it is. Stop stealing and maybe we'll see a trend to better PC games one day.

I don't and I don't buy ubi stuff, because they don't make one thing I want. I'm one of those not afraid of always on DRM (in general) because I have a solid connection and if it went down I can adjust my life accordingly. It's they just don't make games I want to play.

I get your point and I use it a bit, not so direct though. But face it telling us 90%+ isn't helping anything out. They might as well just walk away from the market then.

They probably drop it because it sounds like a great excuse when explaining why you aren't hitting your numbers.

16. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:58 HorrorScope

Tough talk will not work, that isn't how you sell. And we don't care if you support the pc or not, you can go away. If it's not working for you and we don't want you, it sounds like you have issues if you continue to do so.

Now bringing in some countries the piracy is nearly 100%. It is for everything in that country. So anyone can go around skewing numbers taking in communist countries that don't honor eula's etc.

I don't know what to tell them other then, don't program for the PC, we don't need or want you anyway. That said if you want to go FTP go for it, again we don't care what you do on the PC.

15. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:56 Bob

Is he really saying that if you play F2P and _don't_ purchase something, they consider you a pirate?  

14. removed Aug 22, 2012, 10:55 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 22, 2012, 13:29.

13. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:53 MxxCon

nin wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 10:28:
Who's up for pirating UBI for spite?

W00t

12. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:46 JohnnyRotten

As a not Ubisoft insider, I can safely tell you that the real piracy rate is really closer to 450%  

11. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:46 Beamer

RailWizard wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 10:42:
Who's ass were those stats pulled out of? (edit:dammit beat me by 1 post! lol)

..and how does one pirate a F2P game?

Geez these guys are some whining babies. Blame everyone and everything but yourselves, that's right. Rolleyes

No one said anything about pirating f2p games...

I'd like to see one of these companies show how they get to these numbers. I'm guessing it's comparing trackers to sales, but even then it's probably more like 50% at the high end...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

150 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo