Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95%

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot gives GamesIndustry International his outlook on free-to-play games as a way of combating PC piracy, explaining the difficulties presented by serving an audience they perceive to be 93-95% thieves:

"We want to develop the PC market quite a lot and F2P is really the way to do it," said the French CEO. "The advantage of F2P is that we can get revenue from countries where we couldn't previously - places where our products were played but not bought. Now with F2P we gain revenue, which helps brands last longer.

"It's a way to get closer to your customers, to make sure you have a revenue. On PC it's only around five to seven per cent of the players who pay for F2P, but normally on PC it's only about five to seven per cent who pay anyway, the rest is pirated. It's around a 93-95 per cent piracy rate, so it ends up at about the same percentage. The revenue we get from the people who play is more long term, so we can continue to bring content."

View
150 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

10. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:45 Paketep

He probably means 93-95% of people pirate AFTER they implemented their useless and, oh, insecure DRM.

Fucking idiots.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:45 Verno

I could believe those figures for China alone but internationally? Get lost, DD is massive now. Publishers love the idea of F2P because they want to micro-transact the audience until they have to sell their actual clothing to buy virtual wardrobes.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

8. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:45 MajorD

I wonder if Yves has a cousin named Cevat Yerli?

7. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:44 nin

And the reward for the biggest number pulled out of his own gaping asshole goes to......Yves Guillemot!!!!

I'm thinking like a bronze goatse sculpture as his reward...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:42 RailWizard

Who's ass were those stats pulled out of? (edit:dammit beat me by 1 post! lol)

..and how does one pirate a F2P game?

Geez these guys are some whining babies. Blame everyone and everything but yourselves, that's right. Rolleyes

5. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:41 wtf_man

I haven't bought NOR PLAYED an Ubisoft game since the DRM-Free Prince of Persia (2008).

BECAUSE of their DRM.

So, if 93% - 95% is truly pirating their games (which is probably a number being pulled out of their ass)... that's because the rest of us gave up on them altogether, and won't buy an "always on-line single player game".

4. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:40 InBlack

And the reward for the biggest number pulled out of his own gaping asshole goes to......Yves Guillemot!!!!

Congratulations Yves!! Lets all give the man a round of applause!!

*claps*

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:40 Kobalt

Fake numbers out the ass everywhere  

2. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:28 necrosis

Maybe people are driven to piracy to spit in your face because of draconian DRM? Not to mention PC versions of their games coming out MONTHS after consoles.

God the industry is still fucking clueless.

1. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 10:28 nin

Who's up for pirating UBI for spite?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

150 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo