Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

Link of the Day: Let's Build a Goddamn Tesla Museum. Success! Thanks nin.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Into the Black Aug 22, 2012, 13:54 NegaDeath

Good job on the museum. Now we need to kickstarter a Tesla cloning project. Maybe get Einstein in there if they have a bundle deal.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Into the Black Aug 22, 2012, 08:27 Beamer

I've received about 3 or 4 things from Kickstarter, including an awesome pen.

I'm still waiting on about a dozen, 3 of which have already missed the original estimated ship date but that date was likely estimated for about 100 units, not 1,000+. I'm not concerned. But those are products already built that need to be manufactured. I have much greater concerns for video games.

I'm wagering my Kickstarter success rate will be approximately 90%, though if you count quality more like 60% (I do expect a good chunk of these games to take an hour of my time before I uninstall.)

A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend in Brooklyn kickstarted his artisinal sauerkraut project. He used most of the funds to build a new kitchen for the sauerkraut. Then posted a panicky "hey, does anyone know where to buy organic cabbage? Everyone is telling me it's past season" update. Guess he got his kitchen but his customers didn't get their sauerkraut.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Into the Black Aug 22, 2012, 07:34 space captain

eunichron wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 00:23:
The only thing preventing me from participating in Kickstarter campaigns is we have yet to see anything come to fruition from it.

what?

plenty of kickstarter projects have shipped out products to people already

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Into the Black Aug 22, 2012, 01:38 Sepharo

eunichron wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 00:23:
For example, there is this girl whose Kickstarter for a board game was successful, but after the fact she came out and said that the sun told her to stop making the game. So what happened to the $7,840 that she received? Did she refund it? Did she keep it? Does Kickstarter follow up to make sure that the money is going where it's supposed to, or are 85 people collectively out of $7,840?

That's obvious schizophrenia right there in that post. But there are newer posts from July that show her making progress on the game.

3. Re: Into the Black Aug 22, 2012, 01:14 jacobvandy

LMAO, regardless of what KS policy is, I hope those 85 brain surgeons are just plain SOL. You have to be at least a little loose with your purse strings to give money to that... person, let alone $200+. I hope they learn a lesson.  

2. Re: Into the Black Aug 22, 2012, 00:23 eunichron

The only thing preventing me from participating in Kickstarter campaigns is we have yet to see anything come to fruition from it. What happens if a project gets canceled? What if they run over budget? I will support it more once there are tangible results.

For example, there is this girl whose Kickstarter for a board game was successful, but after the fact she came out and said that the sun told her to stop making the game. So what happened to the $7,840 that she received? Did she refund it? Did she keep it? Does Kickstarter follow up to make sure that the money is going where it's supposed to, or are 85 people collectively out of $7,840?

1. Re: Into the Black Aug 22, 2012, 00:02 jdreyer

Speaking of "kickstarting" the Tesla museum (yay!) I'd like to say how pleased I am with the way the Planetary Annihilation kickstarter is going. They have reached 2/3 of their goal in 10 days.

I find that kickstarter is enticing me to pay more upfront than I would for things I'd buy after they were built. I am, however, only funding sequels to games I've really spent a lot of time in over the years: PA and DG2. These projects are also run by devs with tons of experience or proven track records.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2012, 01:47.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo