Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Three days after suing Apple, Google says patent wars hurt consumers Aug 22, 2012, 08:06 InBlack

Wasnt he talking about those Damned Red Commies though? I mean what else could he be talking about right? Right?  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Three days after suing Apple, Google says patent wars hurt consumers Aug 22, 2012, 07:44 space captain

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 21:22:
Lincoln:

“We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing its end. It has cost a vast amount of treasure and blood … It has indeed been a trying hour for the Republic; but I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless.”

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower in a letter to his brother Edgar, November 8, 1954

For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence--on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day. It is a system which has conscripted vast human and material resources into the building of a tightly knit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations.

Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried, not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed. It conducts the Cold War, in short, with a war-time discipline no democracy would ever hope or wish to match.

- JFK

Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Three days after suing Apple, Google says patent wars hurt consumers Aug 22, 2012, 05:35 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 12:55:
Nucas wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 12:50:
i don't see anything wrong with disdaining the game you've been forced to play.

these patent lawsuits are so ridiculous and literally out of control i don't see how the current system can be allowed to stand. but knowing america, i'm sure we'll instead simply find a way to make it workable and let the industry stagnate as a result.

I agree. Which is why I don't condemn Mitt Romney for whatever taxes he never paid and don't see a point to proving his tax rate.

You can hate rules yet still play by them. It's about whether you manage to change those rules.

There. Fixed that for ya! Go Romney Go! Fight for the American people!

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: Three days after suing Apple, Google says patent wars hurt consumers Aug 22, 2012, 04:13 RailWizard

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 21:22:
Cutter wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 13:49:

these patent lawsuits are so ridiculous and literally out of control i don't see how the current system can be allowed to stand. but knowing america, i'm sure we'll instead simply find a way to make it workable and let the industry stagnate as a result.

Look at how many effing politicians are effing lawyers. They don't want it to change because this is how they get rich. They could care less if it's bad for everyone and everything else so long as they get theirs. This is the major problem overall in America.

Lincoln:

“We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing its end. It has cost a vast amount of treasure and blood … It has indeed been a trying hour for the Republic; but I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless.”

Damn, Lincoln was pretty smart. He was also ugly as sin, which is why he'd never be elected today. People will probably laugh at that, but I think it's true.

I was watching Back to the Future yesterday and a line the Doc says really struck me. The one where he asks Marty who the president was, and Marty replied Ronald Reagan. The Doc says "The actor!? Of course! With all the cameras in the future it makes sense!"

But this also ties into another theory of mine that I came up with in recent years. There are no more ugly actors/resess. This is why 90% of movies and TV shows are about as exciting as watching golf. They hire based on NOTHING but looks alone. Sure once in a while they get lucky and get someone that has both personality and charisma, but it is rare as fuck.

5. Re: Three days after suing Apple, Google says patent wars hurt consumers Aug 22, 2012, 00:35 Nucas

Beamer wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 12:55:
I agree. Which is why I don't condemn Mitt Romney for whatever taxes he paid and don't see a point to proving his tax rate.

You can hate rules yet still play by them. It's about whether you manage to change those rules.
i'm not sure i understand the correlation. "the rules" being "the tax rate" and mitt romeny's hatred being his rich person's prerogative to game the system with his wealth? wouldn't that make him the apple in this analogy? i'm lost.

4. Re: Three days after suing Apple, Google says patent wars hurt consumers Aug 21, 2012, 21:22 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 13:49:

Look at how many effing politicians are effing lawyers. They don't want it to change because this is how they get rich. They could care less if it's bad for everyone and everything else so long as they get theirs. This is the major problem overall in America.

Lincoln:

3. Re: Three days after suing Apple, Google says patent wars hurt consumers Aug 21, 2012, 13:49 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Three days after suing Apple, Google says patent wars hurt consumers Aug 21, 2012, 12:55 Beamer

I agree. Which is why I don't condemn Mitt Romney for whatever taxes he paid and don't see a point to proving his tax rate.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Three days after suing Apple, Google says patent wars hurt consumers Aug 21, 2012, 12:50 Nucas

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo