Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed

The Diablo III Website announces a new Paragon system for Diablo III which will add new endgame content to Diablo III when the version 1.04 patch goes live for the action/RPG sequel, which is currently expected by the end of this month. This will add 100 paragon levels to player development with new stat and magic find rewards. There's also this forum post outlining how the auction house will be changed in the new version. Here's the outline of how the new Paragon system will work:

• After you hit level 60, any further experience you earn from killing monsters will begin to count toward Paragon levels
  • There are 100 Paragon levels
  • Every Paragon level will reward you with:
    • Core stats such as Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Vitality in amounts similar to what you’d gain from a normal level
    • 3% Magic Find and 3% Gold Find
  • In addition, a distinctive increasingly-impressive border will surround your character portrait in the in-game party frame to denote your Paragon progression, with a new frame earned after every ten levels. Your Paragon level will also be visible to other players wherever your normal level is shown

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

29. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 18:30 Dades

1.04? This sounds more like Diablo 3 1.0 finally.

And, in the end, the big issue I have with it, is the extra magic find just means finding more trash... I hated how much of an inventory 'mini game' Titan Quest/Torchlight were (I don't remember D2 being as bad, but my 'youth' (and rampant obsessing) may be affecting that).

Titan Quest had an auto-sort button and Torchlight had pets that ran items you didn't want to town for money. You spent more time in your bags in those games because you were weighing the items value to your character whereas in D3 you knew 99.9% of what you find will be useless.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2012, 18:38.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 18:10 Alpaca San

Tumbler wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:59:

Maybe there is a barb out there screaming with rage because he keeps getting wizard armor and all I need to do is find him and dump all my stupid barbarian weapons and shit on him and I will get all the wizard crap he ends up with.

Ha ha. Appropriate example. My normal group is with my two cousins, sorc, monk and DH and so we don't have a barbarian. Going through Act 3 one time, we all found about 5-6 barbarian only items in a row... we have a competition each act to see who could find the worst item (best useless, like +150 Int on a barbarian gloves). I actually may still be wearing a +Int wrist guard one of them found.

27. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 18:02 Pyloff

MattyC wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:06:
Exactly, though oddly most of the people complaining about it really claimed to have loved D1 & D2. It was always an item drop hunt (or ladder grind if that was your thing). Not sure what games these people played, but they certainly weren't Diablo titles.

I played D2 for the random.

The game was fun because I could get lost in a dungeon and be rewarded for it. Accidentally hitting a barrel would provide an item that was invaluable. Or finding a weird combination of skills on a boss I would split the pack and work them down (these days called kiting). They built a game that was fun in itself, not an afterthought.

The current blizzard model is to piecemeal out an experience while catering to the topper or rather the end game enthusist. The game industry is too fond of their elite players, and the top tier end game enthuists. Those folks drive the media and blogs turning the actual content that was enjoyable into a race to see who could bypass it the quickest. D3 is a product of that mentality. Carefully crafting a game that would "setup the players for an endgame that is longlasting and relationally worthwhile".

I'm not one of those players and hence I don't play online competitively anymore. I prefer to enjoy a game; avoid walkthroughs and spoilers and really involve myself in the storyline.

Sorry for the wall of text, but D3 team has proven they wanted to be very conservitave in their itemization. They go to such lengths to dribble out mathematic facts about the engine and logic they used to determine gameplay. This is a smoke screen for the fact that they unveiled a marketplace and are very worried about the $$$ that roll in. They were not creating a trade space to benefit the player. This was a viable source of income that would make them all rich. Maybe they were in the first revision but now it is just the waterfall model.

26. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 17:59 Tumbler

Played through D3 3.5 times, and I have found exactly 3 interesting items, and I'm wearing none of them since they were all for other classes.

Playing in SP and getting drops for everything but your class really makes it hard to want to keep playing.

Anyone see improved drops in co-op mode? Seems like the game is specifically aimed at dropping things you can't use. If you play co-op does it just drop more of stuff you both can't use or does the loot end up being better for both, or all, in the co-op match?

Maybe there is a barb out there screaming with rage because he keeps getting wizard armor and all I need to do is find him and dump all my stupid barbarian weapons and shit on him and I will get all the wizard crap he ends up with.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

25. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 17:55 MattyC

Alpaca San wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:39:
Exactly, though oddly most of the people complaining about it really claimed to have loved D1 & D2. It was always an item drop hunt (or ladder grind if that was your thing). Not sure what games these people played, but they certainly weren't Diablo titles.

If you are implying that the quality, frequency, and fun factor of the drops in Diablo 3 approaches the quality, frequency, and fun factor of drops in Diablo 1&2, you certainly have never played an earlier Diablo title.

Played through D3 3.5 times, and I have found exactly 3 interesting items, and I'm wearing none of them since they were all for other classes. I bought my current gear at the shop since I could not survive any longer with the gear I have found. I have had >150% MF most of the time I'm playing.

TL2 might come out soon!

What? I was responding to people asking for an 'endgame'.

As for the items, they know they are bad and they are fixing it. That said, good items found in any Diablo game are always for the other classes. It is the unbreakable rule of Diablo... or was that just my luck?

24. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 17:53 Jdrez

Why do all you entitled little s**ts think you're owed an end game? It's a single player game, the END GAME is when the game freaking ends after you kill Diablo.

Quit whining and move on with your life, or go play WoW if you expected D3 to be a sequel to that.

christ

23. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 17:39 Alpaca San

If you are implying that the quality, frequency, and fun factor of the drops in Diablo 3 approaches the quality, frequency, and fun factor of drops in Diablo 1&2, you certainly have never played an earlier Diablo title.

Played through D3 3.5 times, and I have found exactly 3 interesting items, and I'm wearing none of them since they were all for other classes. I bought my current gear at the shop since I could not survive any longer with the gear I have found. I have had >150% MF most of the time I'm playing.

TL2 might come out soon!

22. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 17:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

If that experience chart(unofficial) is at all correct, I will never even come close to Paragon 100, or probably even Paragon 5. I do like the preview changes for the rest of patch 1.04 though, and I'll probably keep playing D3 on and off as new patches catch my eye, etc.

This paragon system isn't the worst thing that's ever been done in Diablo 3, but the sheer scope of the grind involved means it will likely have almost no actual effect on me or what gear my characters wear. My barbarian has the most MF of all my guys, at around 240% pre-NV. No danger of hitting the cap anytime soon.

21. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 17:32 Cutter

Flatline wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:27:
Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:03:
So the new endgame is... grind 100 more levels?

Creston

Holy crap. They just raised the level cap by 100???

*boggle*palmface*

Yeah, Blizzard, the shark has been jumped. Nice knowing you.

Spot on, old sock.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

20. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 17:25 Wallshadows

I think the reason why some players are a little miffed by these Paragon level is the fact that without an attributes/skill point system, it's still a somewhat static experience where you don't actually out-level the mobs like you did in the previous titles.

In Diablo 2, you could continue to pump points and build your character tree until level 99 whereas Diablo 3 will throw about one items worth of stat points when you hit level 100 and provide no change to your skills. You're essentially working towards a slightly more overpowered version of yourself which boils down to taking one or two more hits from Inferno Act 3+ mobs. Even if you're Paragon level 100, there is very little significance within those 100 levels because a) stat points per level suck in D3 and b) they still out level you. The GF/MF is another thing altogether.

If they just threw in 39 more actual levels rather than keep the cap and have alternate levels with tweaking the stats per level, it would provide an entirely different flow which would be comparable to that of D2 but that would probably break something.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2012, 17:31.

19. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 17:23 Alamar

Always scary posting in D3 threads when not conforming... but... I like this change... And think it's exactly what a lot of D2 diehards have been asking for... What other reason was there to lvl to 99 other than to say it's done?

For me, I like levelling... But what I like about levelling is getting new stuff, and getting stronger (a mathematical illusion nonetheless), so I'm not sure how appealing this will be for me. On the one hand, if I continue to play, I'll be getting something out of it... On the other, it's not much... But it could be enough to bypass some gear-restricted hurdles (not sure how much those stat increases will matter).

And, in the end, the big issue I have with it, is the extra magic find just means finding more trash... I hated how much of an inventory 'mini game' Titan Quest/Torchlight were (I don't remember D2 being as bad, but my 'youth' (and rampant obsessing) may be affecting that).

Edit: I'm also eating from a bag of fresh sour keys, so that may skew my mood (and therefore opinions) positively : )

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2012, 17:34.

18. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 17:07 mag

briktal wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:36:

Creston

Isn't this what many people were asking for?

Uh. Yeah. I thought people were bitching that there were only 60 levels.

17. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 17:06 MattyC

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:59:

Creston

By going always online and shit they seemed to make people think this is an MMO, but it's not is it? I don't know why people expected an "endgame" in the first place.

16. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 16:59 StingingVelvet

Creston

By going always online and shit they seemed to make people think this is an MMO, but it's not is it? I don't know why people expected an "endgame" in the first place.

15. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 16:43 panbient

Great... so 100 more meaningless levels since you can't actually customize or do anything to your character as it progresses.

What was the actual point of that initial grind if it just placed you on the exact same plateau as everyone else who made it up to the level cap? If that's the actual starting line what's the point of grinding through the warm up? The gear was the only -player controlled- distinction so leveling up is essentially superficial.

Thanks for another 100 levels of useless dings? Did Jay Wilson learn game design at DeVry or something? Pathetic.

So glad I still have Titan Quest installed.

14. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 16:40 Optional nickname

normal monsters will be tougher, the junk rate will drop 4x fold, the agony of identifying one item at a time will break many ...

... to the RMAH at once! step right up folks, for your glittering new Legendary items (cough exclusively injected wheeze cough by cough Blizzard hhhack)

Blizzard: mission accomplished, clearly, much time was delayed to release Diablo 3 with a major flowchart in the design process on how to do crowd and mind control for the masses that will still play this game to no end... oh the story! but what about this pitiful story that's still in the game, unchanged!

sigh.

Blues, please look into the development of Generals2, I am itching to know more about that game, how is it coming along, please send the dev team a hug magnum of donuts on me, I want to know all the speal!

13. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 16:36 briktal

Creston

Isn't this what many people were asking for?

12. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 16:34 Wallshadows

nin wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:23:
How many boars is that?

About 190,080,000 Docile Island Boars or 76,309,489 Rockhide Boars, give or take a Piglet.

11. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 16:27 SimplyMonk

peteham wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:21:
Ref the exp chart on diablofans.com, that's 10,454,400,000 exp from level 1 to 100.:
- 8,167,500 Inferno Dust Imps.
- 6,534,000 Inferno Hulking Phase Beasts.

Let me get right on that. Oh, on second thought, I'll pass.. If there was any doubt this game was being staffed and developed by retards, that doubt is now gone. What a horribly, horribly misguided attempt at making the game fun to play. Just boggles the mind..

+EXP items are gonna be the new MF now, I suppose.

<takes the cheap shot>

"Wait! But after this we are going to add Transmog so you can preserve your character's look... and 'Looking for Raid' so that you can beat those Elite packs you can't kill on your own... and Pokemon! Everyone loves Pokemon! PANDAS! SO KAWAII! Just stop posting negative stuff in the forums about us. It makes us sad. Sad pandas."

Excuse me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't there some "pet" mechanic in the Beta?

10. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 16:27 Flatline

Creston

Holy crap. They just raised the level cap by 100???

*boggle*palmface*

Yeah, Blizzard, the shark has been jumped. Nice knowing you.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo