Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year

PopCap Games announces a Plants vs. Zombies sequel is in the works, and they expect to release the real-time strategy follow-up next year, offering "hordes of new plant and zombie types and mulch more." Here's word:

PopCap Games, maker of some of the world’s most popular video game franchises and a division of EA, today announced that the underground growth of the sequel to Plants vs. Zombies™, one of the world’s most popular video games, is germinating and advancing with rigor.

The sequel to Plants vs. Zombies is expected to launch by late spring 2013, and will include a bevy of new features, settings, and situations, designed to delight the franchise’s tens of millions of fans around the world. No other details of the highly anticipated new installment in the franchise are available at this time, beyond the following comments from some of the game’s denizens.

“Spring is crullest curlie ungood time, and plantz grow dull roots,” noted an unidentified spokesperson. “So, we are meating you for brainz at yore house. No worry to skedule schedlue plan… we're freee anytime. We'll find you.”

“There was a time we relished a bracing, hearty blend of zombies, in the morning,” said Sonny F. Lower, a representative of the Flora Forever Foundation. “But first, a brisk shower and some strategic pruning are required. Tomorrow is near!”

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 21, 2012, 14:22 mch

And there you go - PopCap hit with international layoffs.  
PSN: CaseDesignate
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 21, 2012, 12:12 Dev

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 09:22:
My concern is that the sequel won't make it to Steam now that EA has bought PopCap. If it's not on Steam I'm not interested.
Yikes, I didn't think about that.

33. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 21, 2012, 09:22 theyarecomingforyou

My concern is that the sequel won't make it to Steam now that EA has bought PopCap. If it's not on Steam I'm not interested. Also, it's annoying that PvZ supports Steam Cloud but Bejeweled 3 doesn't.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

32. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 21, 2012, 01:21 Creston

Prez wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 22:53:
This awesome post would not be out of place on a gardening website. Is this Bluesnews or HGTV.com for chrissake???

Hey man, whatever keeps those damn zombies off my lawn!

Creston

31. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 22:53 Prez

Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 15:59:

PvZ is way way way too easy, and yeah, I ROCK at Defense Grid. I was in the top 100 on all maps before the cheaters started going nuts.

As for the roof, it's pretty simple. Sunflower, Sunflower, Sunflower, Sunflower. By this point the zombie is near your first flower pot. Squash for the Zombie. Sunflower. Now another zombie shows up. Plant a catapult in the same row. Flower pot, Sunflower. Plant another catapult if the zombie is in another row, or a corn thrower if the new zombie is in the same row.

Keep building out flower pots and sunflowers until you have three rows of sunflowers, one row of catapults and one row of corn throwers. Then start swapping out the last row of sunflowers for melon pults.

So eventually it looks like this

C - corn - melon - sun - sun

Walls are optional. I usually never bother unless the game randomly picks them for me. Flowers are actually cheap walls that pay themselves off in a hurry, so I tend to just keep planting those. Works just as well.

The roof levels are dead easy. You don't need umbrella plants. Yeah, the bungee zombies are annoying, but oh well. They take a plant, you immediately plant it back again. And the basketball throwers typically die before they ever do any damage. And even IF they do, it costs 100 sun to replace the catapult. *shrug*

The only annoying level is the bonus one where you only get chompers. I fucking HATE that level. I've never actually failed at it, despite playing it at least 50 times, but I just hate it. It's no fun.

Creston

This awesome post would not be out of place on a gardening website. Is this Bluesnews or HGTV.com for chrissake???

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 21:17 siapnar

Dev wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 20:42:
Then you are the first guy I've sent that link to who doesn't like it.
Wet blankets don't tend to soak in anything very well.

I have projectile dysfunction.

29. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 20:42 Dev

fawker wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:06:
On a sad note, pop cap hasn't come up with anything new in a long time. Now the get a sequel? I won't say it's not warranted, but EA's kiss of death has gotten every developer so far.
That has nothing to do with EA, they are a pretty slow developer.
It took a number of years after insaniquarium to get PvZ out. If EA sticks their boot in, you'll probably see much increased release schedule (dunno if that will be a good thing or bad thing)

PHJF wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 15:33:
If you don't do anything else with PvZ (maybe you hate that kinda game), at least watch the title music, its so great, love the lyrics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ

That was awful and you should feel awful.
Then you are the first guy I've sent that link to who doesn't like it.

28. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 19:18 Dades

I hope EA hasn't ruined these guys creatively.  

27. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 18:54 Evil Timmy

The biggest trick I've found is using garlic effectively. Funnel all the zombies into fewer rows and your economy works much better, as you can narrow five lanes down to two, or six into three. Make the garlic 2-3 deep for easy management, and you can plant a bunch of sunflowers safely behind your garlic rows. Combine that with watermelons (even better with the freeze upgrade) and you're doing a lot of damage to multiple zombies with each shot.

The sequel will almost certainly be a Steam pre-order, as the brilliant minds at PopCap rarely disappoint, and PvZ has that awesome balance of casual accessibility and pretty hardcore depth and strategy.

26. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 16:09 jdreyer

Alamar wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 14:50:
First off, I think it's awesomely ironic so many 'hardcore' PC gamers are raving over a casual title : )

It may be billed as casual and made by a casual company and have cute graphics, but it's a pretty deep strategy game. An order of magnitude deeper than Peggle and Bejeweled.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

25. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 16:06 fawker

Just wanted to say that I am the proud owner of the Nobel Peas Prize. It's a gold trophy you get for beating the campaign, and all the mini games, puzzles, and survival levels.

This is probably my only opportune moment to brag, I have no regrets taking it. I don't even like achievements, but for some reason, I do in this game.

On a sad note, pop cap hasn't come up with anything new in a long time. Now the get a sequel? I won't say it's not warranted, but EA's kiss of death has gotten every developer so far.

24. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 16:03 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 12:37:
PvZ was absolutely perfect. So perfect that I wonder what a sequel could even do. Add more or longer rows maybe?

Well, George Fan is a pretty awesome game designer. I can't wait to see what he's come up with for PvZ2. Strange no mention of his name in the blurb. George Fan is involved, isn't he? ISN'T HE?!?!?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

23. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 15:59 Creston

Bet wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 14:44:
Frijoles wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 11:45:
nin wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 10:19:
I could never get past the last set of levels, when you're on the roof...

Whenever I got stuck, I'd give it to my 5 year old. I don't know how, but he managed to finish the game. Trial and error (dozens of times) appears to be the solution.
Just out of curiosity, are are either of you good at Defense Grid? Wondering if the Tower Defense skillset is why it's so bizarrely easy for most people I know. I think I got through the campaign 3 times in the first day (it was like caffeine, couldn't sleep).

Key to roof levels was artillery (first corn, then watermelons) on the back end and those umbrella-leaf plants that protect from the bungee zombies/thrown guys.

Every plant has a purpose, which is why I've wondered since that fateful day...how could they ever do a sequel and introduce new plants? There were already a few useless ones, so anything they add will just be overpowered or useless.

PvZ is way way way too easy, and yeah, I ROCK at Defense Grid. I was in the top 100 on all maps before the cheaters started going nuts.

As for the roof, it's pretty simple. Sunflower, Sunflower, Sunflower, Sunflower. By this point the zombie is near your first flower pot. Squash for the Zombie. Sunflower. Now another zombie shows up. Plant a catapult in the same row. Flower pot, Sunflower. Plant another catapult if the zombie is in another row, or a corn thrower if the new zombie is in the same row.

Keep building out flower pots and sunflowers until you have three rows of sunflowers, one row of catapults and one row of corn throwers. Then start swapping out the last row of sunflowers for melon pults.

So eventually it looks like this

Walls are optional. I usually never bother unless the game randomly picks them for me. Flowers are actually cheap walls that pay themselves off in a hurry, so I tend to just keep planting those. Works just as well.

The roof levels are dead easy. You don't need umbrella plants. Yeah, the bungee zombies are annoying, but oh well. They take a plant, you immediately plant it back again. And the basketball throwers typically die before they ever do any damage. And even IF they do, it costs 100 sun to replace the catapult. *shrug*

The only annoying level is the bonus one where you only get chompers. I fucking HATE that level. I've never actually failed at it, despite playing it at least 50 times, but I just hate it. It's no fun.

Creston

22. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 15:49 Bet

Yakubs wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 15:30:
First off, I think it's awesomely ironic so many 'hardcore' PC gamers are raving over a casual title : )

Hah, yeah. I mean, I played the game on my phone during my commute. I can't imagine spending my actual free time playing it versus other more interesting games.
You do realize that it was out for a year before they released it for iOS, right?

21. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 15:41 theyarecomingforyou

The final levels are more challenging but I've completed them several times without any major issues. I still found them enjoyable and playing through the second time is just as entertaining.

Steam shows that I've played it for over 50hrs.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

20. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 15:33 PHJF

If you don't do anything else with PvZ (maybe you hate that kinda game), at least watch the title music, its so great, love the lyrics:

That was awful and you should feel awful.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 15:30 Yakubs

Hah, yeah. I mean, I played the game on my phone during my commute. I can't imagine spending my actual free time playing it versus other more interesting games.

18. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 14:57 Dev

Not only did I buy PvZ for myself, and a few others on steam, but I bought the collectors edition with the included zombie figure.

I've made a zombie avatar too (used to be a free zombatar flash tool on their website to make one, looks like they removed it since it was added to the game).

Free flash version of PvZ to try if you haven't played it yet:
http://www.popcap.com/games/plants-vs-zombies/online

17. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 14:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well shit. I've already bought like 10-12 games this year, with several more probable purchases. Adding this one to the top of the heap, unless the sequel is truly uninspired.

16. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 14:50 Alamar

Secondly... PvZ2 will include always online DRM with a built in seed/flower auction house and paid DLC plants : )

-Alamar

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo