Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Iron Sky Game Plans

A video game is in development to tie-in with Iron Sky, reports The Hollywood Reporter, saying this adaptation of this sci-fi comedy film from Finnish director Timo Vuorensola described as "Nazis on the moon." is expected this November for Windows, OS X, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 from Polish developer Reality Pump and publisher TopWare, a German company, which is a bit of surprise given Germany's general unwillingness to allow the use of Nazi symbols in media such as video games. Here's word:

The game will follow the pulp fiction plot of the film, in which a colony of Nazis living on the dark side of the moon begin an invasion of the earth. Players will act as a space pilot in the intergalactic battle, joining forces with either the Nazi invaders or earth's defense force. The Polish studio Reality Pump will develop the game for Topware. Samuli Torssonen, visual effects supervisor on the film, will provide visual effects for the game through his Helsinki-based Troll studio.

Iron Sky Invasion will be available for Mac, PC, XBox 360 and PlayStation 3 and Topware said it plans to release both a standard edition for around €40 - €50 ($50 - $62) and a special "Gotterdammerung" edition for between €60 - €70 ($74 - $86).

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 21, 2012, 08:38 nin

I got some of the gamepad controls working through the launcher that starts up first. But it was weird that some of the controls were bound while others weren't, yet the gamepad screen in the game implies you're good to go from the start.

I'll give it some more time, but it wasn't the best first impression...and the voice acting...holy fuck.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 21, 2012, 04:22 Rigs

nin wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 21:53:
This comes out tomorrow...

edit: aaaand just got my key from GMG...preloading!

edit again: Ouch, I pull my endorsement...good news: it's somehow playable tonight, bad news: gamepad controls are a wreck. Patch please!

Ouch is right. I'm not impressed for a number of reasons, most due to my OCD...lol...and the plot? Sounds damn near exactly like X: Beyond The Frontier's original story....hmmm....

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

12. Re: Iron Sky Game Plans Aug 20, 2012, 21:53 nin

ViRGE wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 21:22:
Am I right in assuming this is going to be a space sim? In which case they have my attention.

This comes out tomorrow...

edit: aaaand just got my key from GMG...preloading!

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2012, 22:23.

edit again: Ouch, I pull my endorsement...good news: it's somehow playable tonight, bad news: gamepad controls are a wreck. Patch please!

11. Re: Iron Sky Game Plans Aug 20, 2012, 21:22 ViRGE

Am I right in assuming this is going to be a space sim? In which case they have my attention.  

10. Re: Iron Sky Game Plans Aug 20, 2012, 14:38 theyarecomingforyou

I genuinely enjoyed the movie. It was obviously over the top but it made some very astute political observations, while being incredibly funny/amusing. The production quality and direction was excellent - a lot better than I expected for an indie film. It's quite refreshing to have a film so critical of the US.

I'm interested to see what they do with a game, though I can't say my expectations are particularly high.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

9. Re: It's a terrible movie. Aug 20, 2012, 14:04 Lukin

Having given up on the Wing Commander movie fairly early on, take this with a grain of salt...

Producing and directing are not the same thing. And, even if they were, I wouldn't put the The Punisher or Lord of War on a pedestal. Lord of War was mediocre and The Punisher...not good.

IMDB says he produced "Lucky Number Slevin" which was surprisingly good. All of these comments from me, opinions.

Typical Hollywood crap also allows filmmakers who don't make blockbusters on their first attempt to continue working. A blessing and a curse. I've seen a couple of interviews with Damon Lindelof, who is credited with writing Prometheus, and he seems a likeable guy. But, even though he is very pragmatic about the reception of that film, I still think his writing was the primary problem.

My point, you probably shouldn't be pithy about someone not examining the facts when the discussion is more about opinions. Also, that you met the guy and liked him might mean you are a bit biased.

8. Re: Iron Sky Game Plans Aug 20, 2012, 13:36 Ozmodan

Nazis on the moon huh. Have to wonder how they come up with such a silly plot. Why not green worms or purple people eaters.  

7. Re: Iron Sky Game Plans Aug 20, 2012, 12:57 Cutter

Yeah, it was one of those films that wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. It was definitely nothing memorable. For a good B flick I just caught Lone Hero on the TV with Lou Diamond Phillips the other night, much better than I thought it'd be.

I also caught a fantastic Jackie Chan flick Little Big Soldier which was a Chinese film. Great script - written by Jackie - pacing and cinematography too. If you get a chance, make sure to watch it. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: It's a terrible movie. Aug 20, 2012, 12:53 John

Darks wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 11:52:
Did you know that the movie was supposed to be about 45 mins longer? And the XO was actually a hidden spy working with the Kilrathi? Which would also explain his hatred towards Blair, but we never really get to see that evolve. All of that got cut out because of time, money and the typical Hollywood crap that always goes along with it.
If that's the case he should have released a "Director's Cut" version which included the 45 mins that were cut out.

This space is available for rent

5. Re: It's a terrible movie. Aug 20, 2012, 11:52 Darks

Kajetan wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 11:34:
hb3d wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 11:16:
I really wanted to like the movie given its independent funding and development including fan-funding initiatives, but oh is it a terrible movie.
Terrible? No. Dissapointing? Yes. Its like the Wing Commander movie from Chris Roberts. Roberts did a very good job with all those live action scenes in the games, but he was clearly not competent enough for making a full blown movie.

Actually you would be wrong about his directing skills; I had the pleasure of meeting Chris several years ago at E3 and talked to him about the movie.

Did you know that the movie was supposed to be about 45 mins longer? And the XO was actually a hidden spy working with the Kilrathi? Which would also explain his hatred towards Blair, but we never really get to see that evolve. All of that got cut out because of time, money and the typical Hollywood crap that always goes along with it.

Did you know that he also produced the first Punisher Movie? And he also produced the Nickolas cage move Lord of War where he’s a gun runner.

Funny, how people criticize when they don’t know all the facts.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

4. Re: It's a terrible movie. Aug 20, 2012, 11:34 Kajetan

hb3d wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 11:16:
I really wanted to like the movie given its independent funding and development including fan-funding initiatives, but oh is it a terrible movie.
Terrible? No. Dissapointing? Yes. Its like the Wing Commander movie from Chris Roberts. Roberts did a very good job with all those live action scenes in the games, but he was clearly not competent enough for making a full blown movie.

That said, "Star Wreck - In the Pirkinning" was an excellent fan movie, but the people behind it clearly are lacking the writing talent for a more serious and bigger movie. The story had plotholes from the size of the "Götterdämmerung", the dialogue was terrible and most of the time not remotely funny. The only good gag: President Palin being angry at the other countries for violating the space peace treaty, having their own combat ships ready after proudly announcing the american space combat ship "George W Bush".

Concerning the effects: Did you see Star Wreck? Unbelievable! Gigantic space battles and indoor fire fights with lasers and explosions and sparkles and light balls and green screen and matte paintings. Effects you would expect from a multimillion dollar production, but not from some finnish IT geeks, rendering away in their mothers basement.

3. Re: Iron Sky Game Plans Aug 20, 2012, 11:27 Wallshadows

The movie is fucking weird and deserves its own genre. That said, there were times when I thought it was funny and other times where I thought it was just the most awful film I've seen in a long time. Even for a film which never takes itself serious, there are moments when you just want to bury your face in to your hands and wonder what they were thinking.

It has underlying social commentary and such but the only way you'll really get anything from it is to see it with an incredibly open-mind.

2. It's a terrible movie. Aug 20, 2012, 11:16 hb3d

I really wanted to like the movie given its independent funding and development including fan-funding initiatives, but oh is it a terrible movie. Yes, I know it's supposed to be satire, but it's still awful and downright painful to watch. Even if it wants to be in on the joke, it's still a really bad joke. Even the parody of the Hitler Internet meme in it, which is one of the only bright spots, could have been done better. If you haven't seen the movie, you can find the full thing on YouTube if you search for it.

The only thing remorely worth watching in the movie are the CGI scenes especially the space battle scenes which are astonishingly good when consider how low budget the movie is (~7 million euros). Given what the CGI artists were able to do on that budget they could definitely make a good looking video game. Just don't use any of the movie's writers for the game's script or dialog.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2012, 11:46.

1. Re: Iron Sky Game Plans Aug 20, 2012, 10:17 nin

Never came to the theaters here, dammit. Looked like a riot...at least it'll be on disc in a few months (Oct it looks like here in the states).

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo