Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 21, 2012, 20:50 eRe4s3r

Ah thanks for the links..

If its low flying sat there is probably not much to be gained by this...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 21, 2012, 15:05 mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 02:58:
I would be curious to know how strong the sender signal had to be and what bandwidth it had. I am always shocked how little REAL technical information these pseudo science articles have. Even though it'd be extremely interesting to read how exactly it was done. In the end, I am not sure why they don't shot a com satellite into mars orbit first.... surely I am not the first to think that? Wouldn't that make communication far easier? And wouldn't that be mandatory for communication of huge data volumes (ie, light based burst communication?). Or are they seriously sending this data over a long band radio frequency?

While Curiosity can phone home directly, Mars Odyssey is also used for communications.

I think this vid explains why they don't rely on that kinda thing, though, indirectly. Lots more possible points of failure.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 21, 2012, 02:58 eRe4s3r

I would be curious to know how strong the sender signal had to be and what bandwidth it had. I am always shocked how little REAL technical information these pseudo science articles have. Even though it'd be extremely interesting to read how exactly it was done. In the end, I am not sure why they don't shot a com satellite into mars orbit first.... surely I am not the first to think that? Wouldn't that make communication far easier? And wouldn't that be mandatory for communication of huge data volumes (ie, light based burst communication?). Or are they seriously sending this data over a long band radio frequency?  

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2012, 20:11 LittleMe

Grendle wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:54:
I concur. Can you imagine the noise and corruption of the signal 160 million miles would have? They could have bricked it.

Error detection & correction of the data isn't the main hurdle.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2012, 17:54 Grendle

I concur. Can you imagine the noise and corruption of the signal 160 million miles would have? They could have bricked it.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2012, 16:58 jdreyer

I agree Major D. So far, this mission has been an unqualified success. The team at NASA has done an outstanding job one of the most complicated missions they've ever attempted.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2012, 13:15 MajorD

It is absolutely amazing that they were able to not only get the Curiosity Rover safely and successfully into the atmosphere of Mars, but onto the surface, booted up, running, and functioning as well. With all the research, calculations, and countless scenarios, with a myriad of variables in the mix, there is only so many scenarios you can theorize and simulate here on Earth for a successful mission, and they have been successful thus far.

The pictures Curiosity is sending back to Earth, from Mars that is 160,000,000+ miles away are fascinating to see and examine. And then they turn around and conduct a 160,000,000 mile remote software update!

NASA and all their brilliant Scientists and Engineers never cease to amaze me!!! So, many hats off to those master minds behind it, and all those that made it a successful mission thus far.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2012, 00:35.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo