Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

MrsBlue is off to her new job today, and with no ties remaining to Disney, I no longer have a potential conflict of interest to disclaim related to reporting Disney-related game news. With their disinterest in the PC platform there was nothing to be conflicted over during that span anyway, but it makes life easier for everybody if there's no potential for that to worry about. She is back with a more traditional book publisher now, so there is no gaming connection to acknowledge going forward.

R.I.P.: British director Tony Scott dead after jumping from California bridge.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Meadow Adventure.
Decision 2: New City.
Links: 19 Asian Tattoo FAILS.
Stories: A 63-year-old engineer is Japan's 'last ninja'.
Science: Microbes manipulate your mind.
Coffee good for you, but it's OK to hold back.
Thomas Kuhn: the man who changed the way the world looked at science.
Media: Metal Gear Solid meets Nyan Cat. And Making of...
Close Call at a Rally Race.
The director's cut of real life in NYC.

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

66. Re: removed Aug 21, 2012, 10:08 Beamer

RailWizard wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 09:36:
Cutter wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 20:51:
SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 20:06:
Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 18:16:
What we really need is Futurama's suicide booths. Your choice of quick, slow, painless, agonizing, and the added bonus of someone making a profit off of it. ;P

Oddly enough, after laughing at this statement, I found I was completely OK with the real world implementation of suicide booths. Maybe "OK" is the wrong word. Curious as to what the repercussions of such a venture would be is perhaps more accurate.

EDIT: That brief period of curiosity led, as always, to Wikipedia

With the overpopulation and resource shortages only getting worse every day forget suicide booths soon we'll need Carousel from Logan's Run.

That is such a load of shit. There are no shortages other than intentional ones. It says a lot that you believe this.

Wouldn't that depend on what resource we're discussing? Unless that's a supply of rare earth metals in your pocket and you're not just happy to see Cutter.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. Re: removed Aug 21, 2012, 09:36 RailWizard

What we really need is Futurama's suicide booths. Your choice of quick, slow, painless, agonizing, and the added bonus of someone making a profit off of it. ;P

Oddly enough, after laughing at this statement, I found I was completely OK with the real world implementation of suicide booths. Maybe "OK" is the wrong word. Curious as to what the repercussions of such a venture would be is perhaps more accurate.

With the overpopulation and resource shortages only getting worse every day forget suicide booths soon we'll need Carousel from Logan's Run.

That is such a load of shit. There are no shortages other than intentional ones. It says a lot that you believe this.

64. Re: removed Aug 21, 2012, 07:23 Julio

Beamer wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:33:
Just because they're in a bad place doesn't excuse them from putting other people in a similar place needlessly.

True - though I don't think he landed on anyone.

63. Re: removed Aug 21, 2012, 04:57 netnerd85

*gasp* I love Logan's Run!

62. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 20:51 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

61. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 20:06 SimplyMonk

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2012, 20:12.

60. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 19:41 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 18:00:
But then you have things like this. Or, as mentioned, the train conductor that has to go home at night and think about the guy who jumped in front of him. People have occasionally chosen suicide-by-cop, and think about the counseling the cop needs after that.

Just because they're in a bad place doesn't excuse them from putting other people in a similar place needlessly.

I'm not excusing it. I'm making the point that it's unreasonable to expect suicidal people to behave rationally. I'm sure there are those who do consider it and choose a way that has minimal impact. Then there are those who are wholly consumed with ending their lives as to be unable to think of anything else. And there are even those who intentionally commit suicide in a public and spectacular way BECAUSE of the impact it will have and the news it will generate.

I think people committing suicide to make a point are entirely exempt from this.

Also, to whomever pointed out guilty by reason of insanity, not really what happened to the guy in the article I linked, no?

Listen, I'm not saying we should condemn people committing suicide because they caused a train conductor to be awake for weeks on end just remembering the kid that jumped in front of him. But, given that suicide is a problem, I do think we should encourage people to think about all the ways that their choice ripples around them
And I supported Kevorkian. What can I say?

-------------

59. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 18:16 Agent.X7

What we really need is Futurama's suicide booths. Your choice of quick, slow, painless, agonizing, and the added bonus of someone making a profit off of it.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

58. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 18:02 ASeven

jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 18:00:
But then you have things like this. Or, as mentioned, the train conductor that has to go home at night and think about the guy who jumped in front of him. People have occasionally chosen suicide-by-cop, and think about the counseling the cop needs after that.

I'm not excusing it. I'm making the point that it's unreasonable to expect suicidal people to behave rationally. I'm sure there are those who do consider it and choose a way that has minimal impact. Then there are those who are wholly consumed with ending their lives as to be unable to think of anything else. And there are even those who intentionally commit suicide in a public and spectacular way BECAUSE of the impact it will have and the news it will generate.

Case in point as an example of the latter.

57. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 18:00 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

56. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 17:58 ASeven

Prez wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:30:
The only thing I'd add is that anyone considering suicide to the point of going through with it probably isn't in a state where they can logically choose the method that is best for society as a whole.

Exactly, which is why complaining about someone else's "inconvenience" by the deceased's choice of how it was done seems so petty and classless.

This. When someone decides to do it, no matter how or where, they are now in such a mentality that they no longer care about anything, they just snap and do it, period. Deep depressions, worse if associated with incurable physical illnesses, often make a person simply no longer be aware of anything the moment before he or she does it. They no longer have a grip on themselves, they simply do it to end the pain, taxpayer's money be damned.

The truly sad and horrific thing is that society at large still treats suicide as a fucking taboo and putting the blame of it entirely on the one doing it when they should instead be looking for the warning signs and getting them to help ASAP if it's a depression or just giving them comfort that whatever they do they will always be loved if it's a physical illness that's beyond any cure.

55. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 17:55 SimplyMonk

The insanity defense in certain criminal trials would tend to disagree.

That being said, I get what you are saying, Beamer, but I think it only would apply to people who are thinking rationally and have come to a concrete decision that ending their life is for the best and will save themselves and their family pain/expense. At that point they might consider your words of wisdom, but I think your typical suicide won't have the "good of society" at the forefront of their minds. Who knows what Scott's state of mind was at the time, but belaboring the point now won't do him, his family or society any good.

Unless you mention it so that in case anyone in the forum was considering suicide as a viable option to their problems but were unsure on their chosen method. Should I ever find myself in that position, I'll remember your words. Thanks!

54. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 17:34 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:31:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:13:
This is one of the most profound threads at Blues I've ever read (going on 14 or so years of visiting here). Some great insights here.

The only thing I'd add is that anyone considering suicide to the point of going through with it probably isn't in a state where they can logically choose the method that is best for society as a whole.

RIP Tony. Condolences to the survivors.

Oh fucking ignore Beamer. Jesus, if there ever comes a time I choose to off myself I'm going to make it as big a pain in the ass for society as possible. Fuck society.

RIP: Cutter. He went out of life as he lived it.

Or, to people that like bad metal, his lifestyle reflected his deathstyle.

-------------

53. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 17:33 Beamer

Prez wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:30:

Exactly, which is why complaining about inconveniencing someone else by their choice of how its done seems so petty and classless.

-------------

52. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 17:31 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:13:
This is one of the most profound threads at Blues I've ever read (going on 14 or so years of visiting here). Some great insights here.

Oh fucking ignore Beamer. Jesus, if there ever comes a time I choose to off myself I'm going to make it as big a pain in the ass for society as possible. Fuck society.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

51. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 17:30 Prez

Exactly, which is why complaining about someone else's "inconvenience" by the deceased's choice of how it was done seems so petty and classless.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

50. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 17:29 Cutter

PHJF wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:58:
Suicide is absolutely not black and white, but there are ways to do it that don't have wider implications on a wider audience.

Maybe suicide is SUPPOSED to have a WIDE audience so strangers can EXPLORE what happened and take stock of their OWN lives. Nothing makes a person question life quite like DEATH.

Exactly. What's really selfish and cowardly are people that are so goddamned self-centered and greedy that they'd rather the person they supposedly love stay around suffering just so they don't have to say goodbye. How fucking cowadly and selfish is that? People don't think twice about putting an animal down that's in pain, but heaven forbid if it's a person. Loving someone or something means letting go. You don't have to like it but you have to respect it or you're just a selfish prick. Death comes for us all and the older you get the more you come to know it so you better goddamn get used to it.

As the old Jewish proverb goes...."Say not in grief, "He is no more.", but live in thankfulness that he was."

49. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 17:13 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

48. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 17:08 Beamer

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:01:
Beamer wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:22:
Bet wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:17:
Anytime you involve someone else as the mechanism of your death (train/subway driver, cop), you're scarring them for life as they're left with the guilt of ending you. Even unintentional suicide like people trying to go around the bars on roads out of impatience and not realizing their own stupidity messes up train drivers brains, as they're witnesses to something terrible that they couldn't stop.

I agree with the likes of nin, Agent.X7 and Aseven in this case though. A slow wasting disease will fuck up kids that age for life, as surely as witnessing him blow his brains out would. You'll still need counseling either way. As to how much better/worse a quick suicide is, knowing that your dad ended it on his feet, well that's a grisly debate that hopefully no one here has to weigh for themselves.

Man on Fire was a great movie. Now's a great time for a revenge flick like that if you're upset about this. Remember the man for what he was, not how he ended.

Clip of the movie (spoilers), at 3:20 a scene to change the subject http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRhj6BF2hMA

Apparently they took the non-subtitle white text out of later versions. Talk about gutting an effective creative touch of stylized emphasis of dialogue...

My point is just that there are ways that don't put anyone else in danger, scar them, or otherwise ruin their day. You're absolutely correct about what it must do to the guy operating the train or subway, or the diver that's searching for the body, or the driver that sees the man jump off the bridge.

Suicide is absolutely not black and white, but there are ways to do it that don't have wider implications on a wider audience. I'd still put the Jackie-O suicide as one of the better managed one (which is a privilege she had.) Family crowded around, said goodbye and had their closure, and she slipped off in a painless, clean morphine overdose.

Very true. if you want to end it, do it yourself and don't involve other peoples' lives. A bullet to the noggin'? Go you. Jump in front of a bus? You're a fucker. Sure, the police have to show up either way, but now you've potentially injured dozens on the bus, scarred the driver for life, caused other accidents, etc.

Even a bullet through the noggin'. Someone has to find that. Someone has to clean that up.

We had this kid in elementary school that was pretty much the only bully. He, his mother and his brother went away for a weekend to visit relatives. Came back and the father had committed suicide. A nice, easy, clean way - he closed the garage door with the car running. Except that the family came home, opened the garage door and found him. All 3 of them. That'll screw up any kid. I can't imagine. I guess I can, and I imagine the kids realizing and screaming for him to wake up.

Interestingly, the kid wasn't a bully after that because no one feared him and no one reacted. His family eventually moved and now he's a Sheriff or something in Florida. Sounds right.

-------------

47. Re: removed Aug 20, 2012, 17:01 Agent.X7

Beamer wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:22:
Bet wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:17:
Anytime you involve someone else as the mechanism of your death (train/subway driver, cop), you're scarring them for life as they're left with the guilt of ending you. Even unintentional suicide like people trying to go around the bars on roads out of impatience and not realizing their own stupidity messes up train drivers brains, as they're witnesses to something terrible that they couldn't stop.

I agree with the likes of nin, Agent.X7 and Aseven in this case though. A slow wasting disease will fuck up kids that age for life, as surely as witnessing him blow his brains out would. You'll still need counseling either way. As to how much better/worse a quick suicide is, knowing that your dad ended it on his feet, well that's a grisly debate that hopefully no one here has to weigh for themselves.

Man on Fire was a great movie. Now's a great time for a revenge flick like that if you're upset about this. Remember the man for what he was, not how he ended.

Clip of the movie (spoilers), at 3:20 a scene to change the subject http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRhj6BF2hMA

Apparently they took the non-subtitle white text out of later versions. Talk about gutting an effective creative touch of stylized emphasis of dialogue...

My point is just that there are ways that don't put anyone else in danger, scar them, or otherwise ruin their day. You're absolutely correct about what it must do to the guy operating the train or subway, or the diver that's searching for the body, or the driver that sees the man jump off the bridge.

Suicide is absolutely not black and white, but there are ways to do it that don't have wider implications on a wider audience. I'd still put the Jackie-O suicide as one of the better managed one (which is a privilege she had.) Family crowded around, said goodbye and had their closure, and she slipped off in a painless, clean morphine overdose.

Very true. if you want to end it, do it yourself and don't involve other peoples' lives. A bullet to the noggin'? Go you. Jump in front of a bus? You're a fucker. Sure, the police have to show up either way, but now you've potentially injured dozens on the bus, scarred the driver for life, caused other accidents, etc.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo