Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Cut New Vegas Content

A lengthy post on Rusted Logic has interesting details from a user who has done extensive work to restore content to Fallout New Vegas that was cut by Obsidian during development of the action/RPG sequel. His mods to do so can be found here. The post was first written a couple of weeks ago, offering extensive details on cut content, though it was recently edited it to add a clarification that this is not intended as criticism of the developer. Thanks Acleacius.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2012, 04:56 Jerykk

FO3's writing was awful. It was good to see Bethesda at least trying to offer skill checks during dialogue but they failed to do them well. They also failed to write believable locales or interesting companions. It's like the writers thought "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." but then failed to make the answer a coherent and logical part of the lore and setting.

As mentioned earlier, the only thing FO3 did better than FNV was dungeons and that's only because there was a distinct shortage of dungeons in FNV. The few ones that they had were great. I'm disappointed that Bethesda will be making the next Fallout instead of Obsidian, since I doubt their writing has improved.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 21, 2012, 05:05 Rigs

Thanks for the explanation, guys! I was just under the impression that NV was just a new area in FallOut 3, like an expansion, not a whole different experience. I'll have to check it out now that I know it's not the same thing just in a different area...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 11:06 Rhino

Adding to jimnms comments on becoming overpowered too quickly, it also didn't help, in Fallout 3, that many of the perks raised skills; so not only was I adding to my own skills every level, manually, but I also got a boost to skills with several of the perks. These weren't small increases, either. The Thief perk, which had multiple levels and so could be used more than once, added 10 skill points each time: five to Sneak and five to Lockpick. Gun Nut is another that comes to mind with five points each to Small Guns and Repair. It made not only the game fairly easy, but also removed much of the challenge of balancing one's character to one's play style when the game was doling out skill points fairly readily.

With extremely few exceptions (Educated is the only one that comes to mind, granting 2 extra skill points per level), the perks in New Vegas complemented skills rather than adding points to them. Faster Reloads complemented the Guns skill for obvious reasons. Jury Rigging complemented Repair without adding skill points to it: the player can now repair goods of a similar type rather than having to use an identical item with which to repair. Aside from leveling coming too quickly in my opinion, and that was easily fixed with a mod, it made each level increase more meaningful and served to better balance the game. Becoming very powerful was very possible, but not quite so quickly as in Fallout 3.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2012, 08:23.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 10:05 jimnms

Rigs wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 23:23:
Well, in another post that questions my status as a lifetime carrier of the 'Hardcore Gaming Club' card, I have to ask, what made New Vegas better than the original Fallout3? Personally, I found the original to be...err, a little boring. At least in the beginning. And the fact that everything is a greenish gray/brown...*shudder*...what does NV bring to the table?

=-Rigs-=

I liked both, but NV is better because of what was "under the hood." I loved the DC wasteland setting of FO3 better, and IMO the beginning (not the vault part) was the best part when you're fresh out of the vault with just a pea shooter and the clothes on your back (I took the stealthy route to escape the vault).

What a lot of hardcore Fallout fans didn't like about it (and I agree somewhat, but still consider it a good Fallout game) was that you played a character with a complete life back story. The previous FO games by design were very vague about your past, letting you fill in the details (age, back story, etc.) yourself and roll play how you want. In FO3, you know how old you are, you know your mother died giving birth to you, and during the intro (vault part) you have the little mini quests to setup your character's traits, perks and even karma before the main game begins. SPOILER ALERT: But during the course of the main quest you find out (SST) that a lot of what you thought you knew about your past wasn't true.

What I didn't like about FO3 was that even with the base game (no DLC or mods) it was way too easy to max most or all of your character's skills out, and getting a perk every level you quickly become OP. After you level up to around 4 or so, the dangerous feeling of the wasteland is gone. With the exception of a couple of places, the game scaled the random wasteland creatures to you, so you never run into anything you can't handle.

My first play through of FO3 I tried to put myself in the shoes of the character. What would I do in that situation if I my friend wakes me up and tells me my father left the vault, the guards killed my friend and are coming for me. I'd get the hell out of there and try to find him as fast as I could.

I pretty much stuck to the main quest. I did side quests only if they were on or near the path to main quest objectives, but I did get sidetracked a few times. Early in the game though, you just aren't equipped to run straight into the downtown DC wasteland looking for "dad," so I did stick around Megaton doing a few quests until I had better equipment before moving on.

I remember in my first game when I first came out of the vault it was night. I didn't know what was out there and I didn't know the scale of the map (in FO and FO2 the distances between places on the world map were very far), so I didn't know how far Megaton was from the vault. I made my way down the road to the street with the ruined buildings. I saw the floating eye bot and didn't know if it was hostile, so I crept up on it until I realized it was neutral. I went inside one of the buildings and waited until day. When day came, I saw some people coming, didn't know if they were friendly or bandits, so I stayed hidden in the building. It turned out to be a caravan coming from Megaton. Even though I took the stealthy route out of the vault, I also took everything that wasn't nailed down, so I sold all of my pencils, clipboards and other junk to get a few caps.

Another minor complaint I had about FO3 is that primarily sticking to the main quest leaves a LOT of the wasteland unexplored. I didn't even find dogmeat on my first play through.

I later got the GOTY edition and played through it using some mods that added primary needs (eat, sleep, drink) and make it an overall tougher experience.

FNV is more true to the original Fallout games where there is little back story (you're just a courier from California). The game was better balanced so you couldn't become a master of all skills (at least until the DLC came out raising the level cap) and you only got perks every other level. And hardcore mode! I also like that the bad things in the wasteland didn't scale to you. If you didn't stick to the established paths, especially early on you got killed quick. On my way from Primm to the Mojave Outpost, I saw something up in the hills and decided to check it out. I was greeted by several giant rad scorpions that my weapons wouldn't scratch. I had a few mines on me so I ran dropping mines. They managed to cripple their legs and I got away, just barely. The danger of the wasteland still remained, even at level 25-30. There were still places that were a challenge at higher levels, and if you weren't on good terms with the legion, the assassin squads they sent after you were deadly.

I bought all of the FNV DLC on sale, but I haven't played it with them on yet, so I don't know how much the higher level cap and extra perks effect that though.

Steam Profile

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 02:40 Flatline

Well, in another post that questions my status as a lifetime carrier of the 'Hardcore Gaming Club' card, I have to ask, what made New Vegas better than the original Fallout3? Personally, I found the original to be...err, a little boring. At least in the beginning. And the fact that everything is a greenish gray/brown...*shudder*...what does NV bring to the table?

Also, right around when you think the game is hitting it's cresendo in the main story (hitting new vegas proper, confronting Benny, etc...), it explodes open and gives you 3 or 4 very different factions to work with.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 02:38 Capitan

First Fallout I played was Fallout 3 and I really liked it just the humor in the game. I still remember the first meeting with a Robobrain, I died just because I laughed so much. When I later purchased the NW, I was disappointed from the muddled story and got bored because pretty soon. I want to give NW a second chance and would need a list of addons / DLC, what you think I should have to get the correct original experience.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 00:38 Mashiki Amiketo

=-Rigs-=
Fo3 was weak, no question about it. But NV? Story, content. The story itself properly fills out, you're not "dad left the vault, go find him" the story is. "This shit is bad, the world is bad." It's harsh, brutal, who tried to kill you and why. Fuck everyone else, find your own path. It's as close to the original bad shit as you can get in the world, even with the NCR just next door. Don't forget that Obsidian is what's left of Black Isle, pretty much everyone is still there. Including the story writers, and it shows in the story itself.

Characters are more fleshed out. Has a closer FO/FO2 appeal to it, the general zaniness it there, especially with the Wild wasteland trait. The one weakness that NV has, is the lack of dungeon crawling(sewer crawling), but hopefully the next time they'll have a better change at that. I'd really like to see them do something with the Boneyard in it, or San Fransisco.

Imo, if you don't have it? Pick it up when the ultimate pack goes on sale with all the DLC. You won't regret it, usually drops it down into the $15-19 range. I still play it, I have nearly 700 hours into it.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

13. Re: On Cut New Vegas Content Aug 20, 2012, 00:26 Bet

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 23:09:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 18:32:
KOTOR 2 Redeux?
No. The things that were cut, show that Obsidian budgeted their time exceptionally wisely for what time they did have. And it also shows exactly how badly consoles are dragging PC's down.
Leave it to Kotaku to spread misinformation to make people think everything except what you just said. Good lord.

12. Re: On Cut New Vegas Content Aug 19, 2012, 23:28 StingingVelvet

I downloaded the one that adds some missing NPCs back into the game, but overall this is some superfluous and generally buggy stuff. New Vegas was good as released, honestly.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 23:23 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

10. Re: On Cut New Vegas Content Aug 19, 2012, 23:09 Mashiki Amiketo

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 18:32:
KOTOR 2 Redeux?
No. The things that were cut, show that Obsidian budgeted their time exceptionally wisely for what time they did have. And it also shows exactly how badly consoles are dragging PC's down.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: On Cut New Vegas Content Aug 19, 2012, 22:13 Silicon Avatar

I'm playing with these mods now.

The open freeside and open strip require a fairly beefy PC - especially if you have any texture mods also installed.

If you haven't played this game you ought to try it with all the DLCs and bugfix mods.

The Old World Blues DLC was the best of the bunch if you can only get one.

8. Re: On Cut New Vegas Content Aug 19, 2012, 21:44 Dev

Very interesting. I liked this quote from the link:

Obsidian had a very short period of time to make this game, and it's clear they budgeted their time very precisely. They delivered twice the content of Fallout 3 in HALF the time, and frankly made a much more interesting game to boot. It's clear that F:NV was tightly controlled during its development, and much of the stuff mentioned below was removed because it was irrelevant or just plain not very good. This isn't some failure on their part; in fact it's proof of their professionalism in that they knew when to cut their loses working to a tight deadline.

7. Re: On Cut New Vegas Content Aug 19, 2012, 20:38 xXBatmanXx

hheheh ein the Freeside Open mod:

- Warning! Pickpockets operate in this area. Check your valuables!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: On Cut New Vegas Content Aug 19, 2012, 20:16 Techie714

Every Fallout game except maybe Fallout:Tactics has been an achievement & milestone in gaming IMO. The best game IP EVER IMO. /Fallout Fanboy...  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

5. Re: On Cut New Vegas Content Aug 19, 2012, 19:22 Rattlehead

I love Fallout New Vegas the way it is, it's one of my favorite games ever and with FOOK it's about 1000x better.  

4. Re: On Cut New Vegas Content Aug 19, 2012, 18:32 The Half Elf

KOTOR 2 Redeux?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: On Cut New Vegas Content Aug 19, 2012, 17:51 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 14:59:
Hey I sent that in like 2 days ago, Blue!

Yeah I think blue's emails are still getting eaten.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2. Re: On Cut New Vegas Content Aug 19, 2012, 15:35 Rhett

Wow. That guy did some digging and some fixing.  

1. Re: On Cut New Vegas Content Aug 19, 2012, 14:59 nin

Hey I sent that in like 2 days ago, Blue!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo