Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 20, 2012, 09:26 Verno

noman wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 01:43:
It's a garbage article. There's no objective way, anyone can trash Windows9 without undermining previous Windows versions, since Win8 is simply the best OS MS has put forward for desktop PCs. I'd understand if someone comes from the point of view that Windows is basically crap compared to Linux (I won't agree though) but to say that Win8 is useless even for XP users is simply nonsense.

It really is much more efficient than Windows7 and works amazingly well with network devices (printers over WiFi, cable-tuner cards over the network etc) across power on/off and sleep/wake-up cycles. The desktop is there, all the legacy apps work with no compatibility issues. File management is better, ISOs can be browsed like a zip folder or mounted, USB3 is natively supported, 3D apps use the resources better, alt-tab works better, 3D is natively supported (although that could be there in Win7/Vista too I think, after DX11.1's latest version), printer stack has been overhauled and the driver model simplified (saving half-a-gb of disk space), multi monitor usage is better ..........

........ and then there's the metro interface start screen which is at least more useful than the old start menu, but that's hardly saying much. I rarely use the start screen, other than a few rounds of Wordament or Fruit Ninja. It doesn't bring down my Win8 experience one bit.

Metro UI is a large scale feature regression, that's the biggest offense something can make in my books. Only allowing 2 apps to be run simultaneously is a sin. Not allowing users to choose how they resize and rescale those apps for display is unforgivable. You can't marry a tablet interface to a desktop interface because they are largely at odds in what they are trying to accomplish in both display of information and how the user interacts with it.

The Microsoft store stuff is obnoxious as well. Microsoft is attempting to copy the iOS app store model and its walled garden approach. Apps have severe restrictions on what sort of background processes can be run and how they interact with other processes. There is an official approval process and desktop apps can only be offered through the store in a website link format.

This sort of crap goes against decades of progress made in personal computing technology and it's especially frustrating because Microsoft is traditionally the company that allows you to have a choice in these things. They just finally finished making the Start Menu useful with jumplist integration and DRU. This move deprecates the Start Menu and to a lesser extent the taskbar. That might be fine if Metro were in any way a competent interface but it's not. I would love to spend all of my time in the desktop but unfortunately there is always something that forces you to interact with Metro.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 20, 2012, 07:37 Dades

Windows 8 is garbage. Metro is heavily tied to the operating system and many traditional aspects of system functionality are first presented or only accessible through it now or by using scripts to access functions directly (restart, shutdown, multi-monitor, etc). The way it separates search results you search for is infuriating and Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to make it uncustomizable. Even the simple method getting a right click context menu in Metro requires scrolling to the bottom of the screen to access it. They did not dog food this at all or listen to user feedback. You can't release WinRT apps anywhere but through their shitty store and a few of the official Microsoft apps have fucking advertisements in them.

Windows 7 runs incredibly well and stable, particularly when you pair it up with an SSD. Windows 8 with Metro is a no go, no matter how fast it reboots.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2012, 07:43.

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 20, 2012, 01:43 noman

It's a garbage article. There's no objective way, anyone can trash Windows9 without undermining previous Windows versions, since Win8 is simply the best OS MS has put forward for desktop PCs. I'd understand if someone comes from the point of view that Windows is basically crap compared to Linux (I won't agree though) but to say that Win8 is useless even for XP users is simply nonsense.

It really is much more efficient than Windows7 and works amazingly well with network devices (printers over WiFi, cable-tuner cards over the network etc) across power on/off and sleep/wake-up cycles. The desktop is there, all the legacy apps work with no compatibility issues. File management is better, ISOs can be browsed like a zip folder or mounted, USB3 is natively supported, 3D apps use the resources better, alt-tab works better, 3D is natively supported (although that could be there in Win7/Vista too I think, after DX11.1's latest version), printer stack has been overhauled and the driver model simplified (saving half-a-gb of disk space), multi monitor usage is better ..........

........ and then there's the metro interface start screen which is at least more useful than the old start menu, but that's hardly saying much. I rarely use the start screen, other than a few rounds of Wordament or Fruit Ninja. It doesn't bring down my Win8 experience one bit.

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 19, 2012, 22:42 Dev

When I RTFA:

I've been working with Windows 8 in one version or another for months now and there is simply nothing about it that would make me recommend it over Windows 7 or XP for that matter.

Metro, no matter what Microsoft wants to call it, remains a usability nightmare on a conventional PC.

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 19, 2012, 21:26 DDI

Breaking: irrelevant Linux zealot thinks Microsoft sucks!  

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo