Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We were at the supermarket checkout today when I started admiring the Coke bottles in the point-of-sale fridge, as they had it in those classic 20 oz. fluted glass bottles you don't see much anymore. Then a white sticker caught my eye, serving as a second clue that this was not just any soda. Sure enough, a closer examination revealed that this was the Mexican Coke made with real sugar that is so hard to find. I scooped up five bottles, and I will probably give in to the temptation to go back and get the couple of bottles I left behind if they are still there. It's just tough to swallow the $1.20 a bottle they are charging, as that makes this stuff more expensive than premium gasoline. On the other hand, it's rarer than gas, so maybe that's justified.

Sugar Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Meeblings Player Pack 1.
Links: The Six Supervillains of Nerd Culture.
Stories: John Lennon's killer to get seventh parole hearing this week.
Science: Egg yolk consumption almost as bad as smoking when it comes to atherosclerosis, study suggests.
The Doctor Wields A Mass Effect Omni-Tool.
Media: Gotham Style ft. Batman (Parody of Psy's 'Gangnam Style').
The Blues Brothers ( filming location ) Belushi Aykroyd Landis 1980.
Incredible Catch at Little League World Series.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 08:48 briktal

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 16:10:
DG wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 15:33:
A basic 500ml plastic bottle of coke here (UK) is about $1.70.

Not a big fan of sugary fizzy drinks personally.
Almost all of us in North America can only get our pop made with fructose/glucose or a combination of both in it. Finding it made with cane sugar or something similar like beet sugar is rare. Another good find, if you run across it? Dr. Pepper made from cane sugar.

Oh and that egg yolk thing. I call bunk, it's about every 4 years or so they go through the "doom, not doomed, doomed, not doomed" thing. 40,000 or more years we've been eating eggs. It hasn't killed us yet, though everything else has.

I think you mean http://www.theonion.com/articles/eggs-good-for-you-this-week,4144/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 07:53 Mr. Tact

Sepharo wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 00:39:
Had nothing but aspartame in my pop for about 8 years now. Still waiting on those migraines, limb/digit numbness, cancer, and death.
Yep. I've probably had more, for longer than you. I recently measured my Diet Dew intake over a month, it came in at roughly thirteen 12 oz cans per day on average. I really should cut back, but hey -- Diet Dew is pretty far down the list on things you don't want to over partake in.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 07:26 Mordecai Walfish

Bet wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 01:40:
PHJF wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 00:29:
Yeah well I use aspartame so you can ALL go fuck yourselves!

Had nothing but aspartame in my pop for about 8 years now. Still waiting on those migraines, limb/digit numbness, cancer, and death.
I think most conspiracy theories/documentaries now say it causes MS diagnoses too.

I heard you can overcome *ALL* of these things if you stand on your head for at least 1 minute every day and brush your teeth with your opposite hand.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 01:40 Bet

I think most conspiracy theories/documentaries now say it causes MS diagnoses too.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 00:39 Sepharo

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 00:29 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 00:05 Cutter

Processed = bad. Even for sweeteners I use organic cane sugar and raw honey.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 21:35 Bet

Brazor wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 20:56:
Personally I think the sugar soda tastes better than the corn syrup and lets be honest here. It's SODA! It's not healthy. So I don't care which one is "better" for you.
There's a difference between fatty liver disease and obesity though. The former can be caused solely by HFCS, whereas obesity can be from overconsumption of either.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 20:56 Brazor

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 14:53:
Lol, in California you can find a whole shelf or standing display of Mexican Coke in most supermarkets (ones with an 'ethnic' aisle).

I can buy a case of it at Costco in Cal for about $16 + change and tax.
My local Ralphs has individual bottles of the coke and pepsi ones at the end of the beer isle. About the same price Blue paid.

Personally I think the sugar soda tastes better than the corn syrup and lets be honest here. It's SODA! It's not healthy. So I don't care which one is "better" for you.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 20:55 PropheT

I've found that I actually like the HFC sodas better, with the exception of Coke. Our local grocery store always has glass bottle sodas available, the real sugar types, for a handful of both Pepsi and Coke flavors...not sure if it's because there's bottlers near here or what it is, but can't complain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 20:36 Bet

DG wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 18:17:
All this talk of Mexican Coke is getting us onto some kind of watch-list
Yeah, the high fructose lobbyists list. Now that the corn crop is going to be a record-setter for prices this year, sugar cane even with tariffs added is price competitive. HFCS hits your liver HARD when it's metabolized, like drinking a beer, whereas sugar is used by all the cells in your body immediately...like alcohol. Funny that HFCS has all the negatives of alcohol, but definitely doesn't help get you laid.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 19:31 Agent.X7

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 16:15:
DG wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 15:33:
A basic 500ml plastic bottle of coke here (UK) is about $1.70.

Not a big fan of sugary fizzy drinks personally.

Are there pictures of kilted men on the bottle?

Oh and +1 for the throwbacks. Pepsi is my favorite as of now but I'd like to try a Dr. Pepper that isn't made of corn, also.

Yeah, I pretty much stick with Pepsi Throwback or smaller companies like Jones who make drinks with real sugar. I would like Dr. Pepper and a few other big name ones to make a real sugar version, but I don't think they will. HFCS is too profitable for them. (Even though it tastes like liquid shit, in my opinion.) I also try to only drink one or two a day because damn they have a lot of extra calories.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 18:45 SirKnight

Oh and also:
linky

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 18:44 SirKnight

Scarcrux wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 17:48:
The egg yolk study is flawed: "This study found that egg yolk consumption was associated with increased fatty build-up in the arteries of the neck, though this was small when compared to the build-up expected with age. This study has important limitations which mean that it cannot be concluded that egg yolks are as bad for you as smoking:"

See this article for more details.

link1

link2

No reason to fear eggs at all. Not even several/many per day.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 18:17 DG

All this talk of Mexican Coke is getting us onto some kind of watch-list  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 18:06 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 16:10:
Oh and that egg yolk thing. I call bunk, it's about every 4 years or so they go through the "doom, not doomed, doomed, not doomed" thing. 40,000 or more years we've been eating eggs. It hasn't killed us yet, though everything else has.

Yeah, I guess we're now at the "Eggs are bad!" phase again?

Creston

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 17:58 Creston

On the other hand, it's rarer than gas,

It sure as hell tastes better!

Creston

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 17:48 Scarcrux

The egg yolk study is flawed: "This study found that egg yolk consumption was associated with increased fatty build-up in the arteries of the neck, though this was small when compared to the build-up expected with age. This study has important limitations which mean that it cannot be concluded that egg yolks are as bad for you as smoking:"

See this article for more details.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 16:41 PHJF

Simple matter of quantity. ~Four whole eggs per week is perfectly healthy. I have cereal in the morning six days a week and eggs with toast once.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 16:40 zebra.belka

Blue, when you mentioned 5 Guys the other day, I looked up one around me and gave it a try exactly with a bottle of mexican coke which I always keep in my fridge by cases. Should I mention the experience was astonishing? =) After all North Cal got some things right.  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo