Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

OnLive Layoffs Follow-up

Joystiq has a rundown of what went down during a final meeting with the staff of OnLive before they were all fired, clarifying the report that the entire staff was being let go as part of some sort of reorganization. The company has undergone an Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors, or ABC (a form of bankruptcy), and will continue under the ownership of a venture capitalist. Word is only "the essential" portion of the company's 150-200 staff will be rehired going forward as the new owner attempts to bring the cloud gaming service into profitability.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

14. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 16:11 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 14:52:
Going into a job like this you'd have to be nuts thinking it was going to last. This is the sort of job you take only if you have to, and even then you're still looking for something better ASAP.

Employees got some ownership. It's easy to join a startup under those circumstances:
1) There tends to be more passion at startups than otherwise, for a few reasons (mostly in the list below)
2) Employees get some ownership, even if just 0.1%. The hope is that, if things go well, that'll be six or seven figures.
3) Employees have a lot of lattitude to do a lot of work, pick their work, change their work, and advance quickly
4) Other employers often like seeing that because it means an employee had more opportunity to flex his wings and diversify

But yeah, it's a gamble, one that comes crashing down more often than not, and as to that ownership, we've all seen The Social Network, which was even than a fairly lucky, positive outcome for the guy screwed over.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 15:25 Longswd

Profitability will equal selling their patents to a troll, thus ensuring no one else will be allowed to do it right without paying a hefty licensing entry fee.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 15:22 HorrorScope

Rigs wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 15:12:
IMO, going into any job nowadays thinking it's going to last is nuts. Seriously. There's no such thing as 'Job Security' anymore. Scary...

=-Rigs-=

Yep, something I'm certain the people did not want. And that is what this country is all about right? Giving the people things they don't want? Because if it's about giving the majority what they want, then the country is full of fail right now.

11. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 15:21 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 14:52:
Going into a job like this you'd have to be nuts thinking it was going to last. This is the sort of job you take only if you have to, and even then you're still looking for something better ASAP.

Correct if you know the field that well. I'm sure they sold those that weren't, "this is going to change gaming forever". I know we always look at the games we play, but there are plenty of lower requirement games and genre's that can appease cheaper end semi-gamers out there for this.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 15:12 Rigs

IMO, going into any job nowadays thinking it's going to last is nuts. Seriously. There's no such thing as 'Job Security' anymore. Scary...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

9. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 14:52 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 14:28 RailWizard

I thought the idea was stupid to begin with, but what do I know.  

7. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 14:27 Prez

OnLive's failure is not a surprise (it's a product without any market whatsoever); however I am interested to know if it even worked reasonably well? I could never be bothered to try it, being a product I have zero I interest in or use for, but I do find the technology ( low latency realtime streaming) pretty interesting. I've heard conflicting reports.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 14:26 nin

I'm not sure what F2P games have to do with this.

It doesn't. He just likes to rattle off random shit...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 14:24 Fantaz

Even if they continue their image is completely torn. What a PR mess... Nobody will want to use a "dead" service anymore.  

4. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 14:23 wtf_man

I'm not sure what F2P games have to do with this.

In general... if a company isn't making any money... they can't pay for their employees... so they let some, or all, go. How can one be "entitled" to a job if the company can't afford the employee?

3. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 14:21 nin

Thank you for your insightful commentary, deqer.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 14:17 El Pit

deqer wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 14:10:
That's why devs make F2P games,

YES! Those evil, wicked F2P games. The root of all EVIL!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

1. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 14:10 deqer

That's why people do whatever they're told to keep their jobs. That's why devs make F2P games, because they were told to. If they object, then management just fires them and pulls another hire off the overflowing list of applications they probably have.

Either way, a hire is still screwed because corps will let you go anyways because it's all business, nothing personal. They hire you, milk/chew you, and then spit you out and replace you with fresh new blood eager to work hard on the new system that the previous devs just built, or whatever the case may be.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo