Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Sale

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: The two wwebsites are more dissimilar than they are similar. Aug 20, 2012, 16:49 reisub

You're right, it's an inferior rip-off.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: On Sale Aug 20, 2012, 16:45 hb3d

Sacrifice wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 11:58:
It is in no way trying to look like Steam.
Having some basic similarity like a background color on a website or some of the same letters in the name is not trademark infringement like you claimed below. I have certainly not claimed there is absolutely no similarity between the two just that the similarity doesn't rise to the level of trademark infringement.

Sacrifice wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 11:58:
I like arguing no matter how insane my position may be.
That's the only true thing you've written in this thread.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2012, 17:02.

14. The two wwebsites are more dissimilar than they are similar. Aug 20, 2012, 16:42 hb3d

reisub wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 11:38:
I guess we'll ignore how similar their respective websites look too.
The two websites are more dissimilar than they are similar. The Stormpowered website is much more bare-bones than Steam's which uses tabs and has many more categories, frames, and design elements like pull-down lists/menus on its main page. While both websites may have a black background, Valve doesn't own the color black.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2012, 16:58.

13. Re: On Sale Aug 20, 2012, 11:58 Sacrifice

reisub wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 11:38:

You are really grasping at straws here. A storm cloud is dark, so having such a color on the website makes sense. It is in no way trying to look like Steam. I will defend this position because I like arguing no matter how insane my position may be.

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

12. Re: On Sale Aug 20, 2012, 11:38 reisub

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2012, 11:45.

11. Re: Oh the irony! Aug 20, 2012, 10:14 hb3d

Sacrifice wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 00:26:
My main point is that there is clearly a resemblance:
No, judging from what you actually wrote your point was that it is trademnark infringement, and that is clearly not the case.

It has two letters different
So does "snapple" and "apple." That doesn't mean that an apple-flavored drink with the name apple in it is an infringement on the snapple trademark. Valve has a trademark on the word "steam" for digital distribution. That doesn't give it a similar trademark for every word with the letters s, t, and m in it.

relates to water
You're really grasping at straws there. A sand storm, a wind storm, or a lightning storm has nothing to do with water.

I think it is shady regardless of any possible trademark case.
It's not shady for a game developer to name its game distribution service after its own company name, and that is what Storm Studios has done.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2012, 10:34.

10. Re: Oh the irony! Aug 20, 2012, 00:26 Sacrifice

hb3d wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 01:30:
Yep, you certainly proved that with yours. "Storm" is not "Steam." Storm Eagle Studios also has a U.S. trademark for video games on the name "Storm Eagle Studios" which shows a history of using the term "storm" in association with video games and a pending trademark for "StormPowered." In addition even though "storm" is not "steam", Valve has no U.S. trademark for "steam" combined with "powered."

My main point is that there is clearly a resemblance: It has two letters different, relates to water, and is a game distribution system. I think it is shady regardless of any possible trademark case.

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

9. Downloaded and installed just fine. Aug 19, 2012, 14:32 hb3d

My download of the game went just fine. The small downloader app (Driver_San_Francisco_DownloadManager_en.exe) downloaded the RAR archive files which self-extracted at the end of the process into a subdirectory in the Windows TEMP directory for my user account. The extracted files look just like the type of installation files you would find for the game on a DVD-ROM. At 7.35GB it would take two standard DVD-R's or one dual-layer DVD-R to backup the files. I moved these files out of the temporary directory for backup purposes before using them to install the game.

The installation of the game went even more smoothly. I ran the autorun launcher and chose "Installation". The game installed just like a game from Amazon game downloads or an old-fashioned game on DVD-ROM. During the installation I was directed to the UPlay website to login via my default web browser, but the installation proceeded simultaneously and did not stop even though I did not login to the UPlay account I had created when I purchased the game using the Ubisoft website.

So, overall my purchase, download, and installation experience of Driver: SF from the Ubisoft store website was easy, went smoothly, and only cost me a dollar.

8. Re: Driver: San Francisco Deluxe for A Buck! Aug 19, 2012, 10:37 Shok

hb3d wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 02:52:
Today (Sunday) is the final day of Ubisoft's download store sale, and you can get Driver: San Francisco Deluxe Edition for only a dollar! All versions of the game have the same UPlay DRM so paying more for the game elsewhere like on Steam doesn't allow you to avoid UPlay.

This is a terrific value, and for $1 you can't go wrong. You can buy the game using the website link without installing the UPlay client.

It's not worth it for crappy UBI DRM. Thanks though.

7. Re: Driver: San Francisco Deluxe for A Buck! Aug 19, 2012, 10:36 hb3d

Ray Marden wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 09:18:
UPlay is listing Driver as an installed game. Since it shows as installed, it won't let me reinstall it. And since it is actually not installed on my system, UPlay is unable to launch it when I hit "Play." What a crappy company.
I bought Driver:SF through the website not the UPlay client. At the end of the purchase process, I was presented with a small downloader app (Driver_San_Francisco_DownloadManager_en.exe) not the UPlay client to download the game, and I was emailed a registration/activation code for the game.

I am running the applet now and downloading the game. It let me specify where to put the installation files for the game which are RAR archives just like a pirate distributed version. My bandwidth is only 1MB/sec and the download is maxing out my bandwidth, so I will post back with my installation experience when the download is complete.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2012, 14:34.

6. Re: Driver: San Francisco Deluxe for A Buck! Aug 19, 2012, 09:24 space captain

Ray Marden wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 09:18:
Guessing the joke is on me,
Ray

thats a really good guess

Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: Driver: San Francisco Deluxe for A Buck! Aug 19, 2012, 09:18 Ray Marden

Too bad it won't work on my Win7 x64 install. Reading the forums, it looks like it has issues with gamepads, issues with PC installation, does not support 16x10 resolutions, and other incompatabilities.

UPlay is ugly, Ubi still cannot figure out which currency I use, I had a really slow 1MB/s download, and now I have to figure out a way to make its game work.
Did Ubi just reverse-pirate me by giving me nothing, but charging $1?
Edit: As I tried uninstalling, even that has issues. It is trying to delete my users\username\documents\ubisoft folder which does not actually exist - the installer put the files in my users\username\MYdocuments\ubisoft folder. Stupid.

Editx2: Even uninstalled, UPlay is listing Driver as an installed game. Since it shows as installed, it won't let me reinstall it. And since it is actually not installed on my system, UPlay is unable to launch it when I hit "Play." What a crappy company.

Editx3: Worked the second time around - manually uninstalled, manually ran the laucher, ran as admin., and I installed with the gamepad removed.

Guessing the joke is on me,
Ray

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2012, 14:14.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

4. Driver: San Francisco Deluxe for A Buck! Aug 19, 2012, 02:52 hb3d

Today (Sunday) is the final day of Ubisoft's download store sale, and you can get Driver: San Francisco Deluxe Edition for only a dollar! All versions of the game have the same UPlay DRM so paying more for the game elsewhere like on Steam doesn't allow you to avoid UPlay.

This is a terrific value, and for $1 you can't go wrong. You can buy the game using the website link without installing the UPlay client.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2012, 03:12.

3. Oh the irony! Aug 19, 2012, 01:30 hb3d

Sacrifice wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 22:57:
Trademark infringement accusations are often ridiculous
Yep, you certainly proved that with yours. "Storm" is not "Steam." Storm Eagle Studios also has a U.S. trademark for video games on the name "Storm Eagle Studios" which shows a history of using the term "storm" in association with video games and a pending trademark for "StormPowered." In addition even though "storm" is not "steam", Valve has no U.S. trademark for "steam" combined with "powered."

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2012, 05:27.

2. Re: On Sale Aug 18, 2012, 23:21 nin

Oh look - frames...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: On Sale Aug 18, 2012, 22:57 Sacrifice

Trademark infringement accusations are often ridiculous, but a digital game distribution system called "StormPowered"? I don't think Valve will sit idle with this...  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo