Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Preseason football action tonight, which I'm looking forward to. And I love the hype: All week long the NFL network has been promoting this as "Tim Tebow and the Jets" taking on the Giants. Get your peanuts... the circus is coming to town!

Backup Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Phase Cannon TD.
Lancelost.
Stories: "Avengers 2" Set For May 1st 2015.
Science: US Astronomy Facing Severe Budget Cuts and Facility Closures. Thanks Slashdot.
Dinosaur age, meet the space age.
NASA exploring possible mission to better track asteroids that threaten Earth.
Media: Watch the first 10 minutes of Starship Troopers: Invasion. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Ball Girl Removes Cockroach from Court at Australian Open.
Things That Will Make You Feel Old.
The Funnies: Videogame Companies Are Your Friends.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 16:44 PHJF

You ever see a propane tank go? Those are pretty damn cool....

Yeah, all the time!

... in Left 4 Dead.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 13:18 Julio

eunichron wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 12:37:
I think the generally accepted statute of limitations for full movie spoilers is 5 years.

I'm not sure if that's been extended time and time again like copyright law. It might be 50 years now

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 12:37 eunichron

Prez wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 10:21:
I wonder if I should have put in a spoiler alert. Is it possible to 'spoil' the ending to a 37 year old movie?

I think the generally accepted statute of limitations for full movie spoilers is 5 years.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 11:57 xXBatmanXx

PHJF wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 10:57:

I can't watched Jaws anymore - are you nuts? Didn't you see the episode the Mythbusters episode in which they proved you can't explode a scuba tank by shooting it?????

Didn't they also fail exploding a car by shooting its gas tank?

Yea you can't blow up a car by shooting the gas tank.

You can explode something using a compressed gas other than a scuba tank though. You ever see a propane tank go? Those are pretty damn cool....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 11:56 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 01:13:
Holy shit, finally started watching Jaws on bluray (came out last Tuesday). This film looks phenomenal! I don't think I've ever seen it look this good...if you even having a passing interest in the movie, I highly recommend checking this release out.

And if for some reason you've never seen the movie, you need to check it out, immediately.

Yea I was watching the making of on HBO or some other movie channel and the team that was working on it was super pumped that they could bring a classic movie back and make it look so good. The side by side shots of the quality and what you see now compared to what you didn't see before, is pretty damn amazing.

One of the all time classics and great movie. I hope they do more conversions to the quality of BR.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 10:57 PHJF

I can't watched Jaws anymore - are you nuts? Didn't you see the episode the Mythbusters episode in which they proved you can't explode a scuba tank by shooting it?????

Didn't they also fail exploding a car by shooting its gas tank?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 10:21 Prez

Cutter wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 01:36:
Holy shit, finally started watching Jaws on bluray (came out last Tuesday). This film looks phenomenal! I don't think I've ever seen it look this good...if you even having a passing interest in the movie, I highly recommend checking this release out.

And if for some reason you've never seen the movie, you need to check it out, immediately.

Whilst I've always liked Dreyfuss, I've always been a huge fan of both Robert Shaw and Roy Scheider so them both being Jaws just makes it all that much better. It really was a great film the three of them work so well together in it, so natural.

I can't watched Jaws anymore - are you nuts? Didn't you see the episode the Mythbusters episode in which they proved you can't explode a scuba tank by shooting it????? Totally ruined the entire movie for me. Roy Scheider should have been eaten and shat out as itty bitty shark turds.

I wonder if I should have put in a spoiler alert. Is it possible to 'spoil' the ending to a 37 year old movie?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 07:38 Sux

It's a different style, tho it's the same universe. It feels like you're watching a video game. It's nothing stellar, but worth a viewing I'd say.

Yes the Starship Troopers movie reminds me of a 3D Mark demo with acting:)

Have not watched the whole new movie yet, but I don't see much evidence of the character and humour of the original.

The original must be getting old now but those bug hoards were so well done.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2012, 07:56.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 05:26 DG

Hmm, I'd tried going in via the server browser but they were all 6 players in game, 14 specutating :s

I'll fiddle with the settings and try again

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 02:11 kanniballl

RailWizard wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 23:00:
It's a different style, tho it's the same universe. It feels like you're watching a video game. It's nothing stellar, but worth a viewing I'd say.

Yeh, same universe with the "big 3" surviving characters from the first film (different voices). But a completely different feel.

It was "alright" Better than the 2nd and 3rd films, but nothing particularly special.

The first film still holds a special place in my heart... it's in my top-10 films list even though everyone I talk to (in r/l) hates it.

In the first 15-30 minutes though, they kind of make fun of the first film. One of the characters pretended to use a console to place a call, when the girl he was with realized he wasn't using it they both laughed and started quoting "Would you like to know more" and "do your part"

-

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2012, 02:23.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 01:36 Cutter

Whilst I've always liked Dreyfuss, I've always been a huge fan of both Robert Shaw and Roy Scheider so them both being Jaws just makes it all that much better. It really was a great film the three of them work so well together in it, so natural.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 01:13 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 23:00 RailWizard

jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 20:18:
RailWizard wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 14:21:
That Starship Troopers thing is not bad actually. I've seen the whole thing, and it's deff better than the sequels though it does have a weird asian feel to it. Seeing the credits explains why this is.

How does it compare to the Paul Verhoven original? That one has the somewhat unusual distinction of skewering the Sci-fi action genre while also being an entry into it. It's one of the greatest B movies ever made. Also, the original is on Netflix streaming.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 22:21 mag

DG wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 17:37:
Matchmaking, matchmaking, matchmaking

Don't use the matchmaker. Just look for MvM games in the normal server browser. Much better experience, though still not particularly great.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 20:18 jdreyer

RailWizard wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 14:21:
That Starship Troopers thing is not bad actually. I've seen the whole thing, and it's deff better than the sequels though it does have a weird asian feel to it. Seeing the credits explains why this is.

How does it compare to the Paul Verhoven original? That one has the somewhat unusual distinction of skewering the Sci-fi action genre while also being an entry into it. It's one of the greatest B movies ever made. Also, the original is on Netflix streaming.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 19:29 Cutter

JaguarUSF wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 16:23:
Gabbert -> Blackmon. Mark it down.

The Jags? Hahaha! Yeah, I'll make sure to do that.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 19:07 xXBatmanXx

Yea a buddy sent a msg and said that you can join throgh the "server list" don't use the interface to join a game, you can instantly get into a game via steam server menu, just search for MvM.

Had some good games and bad games, most people are morons though and hvae no idea how to help the team....

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 18:06 Prez

Preseason football action tonight, which I'm looking forward to. And I love the hype: All week long the NFL network has been promoting this as "Tim Tebow and the Jets" taking on the Giants. Get your peanuts... the circus is coming to town!

I used to like professional sports so much better when it was all about the game and not about drummed-up sensationalist drama. I don't give a rat's ass about watching mega-overrated Tim Tebow (about whose religion I could not give one single solitary shit less) throw a ball in a game that means nothing.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 17:37 DG

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 13:58:
TF2 MvM is infuriating.......takes forever to get into a game, and now it is crashing on loadup "connectino failed after 4 tries". On top of that:

3623 in queue
315 EMPTY SERVERS
193 ACTIVE SERVERS

WTF@? Fire off those empty servers!
For me, playing MvM seems to be a case of:

* sitting waiting forever to get into a game
* Server is old version / bad challenge / whatever
* sitting waiting forever to get into a game
* repeat the above X times
* finally get in
* have anywhere 3-6 players
then either a) -
* we get ridiculously steamrolled
* spend about same time in warmup as the round lasts
* players keep quitting / joining, no cohesion at all
* we get ridiculously steamrolled
* repeat above X times
* I quit
* sitting waiting forever to get into a game ...

or b) it lands on normal decoy,
* we steamroll the machines,
* game over in no time.
* sitting waiting forever to get into a game ...

Spent most of the day (it's 10pm here), a rare day free to myself to do wtf I fee like, "playing" MvM. Out of that, maybe 30mins total of reasonable quality play time.

Seems to break down to 2 issues. Firstly the matchmaking, okay it's being hammered but I can't help thinking the matchmaker is shit. Particularly since there's a lot of free servers and a lot of time in game with less than 6 players.

Secondly, the gameplay... I think Valve has targeted 6 Steam friends playing a game together. For everyone else playing with random people, this means we probably need about 9 players in order to average about the same effectiveness. Decoy ain't so bad because it's small and choked, advanced Mannworks, just forget it.

it's be nice if there was a search option for any map for specified difficulty.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 16:23 JaguarUSF

Gabbert -> Blackmon. Mark it down.  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo