Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos

Gearbox Software offers a few new videos showing off weapons from Borderlands 2, their upcoming role-playing shooter sequel. Since the game boasts a gazillion guns, which would make for a lot of videos, they break this down by in-game weapons manufacturer, highlighting the handiwork of Maliwan, Tediore, and Vladof.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 21:15 Creston

nin wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 15:09:
I do hope the bazillion guns is a little more streamlined this time around. By that I mean that I hope they will drop a little more consistently. The first time I played, I didn't find ANYTHING decent until level 13 or so, and I was just really struggling to kill even the lowliest bandit or skragg. Going up against a group of skraggs was a fucking nightmare. I came this close to uninstalling the whole damn thing.

And now you know why I hated it...

Yeah, and I will readily admit it's a very poor mark against the game. If "a kajillion guns" is one of your big hooks into the game, then make SURE that people get fun ones right from the start. They even make you do a quest to get a unique weapon, and it ALWAYS sucks. I've run through the whole game about 8 times, and every single time, that weapon is a giant piece of shit.

So if the luck of the draw gives you shitty weapons for your first 10 levels, odds are that players are going to think "Wow, this kajillion guns thing just fucking SUCKS. I'm done."

I came very close to feeling the same way, and then something awesome dropped, and my fun factor shot up like a rocket. So I do hope that they'll be better on top of that in BL2.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 20:05 Alamar

Hump wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 18:15:
The Tediore video is wonderfully sick.

Maliwan sounds like Jeri Ryan...

-Alamar

10. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 18:15 Hump

The Tediore video is wonderfully sick.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

9. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 16:44 xXBatmanXx

taken

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2012, 19:11.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 16:30 finga

Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 13:25:
I do hope the bazillion guns is a little more streamlined this time around. By that I mean that I hope they will drop a little more consistently. The first time I played, I didn't find ANYTHING decent until level 13 or so, and I was just really struggling to kill even the lowliest bandit or skragg. Going up against a group of skraggs was a fucking nightmare. I came this close to uninstalling the whole damn thing.
This right here is the issue with randomized loot systems - sometimes you win big, sometimes you don't. While I do think that in the long run, almost full randomization is the right choice, what Gearbox can do in the first few hours of the game to fix this is to have "scripted" weapon drops a little more often (like the Lady Finger, the Clipper, or the, uh, purple SMG from Bone Head, the bandit with the Digistruct module) but drop enough of them for all, or at least most players to use... and just often enough that players in co-op are already trading guns, test-firing them to see how they shoot, and making tough choices right at the beginning.

It'd be helpful, too, since you can script not only a wide range of weapons - say, a rocket launcher at low level, which was not really accessible in BL1 - but a wider range of manufacturers so that players start building that connection to their favorite manufacturer. Win-win in my mind.

7. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 15:22 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 15:12:
Hay, I have a copy available if you are interested still.

I did my own 4pack awhile ago but cheers

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

6. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 15:12 xXBatmanXx

taken

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2012, 19:10.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 15:09 nin

And now you know why I hated it...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 13:55 Wowbagger_TIP

I just played through Borderlands and half the DLC again. Definitely fun, but I hope they cut back on all the driving/running back and forth over and over stuff. If it's just a few times, that's fine. But it got pretty monotonous. Game is a blast though, and BL2 looks even better. Never really had too much problem weapon-wise, but maybe I was just lucky. I usually had enough to at least get by, or I was able to buy something better.

Loved the Tannis audio log things too. I hope whoever did those is working on the script for this one!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

3. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 13:25 Creston

I always loved the manufacturer's commercial slogans in the original game.

Scared to run out of bullets? VLADOF!

Then at level 13 I got a gun that did triple acid damage, and the rest was history.

On my next playthrough, at level 8 I found an AR that fired so fast it was like an uzi, and the damage it did was beyond obscene. I killed the bandit guy with the Iron mask (who you fight just before the Atlas guys show up) in about 0.04 seconds with it. It was literally "aim, hit trigger. BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP. dead."

Something slightly in the middle between those two extremes would be nice. It's great to get a gun that's stupidly OP for your current area, but the other end of the cycle isn't nearly as entertaining...

Creston

2. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 12:50 Fion

Yea I picked it up on Greenman Gaming for $33 with a steam unlock. Really looking forward to it.  

1. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 12:24 Verno

Getting really pumped for this, the PC manual was leaked on Steam already and you can tell they're the PC version pretty seriously.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo