Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Apologies for the late start today: MrsBlue has been home this week as she starts her new job on Monday (we never did get to take advantage of our free access to Disney, either), which has thrown off what passes for a schedule around here. Things should be back on track next week.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Acorn Story.
The Expendables: Deploy and Destroy.
Links: World’s most expensive speakers. Riggght. Thanks HARDOCP.
Stories: West Nile aerial attack creates controversy in virus-stricken Dallas.
Media: OMG! I just dropped my brand new iMac.
Amazing Acoustics! Halo theme sung in an oil chamber.
100 Greatest Maniacal Movie Laughs.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 21:34 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 14:53:
Yes, get 16GB of RAM when no consumer-grade application uses more than four... makes perfect sense...

RAM is cheap, a 16GB kit is only about $40 more than an 8GB kit, so if you're going to build a super gaming rig, why not? No one single application may use more than 4GB, and with 8GB you'll still get swapping running some games and/or heavy multitasking. It also gives Windows' Superfetch more to work with.

I originally built my system with 4GB. I would always close everything when running games, but it still hit the swap file pretty hard. I later bought an 8GB kit, and ran with just the 8GB while I burned it in. It made a world of difference, but I still got some swapping. I put my 4GB in with it. I was worried I might have problems since they were different brands and timings, but they played nice.

Going from 8GB to 12GB was just as much a difference as going from 4GB to 8GB. Now I fire up games without closing down other programs without giving it a second thought, and I have never seen Windows touch the swap file. I used to have to use my netbook to check email and look shit up on the internet while gaming, but now I just leave everything running and ALT tab out of the game without any slowdowns.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 15:29 nin

and I'd recommend getting 16GB of RAM.

Depending on how longs he keeps it, that could be overkill. I'm not coming close to using 8 now, and my next system was going to have 12 (with an estimated 3 years of use).

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 14:53 PHJF

Yes, get 16GB of RAM when no consumer-grade application uses more than four... makes perfect sense...  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 14:34 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 23:51:
Current Build:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs)
Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Hard Drive: WD 1 TB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Monitor: SyncMaster 226BW,SyncMaster Magic CX226BW(Digital)
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output
Operating System: Windows XP

I got the Dual Core that you can OC and it is at 3.1 right now. My 8800GTS 640MB still runs like a champ and there isn't much I "can't run" as far as current games, unless it doesn't support XP. I am just looking for the next best thing. My current install is about 6-7 years old. That is a DAMN GOOD run......

Going to keep this rig "as is" and build a new one without any left over parts. Been a while since I had a side by side setup, and my xp box does a lot of programs that aren't avail or won't work as well with win7, so no reason to toss it and I can multitask and the wife can use this one as well.

/.thanks jd, I will probably go with the i5 on your recommendation....

You probably could get another year+ out of that system with a new video card and some RAM, but at it is probably best to put that money into a new build.

I also think the i5 is the best bang for the buck, and I'd recommend getting 16GB of RAM. Stick with Win7 Home unless you need something that Win7 Pro has. I also don't think an SSD is worth the price to shave a few seconds on boot time. I have the 1.5 TB WD Black drive and it boots pretty damn fast already. Boot times don't bother me since I don't sit around and wait for it to boot anyway.

MeanJim on Steam

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 07:37 Fantaz

Apologies for the late start today: MrsBlue has been home this week as she starts her new job on Monday (we never did get to take advantage of our free access to Disney, either), which has thrown off what passes for a schedule around here. Things should be back on track next week.

It's amazing how you almost never skip a day to update after all these years... dedication to the gaming news!

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 23:51 xXBatmanXx

Current Build:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs)
Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Hard Drive: WD 1 TB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Monitor: SyncMaster 226BW,SyncMaster Magic CX226BW(Digital)
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output
Operating System: Windows XP

I got the Dual Core that you can OC and it is at 3.1 right now. My 8800GTS 640MB still runs like a champ and there isn't much I "can't run" as far as current games, unless it doesn't support XP. I am just looking for the next best thing. My current install is about 6-7 years old. That is a DAMN GOOD run......

Going to keep this rig "as is" and build a new one without any left over parts. Been a while since I had a side by side setup, and my xp box does a lot of programs that aren't avail or won't work as well with win7, so no reason to toss it and I can multitask and the wife can use this one as well.

/.thanks jd, I will probably go with the i5 on your recommendation....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 22:38 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 14:02:
MajorD wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:31:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:19:
Rig building time:

$1200-1500 range.
Rig only.
No periphs needed.

Ready go.

I am thinking about the build at Sharky Extreme: (i7 build)
Guide Here

Take out preiphs and it is 1500 on the nuts.

NICE!!! I love building new rigs with all of the research (hardware reviews, performance comparisons, pricing, etc.) leading up to where you get to build it. Ejony!

Yea, also looking for what others would build.....I am an Intel Nvidia guy myself, but always open to different builds. Don't think I will go liquid cooled....I just don't trust it.

What are you running now? I was considering either building me a new machine or building a putting together a cheaper system for my niece to play on. She's getting into gaming (Minecraft right now) and right now I have my 7 year old AMD 4400+ with a GTX 260 set up for her. My current system is 3 years old. It's a first gen Core i5 750. I have a Corsair H50 liquid CPU cooler on it and I was able to take it to 4.2GHz without exceeding the max design temps or getting errors after 8 hours of stress testing. Any higher and got too hot and got errors after a few hours, but would probably not effect gaming. I wouldn't go for a full liquid setup either, just too much complicated setup IMO, but take look at the Corsair liquid CPU coolers, they are completely silent.

Anyway, I still have my system at the stock 2.66GHz, and still runs everything I play maxed out. I don't need to upgrade, but it's either build a new gaming rig for me (which I usually plan for ~$1000ish) and let her use this one or I'm thinking of spending <$500 for something like a Core i3 micro ATX build.

MeanJim on Steam

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 22:12 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 15:14:
We get cases of west nile here in Minnesota (land of actually 20,000 lakes which are breeding ponds) and it never makes the news. I know people who have gotten it and I also have friends who got Lyme's disease. It is just known it is a risk of living here and you prepare appropriately.....maybe cause you guys don't get as many mosquitoes? I dunno. Kinda weird.

/thanks Major - I will take a look...

The town I went to college in was surrounded by farms, catfish ponds and rice fields, and aerial mosquito spraying was a normal thing there. It's the quickest, easiest way to cover large areas. Where I grew up and where I live now have trucks that drive around spraying at night. I remember as a kid riding our bikes behind the truck when they came through the neighborhood and I turned out fine.

MeanJim on Steam

23. World’s most expensive speakers. Aug 17, 2012, 21:04 jdreyer

My god those are ugly. Looks like a couple of mutated alien fetuses on stakes.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 21:02 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:19:
Rig building time:

$1200-1500 range.
Rig only.
No periphs needed.

Ready go.

I am thinking about the build at Sharky Extreme: (i7 build)
Guide Here

Take out preiphs and it is 1500 on the nuts.

I just did a build, and disagree with some of those parts.

1. CPU. You don't need a core i7 unless you're doing heavy video editing. A core i5 will do you fine. And the 2600K is an older sandy bridge part. Go with ivy bridge: Intel Core i5-3570K (K is for unlocked multiplier)

2. Graphics. Splurge on your graphics card: get a GTX 670 which uses the new Kepler GPU. It's a beast that's future proof for years. The 560 is good, but it's older tech. I suggest either the Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce (which I bought) or Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II. Both of these are overclocked and offer almost the same perf as a GTX 680. My Windforce has three fans and is whisper quiet to boot. Some people are reporting stability problems with the ASUS over on Newegg, but the professional reviews have been shiny. The Gigabyte has good reviews by both reviewers and the public.

3. Case. Unless you live in a pristine environment, you're going to get dust in your case. My 8800GTX bought the farm after only 3 years after getting clogged and overheating. The HAF is a good case, but lacks removable washable dust covers. I went with a Raven RV3, one of the few cases that has dust covers that are removable from the side, so you don't have to pull them out from the rear. For the side and rear fan mounts I bought a couple of magnetic covers.

4. BRD Player. Up to you, but you could go with a DVD RW for $20 instead of the $80 for the BRD Player. I only watch BRDs on my TV using my set top player. Optical drives are going by the wayside.

Hope this helps.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 18:53 Cutter

The entire premise for the Hunger Games is pretty ridiculous. It may be hugely popular, but it's poor pulp fiction to be sure.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 18:20 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 16:45:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 16:37:
Only read the first book after seeing the movie. Skip the movie, read the book and be content.

My thoughts exactly. It is a G movie, should have been an R movie.

I actually heard a woman behind me gasp as one of the kids got stabbed, during the movie. I wanted to go "did you not know what this movie was about???"

Skip the movie, read the book and be content.

Good advice for most movies based off of books. I've gotten to where now, if I do see a movie based off a book, I try to see it first, to avoid disappointment. The movies so rarely live up to the source material...

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 16:45 xXBatmanXx

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 16:37:
Only read the first book after seeing the movie. Skip the movie, read the book and be content.

My thoughts exactly. It is a G movie, should have been an R movie.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 16:37 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 15:53 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 15:21:
So - all I have seen is advertisement for 'The Hunger Games' being released tonight at midnight - not that I am going to rush out and buy it - but I was wondering if it is any good.

Everyone else seemed to love it, but I wasn't very impressed. Like a teen version of The Running Man or something...

I read the books and saw the movie - thought it was pretty good, but the movie was definitely B grade movie. The effects and settings sucked ass.

Seriously Alien Apocolypse was better gfx.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404756/

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 15:21 nin

So - all I have seen is advertisement for 'The Hunger Games' being released tonight at midnight - not that I am going to rush out and buy it - but I was wondering if it is any good.

Everyone else seemed to love it, but I wasn't very impressed. Like a teen version of The Running Man or something...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 15:17 MajorD

I wanted to quickly write another post because I am sitting at post number 666 right now. Wink

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 15:14 xXBatmanXx

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 14:04:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:26:
West Nile aerial attack creates controversy in virus-stricken Dallas.

Dallas is suffering from the nation's deadliest outbreak of West Nile virus this year. Ten people have died and more than 200 others have fallen ill in less than two months, prompting leaders to declare a state of emergency. But aerial spraying is controversial because of safety concerns, cost and effectiveness.

How many people live in Dallas?
I think there are worse things to worry about than West Nile......

I do, but haven't really worried about this. Mosquitoes generally don't bite me anyway. My wife is a different story. She has to hose herself down with bug spray.

Was listening to someone talk about it on NPR yesterday. Apparently it's a pretty small percentage of people that will have any serious problem from the virus. Most won't have symptoms at all, some will just get a slight fever or headache. A small percentage will get a really bad headache and flu-like symptoms. The really bad cases (in the low single digits %-wise) can develop Encephalitis or Meningitis, which is where you get the fatalities. Glad they're spraying, but it will likely get worse before it gets better.

We get cases of west nile here in Minnesota (land of actually 20,000 lakes which are breeding ponds) and it never makes the news. I know people who have gotten it and I also have friends who got Lyme's disease. It is just known it is a risk of living here and you prepare appropriately.....maybe cause you guys don't get as many mosquitoes? I dunno. Kinda weird.

/thanks Major - I will take a look...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 15:12 MajorD

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 14:02:
Yea, also looking for what others would build.....I am an Intel Nvidia guy myself, but always open to different builds. Don't think I will go liquid cooled....I just don't trust it.

I built the following almost a year and a half ago already, and don't even want to see how much the pricing has dropped since either. Wink I am an Intel and NVida fan as well; any time I have strayed, I have ironically had issues and not as good of performance.

The system has been rock solid and have been 'very' happy with the peformance:

- CM Storm Sniper 'Black Edition'
- RAIDMAX RX-1200AE 1200W PSU (Raidmax has gotten a bad wrap in the past, this PS has been rock solid).
- Intel i7 2600K (Rocken' at 4.8GHz)
- Cooler Master V6GT (Top-Notch air cooling for OC'ing i7 2600K - has push/pull fan configuration) - When system is taxed, it is a bit noisy, but I can't really hear it over game sound via speakers or headphones.
- G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
- ASRock P67 Extreme 6 (This thing ROCKS!!!)
- ocZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, SATA III (Incredible)
- Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB, SATA III
- Dual EVGA GTX 580 – SLI

I hope that helps. Have fun....

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 15:12 nin

Mosquitoes generally don't bite me anyway. My wife is a different story. She has to hose herself down with bug spray.

I have the same problem as your wife - something about me just draws the mosquitoes for miles. There was one 4th of July where I ended up with like 30 bites on my legs. Insane...as such, I'm not a very outdoorsy person.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo