Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion

Rebellion Developments (Rogue Warrior, Aliens vs Predator, Sniper Elite) is suing Stardock Entertainment and Ironclad Games in an Eastern Michigan district court for trademark violation over the use of the word "rebellion" in the title of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. Rebellion is asking for damages for being "deprived of substantial sales of its products" and for "the value of its trademarks as commercial assets." GameSpot notes: "Rebellion provided several examples where it claimed consumers would have been easily misled, including promotional materials which displayed the word 'Rebellion' much larger than the preceding 'Sins of a Solar Empire' and some that referred to the game only by the disputed trademark." Thanks Joao.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

12. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:15 Jerykk

Wow. This is a pretty desperate cash grab. I guess Epic should sue anyone that uses "Epic" in their titles.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:12 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 23:09:
Follow up question to my last one. Who here would look at the title for the game and go "Ooh! I have to buy that because Rebellion made it!".
Actually I think most people would flee if they saw a game made by Rebellion.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:09 NegaDeath

Follow up question to my last one. Who here would look at the title for the game and go "Ooh! I have to buy that because Rebellion made it!".  

9. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:08 Wallshadows

I would have to wonder what kind of idiot it would take to confuse this with Rebellion Developments...

...then again, in the world of trademarks and copyrights, nothing really shocks me anymore with how far things tend to get out of hand.

8. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:08 nin

Good luck with that, Rebellion. Hope it gets tossed quickly...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:06 Hump

Copyright/Trademark law. benefiting only lawyers and untalented hacks since time immemorial.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

6. removed Aug 16, 2012, 23:05 Mashiki Amiketo

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 17, 2012, 11:32.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

5. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:05 hb3d

Someone needs to sue Rebellion over Rogue Warrior.  

4. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:05 NegaDeath

Hands up anyone who was actually confused as they described.
*crickets*

3. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:04 Sepharo

Time to bust out the Quake 3.  

2. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:02 Flux99

one crappy game company suing another crappy game company.  

1. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 22:58 Mashiki Amiketo

Yeah...I think 1903 called, and every communist movement since with the raised fist has them beat on that. What next? They're going to sue blizzard because Rayors Raiders has a picture with iconic rebellion imagery in it?  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo