Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion

Rebellion Developments (Rogue Warrior, Aliens vs Predator, Sniper Elite) is suing Stardock Entertainment and Ironclad Games in an Eastern Michigan district court for trademark violation over the use of the word "rebellion" in the title of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. Rebellion is asking for damages for being "deprived of substantial sales of its products" and for "the value of its trademarks as commercial assets." GameSpot notes: "Rebellion provided several examples where it claimed consumers would have been easily misled, including promotional materials which displayed the word 'Rebellion' much larger than the preceding 'Sins of a Solar Empire' and some that referred to the game only by the disputed trademark." Thanks Joao.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 04:33 FloorPie

Enter Darth LucasArts....

StarWars Rebellion

Aka the game of opening and closing game windows.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 04:31 Jonny

InBlack wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 04:12:
How can any 'sane' person of a relatively normal conscience even attempt something like this kind of litigation??? First Bethesda with "Scrolls" and now Rebellion with "Rebellion".

What is wrong with you people!!!????

I don't think they've got any choice. As far as I know with US law, if you've got a trademark and don't aggressively protect it you'll lose it. Obviously their lawyers have decided it's similar enough that if they don't sue, even if they know it's bullshit and will get thrown out, they could be seen to be not protecting their trademark.

Blame US law, in other words. It's become twisted over the years to where it only vaguely resembles the original intention of protecting people and companies from chancers and thieves.

30. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 04:18 finga

I just don't understand how people grow up thinking that it's OK to do things like this to people just like them - indie developers trying to make it in the world of big bad publishers - and are still able to sleep at night. Their parents didn't raise them right, and for some reason, other people earlier in their lives didn't call them on their bullshit and stop them from getting to where they are now. You see this kind of thing so often in US litigation.  

29. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 04:12 InBlack

How can any 'sane' person of a relatively normal conscience even attempt something like this kind of litigation??? First Bethesda with "Scrolls" and now Rebellion with "Rebellion".

What is wrong with you people!!!????

I have a nifty blue line!

28. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 01:51 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 00:28:
I'm sorry, but in order for customers to have "easily been misled", they would have had to know that something known as "rebellion developments" existed.

I imagine few people did. Ergo, your lawsuit is a bunch of fucking horseshit. Like 99% of all lawsuits in this country.

Creston

Yikes. That's almost exactly the words I was going to write, including the horseshit part, verbatim. Good job Creston!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

27. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 01:48 .Drifter

Heck, Stardock and Ironclad Games ought to sue Rebellion for lost sales, stating that because people confused the name with theirs, and they refused to buy Sins.  

26. Re: The worms are rebelling Aug 17, 2012, 01:31 eRe4s3r

That's how civil lawsuits in Germany work.. you can guess how many frivolous suits there are  

25. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 00:28 Creston

I'm sorry, but in order for customers to have "easily been misled", they would have had to know that something known as "rebellion developments" existed.

I imagine few people did. Ergo, your lawsuit is a bunch of fucking horseshit. Like 99% of all lawsuits in this country.

Creston

24. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 00:09 Cutter

Rebellion is really that desperate for cash? They must know there's no possible way they can win this or they have the worst lawyers on earth.

The Moron in a Hurry Test.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

23. Re: The worms are rebelling Aug 17, 2012, 00:01 Axis

Frankenstein should sue Christopher Kingsley for stealing his trademark flat head and dopey face...

I don't know what I hate more, pricks like this or the laws that allow this shit to happen.

I'm tellin ya folks, the only way a majority of this stupid shit will stop is if they enact the "whoever loses the suit (or if it's thrown out) pays all the cost".

Yours truly,

Axis

22. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:58 Dev

Yes, because surely people are going to confuse a game title with a company name. Rite  

21. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:54 ASeven

Honestly, trademarking is going waaay too far at this point.  

20. The worms are rebelling Aug 16, 2012, 23:49 eRe4s3r

Because the name of the creator of Rogue Warrior is something everyone want's to lure customers in with...... yuck! Not only make they piece of crap games, but they are IP trolls as well, congrats Rebellion, you can always sink lower, apparently!  

19. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:47 Prez

I will never stop finding these suits to be asinine. You do not own the word assholes.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:40 nin

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 23:34:
nin wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 23:19:
There was a time, shortly after their first AVP, when I would have. But that was a looong time ago. I will say sniper elite v2 was at least enjoyable, but prior to that, they'd been in a bit of a rut.

I'm still mad Rebellion acquired the Evil Genius IP and turned it into a crappy facebook game with no plans for a proper sequel. I love the original so very much.

Wow, I'd never heard that! That DOES suck! Always wondered why we didn't see another of those...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:34 NegaDeath

nin wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 23:19:
There was a time, shortly after their first AVP, when I would have. But that was a looong time ago. I will say sniper elite v2 was at least enjoyable, but prior to that, they'd been in a bit of a rut.

I'm still mad Rebellion acquired the Evil Genius IP and turned it into a crappy facebook game with no plans for a proper sequel. I love the original so very much.

16. This suit opens up a can of worms. Aug 16, 2012, 23:21 hb3d

Rebellion's court filing really opens a big can of worms given how broad Rebellion's existing trademark is worded and given how many video games have had the word "rebellion" in the name. Even Mass Effect 3 has a DLC pack named Rebellion. I wonder if this lawsuit is just the first salvo in a string of similar lawsuits.

15. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:19 nin

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 23:09:
Follow up question to my last one. Who here would look at the title for the game and go "Ooh! I have to buy that because Rebellion made it!".

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:19 deqer

Cool, I didn't know you own the word "Rebellion"

Selfish much?

13. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 16, 2012, 23:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

Flux99 wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 23:02:
one crappy game company suing another crappy game company.

Heretic! Ironclad is awesome! The Sins of a Solar Empire games are excellent. Rebellion Developments, not so much.

Also, a quick google search turns up a LOT of games/projects using the word rebellion. One would think the judge is going to laugh this out of court before RD starts a dozen different lawsuits.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo